I've been offered a free car :-) How to get it home...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Google "car delivery company". Loads of them out there

As someone above mentioned, would it not work out cheaper/safer/easier to have someone fix it where it stands and then go and get the train to drive it home?
Natacha

I wouldn't even contemplate towing under those circumstances, clearey illegal, significant issues with nose weight on towing vehicle. Hire suitable tow vehicle or try luck with AA...

Well the car is now at a local garage.

First impressions from my mechanic are sadly not that promising. The old injector is lying on the floor inside the car along with the bolt which holds it in. The threads on the bolt are stripped and the hole has been drilled out so the bolt falls right in and rattles about, no idea why, the mechanic said he wouldn't be surprised if it's been drilled right through, id imagine that would be easy enough to check, but the garage was extremely busy with other cars this morning. The other thing my mechanic couldn't understand is why the car had broken down in the first place, claiming that even with a bad injector it should have still been driveable, he thinks the high pressure fuel pump is more likely to have failed. Not sure how much this all might cost, the car is an 05 e270 Avantgarde.

Andrew

You can still helicoil that bolt hole, and it might be as good as thread cut in to the head (if not better). - Obviously that doesn't help if it's been drilled through, but I'm sure there's a fix for that too.

A high pressure pump might not be cheap, but it's still cheaper than a replacement car. - I think you're still ahead here.

If you decide to tow it on a trailer, make sure that you have something with surge brakes

Well the car is now at a local garage.

First impressions from my mechanic are sadly not that promising. The old injector is lying on the floor inside the car along with the bolt which holds it in. The threads on the bolt are stripped and the hole has been drilled out so the bolt falls right in and rattles about, no idea why, the mechanic said he wouldn't be surprised if it's been drilled right through, id imagine that would be easy enough to check, but the garage was extremely busy with other cars this morning. The other thing my mechanic couldn't understand is why the car had broken down in the first place, claiming that even with a bad injector it should have still been driveable, he thinks the high pressure fuel pump is more likely to have failed. Not sure how much this all might cost, the car is an 05 e270 Avantgarde.

Andrew
If that bolt hole has been drilled out , there is a danger it might have gone into the water gallery below ...

There are professional car transporters moving between Ireland and England every week. I think that it costs about €4-500 per vehicle, why don't you contact one of these services? Try Google :- Vehicle transport services UK to Ireland.
I have recovered many vehicles, but in this case, I would only use a tilt-bed truck, with tie-down straps etc. Would not even think of using a trailer in this case.

There are professional car transporters moving between Ireland and England every week. I think that it costs about €4-500 per vehicle, why don't you contact one of these services? Try Google :- Vehicle transport services UK to Ireland.
I have recovered many vehicles, but in this case, I would only use a tilt-bed truck, with tie-down straps etc. Would not even think of using a trailer in this case.

Please see above....... OP has already recovered the vehicle

Just buy a helicoil kit, take a cordless drill and socket set and repair it yourself then drive it home if your mechanically minded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom