Just brought my first Mercedes CLA C180

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Southside691

Car
CLA
Only picked it up last night but I'm already thing about buy a tuning box/chip for it. Can anyone on here recommend/advice?

TIA

If brand new and / or on finance, pause and read the small print.

Oh and pics also....:D

Brought it where?

This annoys me so much living in Norfolk. More people say brought than not [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This annoys me so much living in Norfolk. More people say brought than not [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drives me nuts to the point of ignoring posts and offering up any advice.

Sorry guys, that should have read bought!

Private sale, 64 plate CL180 AMG auto, petrol.

Only picked it up last night but I'm already thing about buy a tuning box/chip for it. Can anyone on here recommend/advice?

TIA

what do you want from your chip?
- more power / torque
- smoother running
- bette rmpg?

I assume you bought the car outright and not on MB finance...

what do you want from your chip?
- more power / torque
- smoother running
- bette rmpg?

I assume you bought the car outright and not on MB finance...

more power really ......

car was bought outright but I've purchased the Mercedes warranty now so I will need a way of removing it if it ever goes in!

You could try a Bluespark tuning box, I have one on my 2015 SLK R172 200 1.8 petrol turbo, it certainly makes a difference, the box intercepts Boost and Map censors. Don`t let anyone convince you that a tuning box will damage your engine, (it won`t), (1) modern engines run very lean, to achieve this safely they have very sensitive Knock sensors which totally protect the engine from a too lean mixture which is the only real danger to a petrol engine from a tuning box or remap. A tuning box does not and cannot interfere with the safety parameters written within the engine map as the tuning box cannot access and alter those safety settings, a remap can. If the engine tries to go outside the lean limits set within it`s maps it will richen the mixture, show a CEL and maybe go into limp mode ( I am on max setting), (2) Modern engines also have a wide band lambda sensor to keep emissions within limits, this again controls the fuel mixture throughout the rev range and again will keep the engine fueling correct. Prior to the wide band sensor narrow band was used which could only monitor fueling when cruising, that`s why tuning boxes were bad news prior to wide band Lambda`s, if the Lambda goes out of range ( too lean ) the ECM will again richen the mixture for safety and put a CEL on dash. This has not happened to me.

The box I have cost £175, Bluespark give a 28 day money back guarantee, I have also disabled the stop/start function by disconnecting the sensor on the negative rail of the starter battery. The SLK recently passed it`s MOT with the box connected and the sensor disconnected, I hope this information is useful.

Bluespark Pro Petrol Chip Tuning Box for Mercedes-CLA180 1.6 CGi

Last edited:
Quote Buy a CLA200? Quote.

It appears to me that unless you pay loads of wads all you get is the badge, I wonder if it has the Mercedes star on top of engine cover.

There are the CLA 180 and CLA 200, both powered by a 1.3-litre turbocharged engines, and the CLA 220, CLA 220 4Matic and CLA 250, all using a 2.0-litre motor. All have a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox (although a manual is coming later), and you might or might not care that only the CLA 220s and CLA 250 have Mercedes motors, the smaller engine being sourced from what remains of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance.

Doesn't the CLA 200 have more power (154bhp v 120bhp) and more torque (184 v 147), which is what the OP wanted ????

Sounds like just the sort of thing I need. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom