Is muffler delete in the UK allowed and how?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A1EK

Car
Mercedes SL 3.7L AMG Speedshift - (Past: CLK 230, 190E, W201, W203)
Hello

My rear back exhaust box I notice has a very slight leak at the seam and got me thinking about opening it up and removing the internal mufflers for a better sound as I only have a CLK230 Kompressor but wished I had a deeper roar to my exhaust !

I am in the UK, so does anyone know that if I remove the internal mufflers but keep the back box still, will my car pass the MOT emissions and sound levels still?

Also how easy is it to open up the back box and how do you re-seal the metal case, weld it?

It'll just be noisy and after a long motorway drive you'll want to throw yourself off a pier

It'll just be noisy and after a long motorway drive you'll want to throw yourself off a pier

LOL appreciate that, I did doubt it would be worth it.

There are noise limits, but it usually comes down to the MOT bloke's descretion.

If he's got a hangover, you're more likely to fail..

My SL500 has no centre muffler, only the OE cat and a rear 'sports' muffler of unknown make; it sounds wonderful under power, but on light throttle and cruising at around 75-80 mph it's not antisocially noisy. It passed the MoT test without problem.

There are a few C63 owners on here who have posted recordings of their cars' exhausts, and some of those I would describe as antisocially noisy, but they seem to pass the MoT test OK.

The only way to find out is to try it. Try just removing the rear box and starting the car; that should give you a clue as to what it might be like. If it sounds OK, the next step is to put some sort of tailpipe on it and drive it, and see how it sounds. If you don't like it, just put the rear box back on.

Last edited:
Try listening to the occasional muffle-less motorcycle that roars passed our homes, then having a loud car exhaust seems insignificant.

My SL500 has no centre muffler, only the OE cat and a rear 'sports' muffler of unknown make; it sounds wonderful under power, but on light throttle and cruising at around 75-80 mph it's not antisocially noisy. It passed the MoT test without problem.

There are a few C63 owners on here who have posted recordings of their cars' exhausts, and some of those I would describe as antisocially noisy, but they seem to pass the MoT test OK.

The only way to find out is to try it. Try just removing the rear box and starting the car; that should give you a clue as to what it might be like. If it sounds OK, the next step is to put some sort of tailpipe on it and drive it, and see how it sounds. If you don't like it, just put the rear box back on.

Has anyone got experience of opening up the rear box they can add?

I know of one C63 owner on here who has an ASBO for noise! :bannana::D

Is there any better sound than a C63....

Only one I can think of is a C63 on my driveway would sound even better!

I have a clk 55 AMG muffler for sale if you are interested

hmmm, I wonder if that would sound good ! although my engine is like half the size ;)

I had a muffler and secondary cat delete on my clk55 and that sounded mental. BUT it droned a little around 2.5-3k rpm. No biggy if you're used to a moderately loud exhaust.

Not sure how it will sound with the 230's 4 cylinder lump though...

Although not likely to fail the MOT, home modded exhausts often drone. If its nearly u/s then try it as the worst case is you need a new exhaust anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom