• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Is it £5k to replace a 3.7 metre electric garage door?

Our son recently had a similar sized up and over electric door installed. Lives in Hornchurch so zone 6. Cost was about £1800. Hormann made the door. Looks very good quality.

We had a 5m Garador 4 section 40mm installed for about £2K seven years ago.

(Garador are Hormann).

Even with seven years inflation £5K sounds a lot.

2019 had 2 single sectional doors fitted.
Trims to match over existing timber frame. A tad under £3900. Very happy with them, novoferm. Went for those over Hornman down to design, colour and price. 45mm thick

I did all my own diy and decorating until I peaked and did twelve rooms in twelve months. After that I've let other people do... a far better job...

So I'm looking to get someone in to do it, renewing the remote control and motor mechanism, as well as fitting a new door. "Soup to nuts" as we used to say.

I reckon the local tradesmen rates will be twice that of the folks in Wales or Scotland - don't begrudge that, it's expensive to live down here.

I'm sympathetic to the insulated roller door case, but the Obergruppenführer reckons that we have to match the existing doors of our neighbours

So maybe £3k to get the job done?

Door, motor, remote control & gizmos, with freshly finished door frame...?

Any recommendations for a good quality door & motor? Hörmann ?

How much to change the wife? 🤔😂😂

Last month www.roluxuk.com converted my 2-door garage into a single door garage. This involved removing the centre brick support and adding an RSJ beam. The door is 5m wide, sectional with windows and wood grain effect (white) and two remote controls - all for £6.5k, so £5.5k for what you need seems a lot. You might want to give them a call and see what they can offer you. They are based up North but work through out the UK. You may also want to give the the following companies a call too as they offered competitive quotes when I was doing my search - Eastern Garage Doors, Doormatic Garage doors and Garage Doors Luton.

I had a pair of Horman 40mm insulated sectional electric doors fitted 20 years ago and they were about £1400 each even back then.
On the plus side they've gone up & down , twice a day, nearly every day for 20 years and never had a problem bar one snapped spring.
We’ve also got them & they are good. You get what you pay for......

I did all my own diy and decorating until I peaked and did twelve rooms in twelve months. After that I've let other people do... a far better job...

So I'm looking to get someone in to do it, renewing the remote control and motor mechanism, as well as fitting a new door. "Soup to nuts" as we used to say.

I reckon the local tradesmen rates will be twice that of the folks in Wales or Scotland - don't begrudge that, it's expensive to live down here.

I'm sympathetic to the insulated roller door case, but the Obergruppenführer reckons that we have to match the existing doors of our neighbours

So maybe £3k to get the job done?

Door, motor, remote control & gizmos, with freshly finished door frame...?

Any recommendations for a good quality door & motor? Hörmann ?

In a previous life, I used to help out my son who cut his teeth selling, and later, running his own business selling and installing garage doors. He could offer makes that were cheaper than Hormann, but at the end of the day, the labour cost was similar, so the difference was in the retail cost of the door and Hormann doors were well worth the extra for quality (i.e metal thickness) and reliability. Incidentally, Hormann doors come with metal frames so installation is relatively straightforward.

If I remember correctly, a single, fully retracting door installed with remote opening/closing came to around £780 incl VAT in 2008, in Scotland....although that could vary, depending on what make of car was at the door!

If the funds are available, I would recommend Hormann.

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom