• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Latest upgrade for sl60 amg need help!!

biturbo

Car
S600 BiTurbo, SL60 AMG, Landcrapper Disco, Merc sprinter, E320 D6.
Hi All,
As you lot are very knowledgeable, i require some assistance, i have purchased the oem brake discs front and rear for the Silver arrow R129. I am told the rears are the same on my sl60 amg 300mm ATE rears but the fronts are the silver arrow brembo calipers. I need to get the front and rear pads. Money is no object regarding the pads, i want the best ones.
I am told the DS2500 are really good pads as they are fast street the ds3000 are race and need time to warm up.
I am wondering if anyone knows the part numbers for these from ferodo or maybe an alternative pad. Your help is appreciated as another box is ticked.
I have purchased the silver arrow calipers to swap over.

Front rotors, 334x32mm (non-drilled) = 129-421-21-12
Front rotors, 334x32mm (cross-drilled) = 129-421-23-12
Front brake pads = 003-420-08-20 or 005-420-04-20 (OE), Porterfield AP-847, Akebono EUR847.

Rear rotors, 300x22mm (non-drilled) = 129-423-03-12
Rear rotors, 300x22mm (cross-drilled) = 129-423-05-12
Rear brake pads = 002-420-05-20 or 003-420-30-20 (OE), Porterfield AP-603, Akebono EUR603.

Last edited:
According to the Ferodo listings, it should be FCP1661H (this is also shown as the pad for the R230, IIRC this has the same Brembo caliper).

They don't list anything for the rear, but then OEM pads should be sufficient as the rear braking effort is comparatively small.

Black Diamond claim to have Predator pads for both front and rear calipers.

According to the Ferodo listings, it should be FCP1661H (this is also shown as the pad for the R230, IIRC this has the same Brembo caliper).

cheers doodle, but its the r129 brembo ones not the r230 ones. You know the ones on the silver arrow. Got about a week or so to get the pads so need to research and then purchase.

Yes, it's the same pad listed for both the 129 w/Brembo caliper and the R230 (which only has one caliper choice) - from the pictures I can find the calipers look the same?

This is a (admittedly quite manky) R230 caliper:
1103715_450144.jpg

The problem is that if you look at the Ferodo Racing site (for the DS2500), the only pads they list for the 129 is to fit the ATE caliper.
However, if you look at the normal ferodo site, they show the 2 different caliper types for the 129 - the code there for the Brembo caliper is FDB1426, which is also the code for the R230 SL350 and SL500.

Therefore the same should be true for the DS2500 pads, and so that's the part number I've given you :thumb: Now of course, if the Silver Arrow caliper *isn't* the same as the Brembo caliper, then things get a little more tricky.

Last edited:
no it doesnt look like that. Here is photo. As you can see the rears are the ATE ones you might have but the fronts are different. I think its the same as on the clk 55amg.

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 45
Biturbo:
These calipers look like stock C32 calipers front and rear

Mmmmm....that's inconvenient.

Yes, it does look very similar to the CLK55 caliper. However, that puts the cat firmly back amongst the pigeons, as there are 2 different pad types for that.

One is the FRP3100, which is 164mm long. I'm guessing from the size that it is for 6piston calipers
The other is...yep, believe it or not, FCP1661, 120mm long. That code is also listed for the W203 C32 and C55, which I think is the same caliper as you've pictured?

Last edited:
Surely using Silver Arrow disks on the SL60 will reduce braking efficiency?
I always found the stock SL60 breaks to be more than adequate (same as SL600 but in a lighter car)
Are the Silver Arrow calipers lighter or something?
Have you looked at E55 brakes?

Hi Janner,
Ive researched alot, and had to put me head back in when i bought a c64 caliper set.

The silver arrow brembo brakes are about as good as it gets for the r129 sl and stick to the oem designs of the chassis.
They are light weight (aluminium), straight bolt on to the r129 only with the 320mm discs. ie sl600 and sl60.
They are designed to work with the 334mm front discs, cross drilled. They weigh about 70% of the ATE ones and cover a large area.

thanks doodle, i think you are correct. I think its the same as the c32 amg etc.

Interesting...my car also has the 320mm discs.

I'll save those calipers as an option if a pad change doesn't yield what I want in terms of braking. Not worried about the weight, but the extra pad size could be the ticket.

I can only assume that despite the different caliper designs, the pad for them is the same. It's possible, after all the rear pads are the same for much of the 90's Mercedes.

Last edited:
the rears are the same 300mm ate. Do you have a part number for the rear pads doodle?

Ferodo don't list upgraded rear pads, unfortunately, just standard stuff.

Under the circumstances it probably wouldn't make much difference as most of the braking effort comes from the front end. I think the only people who list "upgrade" rear pads are Black Diamond and EBC - personally I don't get on with either company's products.

just ordered some, special order for ferodo 10 days and ebc redstuff for the rears will see what its like once all done.

nice info janner, the discs are 24.6 just weighed it and its 24lbs but they are cross drilled so must me .6 lighter as you can buy either cross drilled or plain from the dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom