• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

iPod 30pin to bluetooth receivers - anyone used?

theclass

Car
c class
Hi All

Was just wondering if anyones tried or had any luck with the variety of cheap bluetooth receivers that convert your 30pin iPod connector to receive bluetooth?

I have a 2011 W212 with the Audio 50 interface, at the moment i've got an old iPod permanently connected but i've seen devices such as: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HFWQ0I6/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
Reviews seem to suggest people have had some luck with their cars, would be great to get some feedback from MB owners however, above is just one example, Ebay and Amazon is full of quite a few similar devices.

I did see a ViseeO device that will work (£70 I believe) but its more of a nice to have hence dont mind spending £15 or so if that will work, otherwise will stick to the current ipod permanently in the car.

Last edited:
I got one connect that sits in the glovebox, work fine (sound is not a good but its just more convenient). I think I got my one from eBay, not really that expensive.

I connect my phone or iPad to play music.

Ah, do you know which brand you have or have you got a link?

I assumed sound quality would be the same as its digital, didnt realise it would be affected! wonder if it streams at a lower bitrate or something.

Sorry, got mine ages ago... So I don't know the brand or have a link.

Just get any cheap bluetooth one and it will work.

I tried several from Amazon and none of them worked for me.

I have Dension Ipod interface in my car.

Then I bought a APT-X Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Board Wireless Stereo Music Module iPhone PC | eBay

and wired it up to turn on ignition. This is connected via the 3.5mm connector in the glove box. Since board has an amplifier, this gets around the problem of low input volume. If your phone supports APT X, better sound quality over bluetooth too.

Only downside is the track listings not displayed on the central screen

I've just ordered one for my CLS, only a cheap one for now so will give that a try when it arrives.

I certainly will. :thumb:

I thought for a fiver it's worth a go.

Wireless Bluetooth Music Receiver Adapter to 30-Pin Speaker for iPod iPhone O3N9 | eBay

I actually use one of these in my E Class. It's a bluetooth receive that puts out a radio signal. So I essentially tune my radio into my iPhone via this. The sound quality isn't as good as directly off a CD but for audiobooks/podcasts it's ideal.

844EF223-EF46-4701-B2ED-3557831C9A31_zps4yhl6tws.jpg

Not bad for £10! Not all this cheap Chinese stuff is terrible by default.

One of the reviews said there was an error on the dash however once you clicked play on the iPod it started working, just incase you run into the same issue..

FYI - I am running a OEM iPod kit in my glove box.

I got my bluetooth receiver from eBay.

I tried a cheap one and it didn't work in my w211 ipod kit. I purchased a Viseeo tune2air unit and that worked flawlessly. The do not make the ipod connector ones anymore (copyright) so keep a look out for 2nd hand ones.

Well my 30 Pin to Bluetooth adapter came through the post yesterday so I got outside and tested it in my CLS this evening.

IMG_8147_zpsoyhunzuu.jpeg

Paired it up no problem, although there was no password the name of the device was different to the instructions.

Although it powers up the device it does give an error on the dashboard.

IMG_8148_zps9ul2fogm.jpeg

BUT......it works!!! Even with that error, which I assume is because it can't interface properly with the device it plays really well. Sound quality was decent enough to listen to music and anything spoken would be 100% listenable.

Worth a shot for £5 and at least updates that 30 Pin connector to something a bit more relevant!

Worth a try for the price.

The iPod menu will be blank or error as it's not OEM and your steering wheel buttons won't work. Just change the song via your device.

Passengers can now pair their device to your car and play their song list. Also, they will be able to choose the volume level via their device.

Well my 30 Pin to Bluetooth adapter came through the post yesterday so I got outside and tested it in my CLS this evening.

Paired it up no problem, although there was no password the name of the device was different to the instructions.

Although it powers up the device it does give an error on the dashboard.

BUT......it works!!! Even with that error, which I assume is because it can't interface properly with the device it plays really well. Sound quality was decent enough to listen to music and anything spoken would be 100% listenable.

Worth a shot for £5 and at least updates that 30 Pin connector to something a bit more relevant!
Ah thanks for the update, did you find a difference in quality in bluetooth vs iPod directly connected?

Worth a try for the price.

The iPod menu will be blank or error as it's not OEM and your steering wheel buttons won't work. Just change the song via your device.

Passengers can now pair their device to your car and play their song list. Also, they will be able to choose the volume level via their device.

I did half expect it to display like that but it's not the end of the world, not for a fiver haha :thumb:

Like you say, can change songs from the device or just create a play list and let it roll.

I used to have a 32gb iPhone 4 in the CLS but found it tended to play the songs like a big playlist anyway. My iPhone 7 has about 40gb of music on anyway so this will do me nicely.

Ah thanks for the update, did you find a difference in quality in bluetooth vs iPod directly connected?

I can't say there was a marked drop in sound quality. If you're a real audiophile you may notice but it sounded ok from how I tested it last night.

Thanks for the update, I'll have a think, its quite nice seeing the track names and having steering wheel controls, tradeoff for having bluetooth might be too much.

There may be other models out there that can do the names/wheel controls and essentially fool the system into thinking it's an iPod but I suspect most of these products are made on the cheap.

Alternatively could you not go for a 30 pin to lightning adapter? That may still interface properly. :)

There may be other models out there that can do the names/wheel controls and essentially fool the system into thinking it's an iPod but I suspect most of these products are made on the cheap.

Alternatively could you not go for a 30 pin to lightning adapter? That may still interface properly. :)

Trouble is the interface is in the glovebox and I cannot put my phone there, I use Google maps for example, if it was in the armrest area then yes a lightning adapter would have been the ideal solution :)

Trouble is the interface is in the glovebox and I cannot put my phone there, I use Google maps for example, if it was in the armrest area then yes a lightning adapter would have been the ideal solution :)

Cables come in many lengths :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom