LCD Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My plasma's on a stand that 18" deep, which is about 2/3 of the depth that my smaller CRT was. It makes it easier to push back against the wall when i want extra space in the room.

Yup the stands are nowhere near as deep as for a CRT screen.

I know where you are coming from Mark - and I have measured this one up for my room and I wouldn't be gaining anything as the width of the whole unit is as wide as I have now and it's the width that prevents it going back any more as much as the depth ;) Obvioulsy the biggest gain is if you can wall mount which would be fab - but it would have to go over my fire which I wouldn't like as it would be too high.

I'll get mi measuring stick out tonight (insert "carry on style ooo' eer Mrs") and see what this unit would gain me.

Thanks again
M

I'm pretty sure that's more resolution than you could see in normal use.

I'm running a MacBook Pro (15.4" I believe) at 1440x900; and I run my dual-Ilyama desktop (2 x 19" Ilyama 450's) at just under that.

You can get quite high in resolution if you do anything that requires precision - and still have it visible... Sure your icons might be tiny, but thats where you keep a third monitor with just your icons; one with the source code and one with the debugger/execution ;)

Oh yeah, and for a TFT I feel that wall mounted is almost a must!

Michele

I'm running a MacBook Pro (15.4" I believe) at 1440x900; and I run my dual-Ilyama desktop (2 x 19" Ilyama 450's) at just under that.

You can get quite high in resolution if you do anything that requires precision - and still have it visible... Sure your icons might be tiny, but thats where you keep a third monitor with just your icons; one with the source code and one with the debugger/execution ;)

But you're talking about monitors rather than TVs.

Of course it's technically possible to make a 26" (or whatever) screen run at 1080P resolution (minimum of 1920x1080 pixels). But with a TV there's no point, because from the intended viewing distance the human eye isn't capable of resolving that degree of detail. So manufacturers simply don't make them.

OK. As far as I know the smallest Sony 1080P TV is 40".

Im with you, a progressive scan that small would be slighlty pointless - BUT Sony know what theyre doing so maybe the ideas I have are outdated.

But you're talking about monitors rather than TVs.

Of course it's technically possible to make a 26" (or whatever) screen run at 1080P resolution (minimum of 1920x1080 pixels). But with a TV there's no point, because from the intended viewing distance the human eye isn't capable of resolving that degree of detail. So manufacturers simply don't make them.

Ah, but Fred like me, is trying to use a TV as a monitor ;) (I'm assuming by the fact that hes using cad tools...)

I'm just trying to "organise" my desktop - 2 CRT's and an old 15" Dell lcd don't look neat (but work sooo well!)

Michele

Ah, but Fred like me, is trying to use a TV as a monitor ;)

Yup I understand that, but TV screens generally only have enough resolution to do the job they're intended for i.e. being viewed from some distance away.

Ah, but Fred like me, is trying to use a TV as a monitor ;) (I'm assuming by the fact that hes using cad tools...)

I'm just trying to "organise" my desktop - 2 CRT's and an old 15" Dell lcd don't look neat (but work sooo well!)

Michele
You are right and I still haven't been back to check the model number of the Sony -

What I did find when I used it was that the graphics card was at it's limit rather than the resolution of the panel -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom