It's a small world out there..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Just popped up to Homebase in my Auto 2.5-16, when I came out I see a guy looking through the window etc at the car :rolleyes:

As I unlock it with the remote, he tells me that he used to own it.. :confused:

I must admit that at first I was a little sceptical/surprised, as I didn't buy it very locally ;)

After a minute chatting to him it appeared he certainly did own it, was quite weird! :eek:

This car has been all over the country during it's life it seems, I think this guy was from Somerset way and we got chatting about some of the work that had been done to it over the years etc.

Just struck me as quite a random situation, you very rarely see your own old cars on the road, and bearing in mind how little use this car gets, and how far away it has come from, the odds of someone spotting it round here are pretty low. I now know who is responsible for some of the bits that were done to it over the years. I've probably got his name on some of the paperwork, there's shed loads with this car - literally thousands and thousands over the years.

Certainly made for a random moment.

Oh and I saw Peter's C43 on the way :D:cool:

Will

you very rarely see your own old cars on the road,

It's odd that, isn't it? I was thinking about it the other day - I've sold several cars fairly locally and never once seen them again.

I saw my old X5 a few months back. I hung about and spoke to the owners who were about 40 years my senior. He loved it, she said it was too powerful and ate petrol. She was right about the last bit. I'll never see its predecessor though-I sold it in Rochdale.

We used to have a shogun, see it all the time as it was sold locally when my old man px'd it for a rav4.Still feels odd seeing it.

Last edited:
Same, I've sold a couple, one not that far from me at all, yet still haven't seen any again.

I've seen a few cars that I've sold.

More recently saw our old A Class a few months ago. The weirdest one was seeing a car that I'd written just after I passed my test. Spotted it on Wilmslow Road in Rusholme, surprised that it ended up in a salvage auction and this guy got it back on the road - he was quite surprised when I asked him where he got the car from.

I saw my old N reg Ford Mondeo about 7/8 years ago - spoke to the new owner, who had lost the radio code - checked my diary and I still had it - so saved the new owner £25!

More recently, I took my V reg LandRover Freelander (now replaced by the ML) to the Isle of Wight, and met a chap who used to have the next reg. number up from it as a company car. Mine was originally driven by one of his colleagues.

That solved the mystery of the broken sunshine roof motors - apparently the car had been in for repair several times - till my mechanic, while replacing the motors, found a damaged operating cable which was causing the sunroof to open slanted, putting stress on the motors.

Saw my old B reg Ford XR2 in 1987, a year after selling it. It just drove past, but I recognised the stripes that I had paid a fortune for (in my "boy racer" days)

Saw my old C reg Audi 80 on a dealer's forecourt in 1990, 2 years after selling it - I was tempted to buy it back.

I also saw my old F reg Ford Granada regularly after I sold it - but then again I did sell it to my Dad...... !

I spotted the Caterham my brother used to own enroute to Goodwood FOS this year and ended up chatting to the guy in the car park, who remembered our surname from the previous owner on the V5 and was happy to talk and me to take some pics to send to my brother.

I can tell you I spotted the car far off in the distance and I'm sure the previous owner of your 190 only needed one good look. It's a petrol head thing!

I can tell you I spotted the car far off in the distance and I'm sure the previous owner of your 190 only needed one good look. It's a petrol head thing!

So true, I instant recognised mine even though it was on a different regi plate (he had a personalised one). One look inside and I knew

We bought a car once that had previously been in an accident. We knew this before we bought it and the price we paid reflected that.

Anyway, my brother had an accident while we had it and then got it fixed and gave it in as a part/ex at a dealers.

I saw the car again 6mths later in someones driveway with some heavy damage to the front of it.

I swear that car was cursed!

I saw the car again 6mths later in someones driveway with some heavy damage to the front of it.

I swear that car was cursed!

Or the filler fell out of your repair...

Oh and I saw Peter's C43 on the way :D:cool:
Was Peter in it.?
I've probably got his name on some of the paperwork, there's shed loads with this car - literally thousands and thousands over the years.
I thought you said 190's were reliable and cheap to repair....

I lied! Aaaaah, oops!

One car I sold to a guy in the village, he had it for 2 years, only he has since sold it now, so I saw it nearly every day! :D

Was Peter in it.?

Don't think so, it was parked at the time.

I thought you said 190's were reliable and cheap to repair....

Normal ones are. 2.5-16s not quite so much. They cost about twice the price of a 'cooking' model and the cost of spare parts reflects that.

The previous owner was a bit of a numpty though if I'm honest and spent fortunes on parts that weren't strictly needed - a classic example of mis-diagnosis of a fundamental problem. Still, I'm not complaining as it's full of fresh parts that should last the rest of the car's lifetime :bannana:

Will

Spotted my old Scorpio Cosworth 24v last year locally and stopped to talk to the current owner.

He had just bought it and was delighted that it had only done 60k miles. I pointed out to him that I had done 37k when I parted with it in 2000 (it is a P reg) and he looked a bit worried. Inconceivable that it had only done 23k miles over 4 further owners in 7 years.

Or the filler fell out of your repair...

...didn't think of that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom