Late 2009 R230 SL350 pick up this Saturday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So it seems if I go with the MB krytox stuff it'll be £45 a bottle. Krytox appears to be a company rather than a brand name (happy to be corrected)

I suppose £45 vs £000's or £0000's even for water damage.
Krytox is a DuPont trademark and product. You can apply it with your finger and not waste a drop. The pot price is unimportant, I have used a single little pot on 2 R230s and my R231 and still have some left.

Hello All,

I'll hopefully be the proud owner of a late 2009 R230 SL350 this Saturday. As I'm buying from afar the garage has said if when I come and see it and don't want to progress with purchase I can have a full deposit refund.

I've used this website no end in the last few days and found it great help.

The car is out with the issue on the M272 engines having checked the engine number. Thankfully.

Obviously I'm still a little concerned with the water issues as the car will sit outside. I assume even cars as late as this still can have issues? I've watched a number of video links from this site and others and I intend to oil the seals once I get it home and check drainage channels.

Has anyone on this forum never has water leaks? Is it a case of only hearing about issues rather then someone posting "I've never had any leaks on my car in 10 years!"

The garage has looked after this car for a while and have given me good confidence it's been looked after. There's history outwith the normal service schedule receipts and the garage owner has been very honest. So I guess we'll find out this Saturday how good it is.

Does anyone use a trickle charger with the car parked outside? I see optimate do solar ones. This will be a second car so I really will need to keep the battery going.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Great choice, this version is the best of the R230 SL350s. My first R230 (2007 275bhp) had evidence of leaks but had the seals replaced and was never an issue in my ownership. My 2010 car had perfect seals and no evidence of leaks. The leaks and engine stories should be no deterrent to buying one of these - they are great cars. I am too late to see the AT advert so hope you will post some pics. !

Hi, Thanks for replying to my post.

Which battery did you connect to?

thanks

I’ve got a traffic light plug in connector on both batteries but it’s mainly the rear battery which requires a top up charge.

The Leak on the rear seal is caused by water running under the seal where it grips the base of the rear screen , not on the bit you are going to “lube” . There is plenty on how to fix on the tinternet , it involves removing the seal and re-gluing the seal to form a waterproof fix . Your car at 2009 probably won’t need this yet though

Reinforcing W1ghty's point: the leak was a feature of early cars, which had been left outside for most of their life

Others may prove me wrong, but my belief is that this wasn't a significant problem after 2005, and especially not after the facelift in 2007

Using Old Engineering logic, I'd be wary about faffing with it, unless you've got some indications of damp intrusion. Keep an eye on it, every time you open the boot, and make sure that water flows away cleanly, but don't mess with what the factory built properly.

Reinforcing W1ghty's point: the leak was a feature of early cars, which had been left outside for most of their life

Others may prove me wrong, but my belief is that this wasn't a significant problem after 2005, and especially not after the facelift in 2007

Using Old Engineering logic, I'd be wary about faffing with it, unless you've got some indications of damp intrusion. Keep an eye on it, every time you open the boot, and make sure that water flows away cleanly, but don't mess with what the factory built properly.
Good advice :)

Thanks hopefully this is the case.

Thanks hopefully this will be the case

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It does look like it might still happen going by that video as it looks like a Mercedes tech

Oh well hopefully mine will be fine :)

The video uses the newer car, for sure, but represents how to address it in all R230's....

It's worth mentioning, in passing, that if the lid of the bottled is wet from rain, it will drop some water into the boot. Not a problem if it's only occasional, and that you take a bit of care, but do it every day, and you'll have that kind of problem too.

(The rubber seal is the bigger problem, but you get my point)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom