• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Likely VW T-Roc Purchase

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
Hi MB Club,
Mrs Greedy is dead set on getting a T-Roc. We discussed various options, including Nissan Qashqai, and the range of VAG VW, Seat, Skoda and Audi alternatives.
My personal preference would be the Skoda Karoq with SE L trim to give a bit more room inside than T-Roc, more comfy and heated seats, better trim, rear tray tables and the vario rear seating to adjust load space, but Skoda is 1000% out.
She loves the T-roc so it needs to be that, in white or black.
She wants to take out some sort of finance for this, with the sole deposit available being her current Tiguan. Being offered £2.5k part-ex, but we could probably sell private around £5k (possible) to £4k (definate), but the timing etc becomes more problematic, lining up a sale to coincide with getting the T-roc.
Motorpoint do Hire Purchase at 12.9%. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way to get this, possibly not from Motorpoint, with something like using PCP to access a big PCP selling discount, and then settle within the cooling-off period with finance from elsewhere?

Do the MB Club collective have any experience of getting good value here with Finance?

This isn't something I'm familiar with, as I usually buy my cars on the older end of the spectrum after taking the depreciation hit (around 9 years) and then pay cash, and at my preferred end of the market PCP discounts aren't a thing (especially when buying private 🤪 ).

The two she has set her heart on are in Glasgow Motorpoint, and Motorpoint is very highly rated by my wife. Either this:

Or this:

Around £16k, below 35k miles, around 2021.
Needs to be a reputable place that she can actually have a good chance of low-hassle IF dealing with a warranty issue in the first 6-12 months.

Does anyone have any input here?
These two would need to be a blind buy due to distance, so delivered to the Derby Motorpoint branch so we can go and pick it up.
I note the white one (the second link) has 3 different tyres on it. All premium brand, but not having matching tyres on at least the same axle has me wondering why the previous owner didn't pay the £2 extra to have matching tyres if there was a puncture, what does this mean for generally looking after the car/maintenance, but on the other hand, it's only 3 years old so how much maintenance can have been missed?
It's also worth noting that in the ads for these T-Rocs, the '£700 worth of extras' or whatever the value is, usually means someone paid extra to not have it in the standard colour which I think is red. So not really any 'optional extras' in terms of kit as I might traditionally think about them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by the 'big PCP selling discounts' you refer to. Normally, the PCP discounts are offered by manufacturers as a form of discount on a new car; they just don't want to offer a big discount because they think it would harm the residuals. On a used car, especially from a non-franchise dealer, there's no-one to throw money at the deal for you.

Have you looked on car wow ?

Apart from looking at ads, you can specify what you're looking for, and dealers will make offers in your direction.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'big PCP selling discounts' you refer to. Normally, the PCP discounts are offered by manufacturers as a form of discount on a new car; they just don't want to offer a big discount because they think it would harm the residuals. On a used car, especially from a non-franchise dealer, there's no-one to throw money at the deal for you.
Ah, okay, I didn't realise it was new only. No problem, thanks for clearing that up.

Have you looked on car wow ?

Apart from looking at ads, you can specify what you're looking for, and dealers will make offers in your direction.
To be honest, I don't know hardly anything about buying a nearly new car, and know nothing about carwow.
Thanks Mike, I'll have a look.

Ah, okay, I didn't realise it was new only. No problem, thanks for clearing that up.
This might help. Remember there's a wave of trade-ins arriving in August for the New plates, so there's pressure to clear old trade in stock to make way for the next lot.

Its September these days.....but they only moved it to September in 2001 ....so you might not be aware yet!!

I’d urge caution when buying from Motorpoint.

Please understand that I’m a repeat customer but you need to take care if buying something still under manufacturer warranty.

These are very often ex lease cars which is fine but be sure to check the service records, they may well say FSH but are frequently serviced outside of the dealer network and can be troublesome if you need to make a claim.

Different tyres is also a common issue.

On the plus side it’s cheap enough to get any car in their dealer network sent to your local site. You can phone the selling dealer and ask them to access the service file tell you what was done and by who.

There’s not much room for negotiation but they will usually allow a couple of hundred quid or so.

Hi MB Club,
Mrs Greedy is dead set on getting a T-Roc. We discussed various options, including Nissan Qashqai, and the range of VAG VW, Seat, Skoda and Audi alternatives.
My personal preference would be the Skoda Karoq with SE L trim to give a bit more room inside than T-Roc, more comfy and heated seats, better trim, rear tray tables and the vario rear seating to adjust load space, but Skoda is 1000% out.
She wants to take out some sort of finance for this, with the sole deposit available being her current Tiguan. Being offered £2.5k part-ex, but we could probably sell private around £5k (possible) to £4k (definate), but the timing etc becomes more problematic, lining up a sale to coincide with getting the T-roc.
Motorpoint do Hire Purchase at 12.9%. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way to get this, possibly not from Motorpoint, with something like using PCP to access a big PCP selling discount, and then settle within the cooling-off period with finance from elsewhere?

Do the MB Club collective have any experience of getting good value here with Finance?

This isn't something I'm familiar with, as I usually buy my cars on the older end of the spectrum after taking the depreciation hit (around 9 years) and then pay cash, and at my preferred end of the market PCP discounts aren't a thing (especially when buying private 🤪 ).

The two she has set her heart on are in Glasgow Motorpoint, and Motorpoint is very highly rated by my wife. Either this:

Or this:

Needs to be a reputable place that she can actually have a good chance of low-hassle IF dealing with a warranty issue in the first 6-12 months.

These two would need to be a blind buy due to distance, so delivered to the Derby Motorpoint branch so we can go and pick it up.
I note the white one (the second link) has 3 different tyres on it. All premium brand, but not having matching tyres on at least the same axle has me wondering why the previous owner didn't pay the £2 extra to have matching tyres if there was a puncture, what does this mean for generally looking after the car/maintenance, but on the other hand, it's only 3 years old so how much maintenance can have been missed?
It's also worth noting that in the ads for these T-Rocs, the '£700 worth of extras' or whatever the value is, usually means someone paid extra to not have it in the standard colour which I think is red. So not really any 'optional extras' in terms of kit as I might traditionally think about them.
I’m far from a finance expert however the least expensive way of financing a car (when not paying from savings) is almost certainly to draw down against a mortgage (if that’s possible), or secondly by using a traditional unsecured bank loan.

A PCP will make repayments appear lower than a bank loan or hire purchase because you pay interest on the whole amount but only repay in part, and so you will still have a large final payment at the end with PCP (or hand the car back).

Unless you get a killer deal because the dealer and/or finance company are pushing hard for volumes, the. an unsecured bank loan will almost certainly be a better rate - and therefore ultimately less expensive than hire purchase.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with PCP as long as you remember that the monthly repayments are heavily offset by an absolutely huge final repayment (relatively speaking) which you don’t have with a bank loan or traditional HP.

Just think about what’s best for you 👍🏻

Hi MB Club,

Or this:

PS If you finance a car then I would consider getting GAP insurance but from somewhere like ALA and NOT a car dealer. It costs relatively little but will avoid sleepless nights if you have a total loss and the your owe more than the settlement figure from your insurer.

I financed a car once - the only car I e we leased - and it was stolen. The difference in the value outstanding and the settlement figure was eye watering and my insurer wouldn’t budge even though I had evidence that market value for the car would be 25% more than they offered.

Instead of part ex, do look at Motorway and Carwow (as said above) as they will get higher bids from dealers who want to retail your car as stock. You can schedule a pick up and sale date with them, within reason

The likes of Motorpoint will price it with a caution margin as they will just send it to the auction - it's not stock they will want in most cases.

The targetted bidders on those two platforms are why their prices to sell to, are higher.

Went into VW today. Now it looks like another Tiguan might be on the cards. The T-Roc is small inside compared to current Tiguan, and some are black on black inside, and it feels like you are trapped inside a blackout sack (personal opinion only).
Benefit of buying via VW on Hire Purchase is you can buy 2 years servicing for £99 and you get 2 years VW warranty. Thinking of taking minimum HP amount required, with the rest via a personal loan at 6%.

Curious as to why the Karoq (and presumably Ateca) are out, given that it's the same vehicle bar the badges?

Curious as to why the Karoq (and presumably Ateca) are out, given that it's the same vehicle bar the badges?
This is a common misconception. They do indeed share the same 'platform' from the VW group but there are actually very few common components.
Sure, the engines and gearboxes are common and some suspension components, but the beauty of the shared parts bin means each manufacturer in the group can build a car with their own DNA. The vast majority of the car panels are not the same including the actual floor pan, which means the same platform can support various sizes of car. For Skoda it means 'Simply clever' and their cars offer great value with the same electronic architecture as others on the same platform. They will often offer more room than others on the same platform.
Drive any of the these cars back to back and they each display a very different character from their cousins dependant on the DNA baked in at the design stage.
The very best form of badge engineering, but about as far from an Austin or Morris Mini as you can get.

This is a common misconception. They do indeed share the same 'platform' from the VW group but there are actually very few common components.
Sure, the engines and gearboxes are common and some suspension components, but the beauty of the shared parts bin means each manufacturer in the group can build a car with their own DNA. The vast majority of the car panels are not the same including the actual floor pan, which means the same platform can support various sizes of car. For Skoda it means 'Simply clever' and their cars offer great value with the same electronic architecture as others on the same platform. They will often offer more room than others on the same platform.
Drive any of the these cars back to back and they each display a very different character from their cousins dependant on the DNA baked in at the design stage.
The very best form of badge engineering, but about as far from an Austin or Morris Mini as you can get.
MQB platform (our Leon being an example)560px-Hannover-Messe_2012_by-RaBoe_233.jpg

To enthusiasts like ourselves those difference are obvious (the Superb and the Leon that preceded it are quite different in some ways, surprisingly similar in others), but they're things Joe and Joanna Public are far less likely to notice or be aware of.

In that respect you've got SUVs that are basically the same size, with the same tactile points, engine offerings etc etc. and the reasons for or against are far more likely to be based on that than nuances of dynamics and "DNA" marketing, hence the question. I hadn't realised that the new Tiguan sits on the A2 platform though, so there is substance there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom