Left-foot braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not trying to be funny or picky , but ‘ an auto RHD manual E220 ? Eh ?

I accept you had zero problems. Same with me driving in numerous European LHD countries. I’d contend that LHD/RHD , on opposite sides of roads is a bigger adjustment than which foot you use to brake, yet we all manage .

likewise , my Ponton had a kmh only speedometer, yet I knew what mph speed I was doing without any need for an idiot guide on the speedo
I obviously meant an auto rhd E220.

I’d contend that LHD/RHD , on opposite sides of roads is a bigger adjustment than which foot you use to brake, yet we all manage .
[/QUOTE

Personally I wouldn’t know cos I’ve never tried it but I know plenty of people who drive their rhd vehicles abroad but wouldn’t dare to attempt left foot braking. Some of these people drive for a living.
My 76 year old mum has an auto rhd Toyota SUV thingy in France that she drives there and over here and there isn’t a chance that she’d try LFB.

I’ve driven both LHD and RHD vehicles both here and abroad ; I drove my LHD Ponton here and abroad for close to 20 years , and also in Holland/Germany , and have driven both LHD/RHD vehicles on the continent.

Id say that driving on the other side of the road , roundabouts which go then’wrong way’ and require giving way to traffic already on the roundabout ; similar to French priority a droit - give way to cars from the right ( even if you are on the major road ) are bigger adjustments than which foot to brake with

Is that legal in the UK?? I also thought it would be an MOT failure.
No - it is now , but not for a car registered in 1964

My car also had white front indicators and red rear ones .

Regulations and requirements changed down the years

What I had typed is that I see lots of driving school cars teaching learners to trafficate right on the approach to roundabouts when going straight ahead : this is definitely wrong and contrary to what is published in Highway Code , Roadcraft and many other publications.
One of my pet hates!

Reactions: 219
American cars have or used to have 8" wide brake pedals. Probably to suit both Lft foot nd Rt foot brakers
Have you been to the US? Have you seen the size of their feet?

you boot an auto to downshift whilst braking?

we are talking about driving on the road?

I have owned a LHD car for 20 years and only have problems when buying McDs so I don’t see the relevance?

i also once owned a mini with a bad clutch slave cylinder and drove it with clutch less gear changed (started it in gear) but I wouldn’t recommend it 😉

Id say that driving on the other side of the road , roundabouts which go then’wrong way’ and require giving way to traffic already on the roundabout ; similar to French priority a droit - give way to cars from the right ( even if you are on the major road ) are bigger adjustments than which foot to brake with

For a police class 1 qualified driver, I'm surprised you don't know that you are required to give way to traffic already on the roundabout in the UK as well. Or is it different in Scotland?

Have you been to the US? Have you seen the size of their feet?
I have never been to the US , but if the size of their feet is in proportion to the size of their bellies ...

For a police class 1 qualified driver, I'm surprised you don't know that you are required to give way to traffic already on the roundabout in the UK as well. Or is it different in Scotland?
My mistake ; happy to concede when I’m wrong , which does happen sometimes!

I meant to say , in Europe the rule is to give way to traffic joining the roundabout - so still give way to traffic from your right .

My bad . I’ve driven there many times but wrote it down wrong .

I have never been to the US , but if the size of their feet is in proportion to the size of their bellies ...
Yes it is! Go to any public place and it appears mobility scooters are provided for anybody who is extremely obese and incapable of walking! I think that is why they have 8" brake pedals!

I’m not sure it’s necessary for the road but I’ve just skimmed this:

Yes, a decent summary of the left foot braking technique, but aimed very squarely at circuit driving.
One of the biggest problems for new race drivers using left foot is the overlap. It means that they are wasting energy, and certainly not minimising the lap time. Very easy to spot with 'modern' data recording.
It also means a increase in fuel and brake wear, a big consideration in endurance racing.
Very little of this is relevant to driving on the road.

What I had typed is that I see lots of driving school cars teaching learners to trafficate right on the approach to roundabouts when going straight ahead : this is definitely wrong and contrary to what is published in Highway Code , Roadcraft and many other publications.

"Trafficate"? Does your car really have trafficators? I had a 1961 Moggie Minor that did, fifty years ago... :D

It is entirely sensible and logical to indicate right if turning right at a roundabout. I've done it for years, and I'll continue to do it. I indicate right on entering a roundabout unless I'm taking the first exit, in which case I indicate left. Otherwise, I indicate right until passing the exit before the one I intend to take, then indicate left; this leaves other drivers in no doubt of my intention either to leave or stay on the roundabout. The Highway Code is stupid and illogical in its advice, and it's high time it was changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom