• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Is this a good buy? 1977 Mercedes SL

Well unless you're doing the work yourself, you'll need several grand to see it on the road again!

At least the seller is honest with the rust, and isn't being greedy on the price :)

Will

Yup a nice straight advert ... makes a change!

The owner cannot even be bothered to push it out of the garage to takes pics or clean it up a bit...

Love the comment " potentially get it back on the road without spending a huge amount of money, and have themselves a cheap summer car"

I think if you just send £10,000 to my western union account it will almost feel the same as buying that car and getting it road worthy.

:)

Sorry, unless its worth that in bits I'd run

It's surely a fair price for a complete car? Many good spares etc. Just probably not a viable project for most people if you're paying for the work.

Some people like the 'fun' of restoration, in that case, it might be ideal :)

Will

I appreciate the money it stands is fair.

I just feel to get that to a standard you would be happy with would cost an awful lot. I also agree doing it up could be fun.

:)

You would probably make on it just buying it and storing it in a garage for another 10 years as long as you put it in one of them air bubble things so the rust doesn't turn it to powder.

being offered for sale, as a non-runner, for spares or repair ONLY
PLEASE read all the text below, and engage brain fully before bidding/buying.
Obviously, it may have deteriorated in the past years, and it is not possible to now say how much work it will need to put it back on the road. I reckon that anyone who has the time, space, inclination and know-how could potentially get it back on the road without spending a huge amount of money, and have themselves a cheap summer car.
The car MUST be trailered/towed away
Please also bear in mind that this car will not magically transform into something it is not - do not expect to be able to stick some petrol in it, take it for an MOT, and start using it!

That all sounds fair enough to me.

What sort of budget do you reckon to get tidy and on the road....Coupe has gone now by the way....

Very deep money pit....

hmmmmmmmm, dont think my budget will stretch to such a big money pit......maybe stick to the R129 that runs already

definatly worth all of the £1.2k in spares.

fixable (anything is) but at what cost - probably needs £2k easily, unless you are doing the work yourself.

You can double that figure and then some. A new plenum chamber panel is £2k - purely for the labour to remove the entire dash.

Don't even think about it!

You can double that figure and then some. A new plenum chamber panel is £2k - purely for the labour to remove the entire dash.

Don't even think about it!

luckily my plenum chambers are OK; but you can do an alternative fix by removing the grilles, cutting and bending back the metal, treating the rust, applying fibreglass matting and/or secure metal plate in, then welding back the metal and then putting the grilles back on. all according to chriss bass's buyers guide...... its a popular alternative to the costs involved in removing the dash etc.

it does depend on how much rust and how the buyer intends to fix it up. it may not require too much costs to get it MOT-able and safe - however of course to get it looking good is another matter.

i'm currently doing mine, and so far costs have been OK but my car was ok-ish to begin with....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom