Iphone screen protector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Need an Iphone screen protector , don't want to spend a fortune .

Seen this on Ebay , is it any good ?

iPhone 3G / 3GS screen protector / cover / guard. ANTI-GLARE. Free P&P!! | eBay

Not sure if it is a hard plastic cover which might stop it working ?

Or am i looking for a 'clingfilm' type thing ?

Sorry for the questions , never had a 'smartphone' before. :eek:

I'm not too technical myself Howard, but the screen protector I've got on this iPhone has a sort of a matt finish and it *seems* to be more durable than the glossy types covers.

Is it hard plastic or soft like film ?

I bought a screen cover and back cover for £2.99 off eBay about a year ago and it works fine. Plenty scratches on the covers now so they've done their job

lol , yes and no.

Thanks all.

Bought it now. If it's carp , it's only 99p gone. :thumb:

Why do you need one? These days, smartphones usually have Gorilla Glass, which is incredibly tough and scratch resistant.

This is Pete said:
Why do you need one? These days, smartphones usually have Gorilla Glass, which is incredibly tough and scratch resistant.

Three smashed iPhones tell me otherwise. I use film on mine (99p for 10 of fleabay) and it's definitely saved me another visit to the 'genius bar' at least once.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is fitted with this, but the iPhone is not, the 3gs iPhone certainly won't, its a 2 to 3 year old design. I've not bothered protecting mine, as it lives in the car or a pocket.

Ok, so you're saying that a thin layer of plastic film would be strong enough to protect your screen from cracking if you happened to whack it against something hard? And something that's sharp enough to scratch one of those screens would just slice right through any screen protector.

But if a piece of film makes you feel safer, then that's fine I guess.... I just don't think they do any good at all; if anything, they'll just make the screen less touch responsive and harder to read in particular lighting conditions.

Mine's a stick on type and I've never had any problems with the touch screen.

Ok, so you're saying that a thin layer of plastic film would be strong enough to protect your screen from cracking if you happened to whack it against something hard? And something that's sharp enough to scratch one of those screens would just slice right through any screen protector.

No, but it may protect it from scratches etc. Keys in pocket, certainly a reasonable knock it might mean the difference between a ok screen and a crack. Its another layer of protection, and will potentially save the phone.

But if a piece of film makes you feel safer, then that's fine I guess.... I just don't think they do any good at all; if anything, they'll just make the screen less touch responsive and harder to read in particular lighting conditions.

Who cares, its 99p. I find the iPhone screens a tad too sensitive.

I've not got a screen protector, just a nice rubber case and at a tenner on a £330 phone I bought not a bad idea.

I've had one of the ones from the O2 website on mine for a year near enough.
No probs at all.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is fitted with this, but the iPhone is not, the 3gs iPhone certainly won't, its a 2 to 3 year old design. I've not bothered protecting mine, as it lives in the car or a pocket.

Beg to differ. After Googling "iPhone Gorilla Glass"

LINK

But I expect you can equally ably find a link to dispute this.

But I expect you can equally ably find a link to dispute this.

Indeed I have (you're on the money for the 4, but we're talking about a 3gS in this thread)

iPhone 3G Front Panel Assembly - iFixit

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/431920-gorilla-glass-4.html

Post 162.

Although trauling the web, I may think you may be right. Looks like no one knows.

I'd say its worth fitting if you're worried. I've got a big rubber case on mine and tend to look after it, so it will be fine.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is more rugged, but it means you're lumbered with an Andriod phone...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom