• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Left-foot braking

If this is supposed to support your claims in post 210 , try reading again , and think about it .

Nothing you have quoted in your post above supports anything you tried to say in post 210 .

Again - read my texts properly - everything I have said is consistent .

Nil etat demonstratum .

Strange as it may be for your ego, this thread isn't just about you.

I was summarising the thread not just your postulating.

please help us - which is correct?

is your left foot on it off the pedal????
Think about it - just a little bit .

When manouvering at low speeds , or when anticipating braking such as on approach to a hazard , you cover the brake pedal ; just as you cover the horn if you think there is a chance it might be needed .

The rest of the time , during normal driving , your foot is at rest off to the side .

It really is very simple and I think you are just being deliberately awkward .

Strange as it may be for your ego, this thread isn't just about you.

I was summarising the thread not just your postulating.

First I never started this thread , and you plus one other seem to have turned it into some sort of argument , I have no issues of ego - perhaps you do ?

If you wish to summarise something - try to do it consistently and accurately , as opposed to twisting things out of context for your own amusement .

I have tired of your sniping remarks .

Bye .

had to drive a manual van home over 100 miles using only my left foot after I stumbled coming off a ladder and sprained my right ankle
When I had my Ponton , for a while it wouldn’t idle correctly , and would cut out if I took my foot off the throttle

Driving while not fit and driving an unsafe car are brave admissions from one so keen on perfection...

The rest of the time , during normal driving , your foot is at rest off to the side

Which the point the many others here have been making - having both feet off and away from the brake pedal means nothing is gained from using your left foot as it is, in all probability, no quicker to move your left foot rather than your right.

indeed it could be argued it is slower as you have lift and move your left foot sideways to reach the pedal...

How many people here do you think you have convinced???

or when anticipating braking such as on approach to a hazard , you cover the brake pedal

I have thought about it, i've read what you posted(even though i'm on your ignore list, as you can't seem to answer my simple questions), and again, what i read from these, between the lines is, even on an approach to a hazard you still have your foot covering the accelerator? where the 'normal' right footers are in safer ground with no foot covering the accelerator and only the brake.

If a panicked 'stab' was to occur you 'could' inadvertently accelerate into an indecent.

Yes I and assume others wholeheartedly agree a stab on the left foot would help the situation, that isn't in dispute.

The normal procedure in an emergency braking situation is to push both feet(clutch left foot, brake right foot) down hard. I 'imagine' in an auto this also comes in to affect as this is what we have ALL been taught.

you/left foot brakers on the other hand(ok maybe not you as you are invincible) would stomp on the accelerator and brake, making them both moot.

this is all based on everyday driving, not a kart, which I drive and left foot brake, not a race or rally car, not on a track trying to get round a 180 bend quickly, or trying to get my rear end loose, but general driving.

how can you justify covering the accelerator in a hazardous situation(unless you are actually Tom Cruise in Days of thunder)?

left foot braking will and does work for a minority,in a minority of situations, not the majority, no one is disputing that.

When manouvering at low speeds , or when anticipating braking such as on approach to a hazard , you cover the brake pedal ; just as you cover the horn if you think there is a chance it might be needed .

The rest of the time , during normal driving , your foot is at rest off to the side .

It really is very simple and I think you are just being deliberately awkward .
When left foot braking, if your left foot is to the side most of the time, then isn’t moving your left foot across to the brake pedal just as “inefficient” as having to move your right foot?

And if your left foot is to the side until you need to cover the brake in anticipation of needing to brake, then isn’t that the same as moving your right foot to cover the brake?

If you anticipate the need to brake, and hence the need to cover the brake pedal, then surely you take your foot off the accelerator having anticipated the hazard?

I still struggle to see the benefit for normal, safe driving on the road.

First I never started this thread , and you plus one other seem to have turned it into some sort of argument , I have no issues of ego - perhaps you do ?

If you wish to summarise something - try to do it consistently and accurately , as opposed to twisting things out of context for your own amusement .

I have tired of your sniping remarks .

Bye .
Correct you didn't start it, but you gave the first reply, in a passive/aggressive way that set the tone. You are no more correct than the rest of us who choose not to use both feet...but boy do you bang on ad nauseum.

When left foot braking, if your left foot is to the side most of the time, then isn’t moving your left foot across to the brake pedal just as “inefficient” as having to move your right foot?

And if your left foot is to the side until you need to cover the brake in anticipation of needing to brake, then isn’t that the same as moving your right foot to cover the brake?

If you anticipate the need to brake, and hence the need to cover the brake pedal, then surely you take your foot off the accelerator having anticipated the hazard?

I still struggle to see the benefit for normal, safe driving on the road.

How much better to read a plausible clearly articulated argument rather than opinion expressed as dogma

Correct you didn't start it, but you gave the first reply, in a passive/aggressive way that set the tone. You are no more correct than the rest of us who choose not to use both feet...but boy do you bang on ad nauseum.

Your honor

Everybody to their own I suppose. Anybody tried it besides TogtheCat and Derek.?

Reactions: 219
Everybody to their own I suppose. Anybody tried it besides TogtheCat and Derek.?

I left foot brake in the Merc, but not in the Zoe!
Even in the Merc I switch to right foot only when parking etc., I don't see the need when moving slowly.

I started left foot braking in the Merc because of the AWFUL gearbox when pulling away, it's so much smoother to feed the throttle in over the brake.

Reactions: 219
:wallbash:

Before I’m out altogether, the basic objection seems to be that it’s unnatural ; contrary to learned experience ?

Yet , how many of the naysayers have learned to drive in the UK , yet somehow manage to drive abroad in LHD vehicles , on ‘wrong side of the road’ ?

When switching over , I find it ‘alien’ for maybe 10 minutes to half an hour , then I manage , like everyone else .

OK , I’ve lived in Holland and Germany for months at a time , but nobody seems to complain at that , a bigger difference than using another foot .

.... and can you look at a Kmh speedometer and know your speed in mph without having to think about it ?

Last edited:
Honest John and LJK Setright for two .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom