Light bulb kit and driving in France etc - Advice Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is also a legal requirement (unless i am very much mistaken) to have the same tyre brand on each axle pair of your car

This actually makes perfect sense

It is also a legal requirement (unless i am very much mistaken) to have the same tyre brand on each axle pair of your car.

I don't think it is a law. Problem with all this advice is when companies with a vested interest in selling you items, read between the lines & tell you you need tyres, fire extinguishers, beam benders etc etc when you simply don't need any of them. As far as I'm aware, the law states tyres on the same axle should have the same load rating, speed rating etc etc, not the same make. Beam benders? The laws says it's an offence to dazzle oncoming traffic, no where does it state you have to use beam bending stickers, which don't really work anyway. There are many ways to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic, I found turning the lights to the lowest downward setting works better than any sticky plastic. Half of the items listed on the ferry companies advice, AA * RAC etc are not needed, but they will happily sell them to you at inflated prices.

Your post reminded me of this :)

full

Jesus bit OTT. Not seen that sign before. My grandparents are French and don’t wear seatbelts and drink drive. I don’t condone this at all. Used to hate visiting them because of this when I was a kid.

In France we are free - my grandad used to say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 219
As long as you don't do anything silly then they won't even look at you....Just enjoy the holiday.

But don't wander around Paris on a saturday night with your hi-vis on:D

LOL.

I don't think the bulbs actually have to fit, it is just a box ticking exercise for the police.
It is also a legal requirement (unless i am very much mistaken) to have the same tyre brand on each axle pair of your car.

You’re joking right. I’ve been to France in a beat up old pug different tyres makes on all wheel. Bumper hanging off and a few lights not working. That was back in my uni days!

Now I am more sensible having kids etc all the boring stuff. Ha. Jeez I sound old.

I think that, wef 29 March, you have to have a left hand drive car.

You’re joking right. I’ve been to France in a beat up old pug different tyres makes on all wheel. Bumper hanging off and a few lights not working. That was back in my uni days!

Now I am more sensible having kids etc all the boring stuff. Ha. Jeez I sound old.

My mum lives in France and drives about in a knackered old RAV4.

All I needed yesterday are gilet jaunes for all four of us (keep them visible on your dashboard), smile, ability to open the windows fast while aproaching pay tolls and shout Viva La France, Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite and I had the free passage through France.
We didn’t have to pay 2 of 3 tolls which saved us aproximately 57 euros from Calais to Chamonix since gilet jaunes took over those two tolls which to me looked more like liberte, ilegalite, fraternite but hey who am I to get myself involved.
On serious note as a reply to your Q: all you need is GILET JAUNES

If you have the ILS system then I don’t think you have any bulbs on the car. I just stick one of my many old bulb kits in the boot just in case some gendarme stops me and asks - but never been stopped in 30 years of driving over there!

There are menu controls for changing the beam pattern - it doesn’t “reverse” it but it flattens the beam so it doesn’t dazzle.

I’d always recommend getting a SANEF tag for the tolls - makes the journey much easier as you can use the auto tolls, and not bother with change, cards etc. Think they can also cover Spain now. They have a branch in Harrogate and your tolls are taken later on by direct debit.

When I owned an E 350 CDI with LED headlights but not the intelligent light system, the beams are set straight ahead, up or down, there is no adjustment, there is therefore no requirement or necessity, possibility even, to alter them and it is perfectly legal to drive throughout Europe. Read the handbook different models differ!

If you have the ILS system then I don’t think you have any bulbs on the car. I just stick one of my many old bulb kits in the boot just in case some gendarme stops me and asks - but never been stopped in 30 years of driving over there!

There are menu controls for changing the beam pattern - it doesn’t “reverse” it but it flattens the beam so it doesn’t dazzle.

I’d always recommend getting a SANEF tag for the tolls - makes the journey much easier as you can use the auto tolls, and not bother with change, cards etc. Think they can also cover Spain now. They have a branch in Harrogate and your tolls are taken later on by direct debit.
+1 for Sanef tag. It’s slightly more expensive than paying cash but my goodness it’s worth it!

Agree about the tag, i get mine from www.tolltickets.com as their service has always been impeccable.

+2 about the tag. I bought after @Bobby Dazzler recommended it ;) cheers Rob!! :p

I was really glad I got it as driving to the South of France we drove through a LOT of toll booths!!

About 6 months ago I bought a pack of bulbs labelled 'Mercedes E-class' (i.e. no reference to which E-class) from Lidl for about a fiver. I've never had to use them and have no idea if they would fit, but at least I could say to any gendarme that I'd made an effort!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom