• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Likely VW T-Roc Purchase

My wife looked at a T Roc about 3 years ago, hard black plastic everywhere, bought a Nissan Juke Tekna + instead. All the toys you need but unfortunately no lights in the sunvisors. Been very happy with it , three years and 29,000miles no problems and recently picked up , after a 6 month wait, her new Juke Tekna+.

Viewed Tiguan today. Pretty good condition actually. A bit of very light chipping down the door edge from idiotic over enthusiastic door opening, but that wasn't too bad and the VW dealer said they would touch it up. It was no worse than expected from a 4 year old family car. Serviced at VW every year.

It's had new rear brake pads and discs. 4x new Pirelli Scorpion tyres, oil, air, pollen and aircon service, brake fluid. Bill for the work done is apparently over £2k; probably dealer rates, but still, there's some good value there. It's ticked over 4 years last months and I mentioned spark plugs are 4 years or 40k miles or 64k Km. Guy went to check and said yep, you're right, well do those as well. Mrs Greedy is going to finalise paperwork tomorrow I think.

Thanks for some suggestions about things to look at in this thread, I've not bought a nearly new car from a main dealer/big car reseller before, so I've learned some things.

Viewed Tiguan today. Pretty good condition actually. A bit of very light chipping down the door edge from idiotic over enthusiastic door opening, but that wasn't too bad and the VW dealer said they would touch it up. It was no worse than expected from a 4 year old family car. Serviced at VW every year.

It's had new rear brake pads and discs. 4x new Pirelli Scorpion tyres, oil, air, pollen and aircon service, brake fluid. Bill for the work done is apparently over £2k; probably dealer rates, but still, there's some good value there. It's ticked over 4 years last months and I mentioned spark plugs are 4 years or 40k miles or 64k Km. Guy went to check and said yep, you're right, well do those as well. Mrs Greedy is going to finalise paperwork tomorrow I think.

Thanks for some suggestions about things to look at in this thread, I've not bought a nearly new car from a main dealer/big car reseller before, so I've learned some things.
Great news, I hope you both enjoy your new car. PS

:ttiuwp

In a slight update, the new 1.5 petrol Tiguan has just had its first long journey. Predominantly at around 65mph indicated, plus a lot of slower sections on duel carriageway and motorway due to volume of traffic. The best I've recently achieved in the old 2.0 TDI was 68mpg. On this journey, the new Tiguan achieved...

37mpg. I am totally bowled over, and not in a good way. How is the tax on this thing half of what I pay on my 3L Merc that would have done 60mpg today!??

In a slight update, the new 1.5 petrol Tiguan has just had its first long journey. Predominantly at around 65mph indicated, plus a lot of slower sections on duel carriageway and motorway due to volume of traffic. The best I've recently achieved in the old 2.0 TDI was 68mpg. On this journey, the new Tiguan achieved...

37mpg. I am totally bowled over, and not in a good way. How is the tax on this thing half of what I pay on my 3L Merc that would have done 60mpg today!??
Emissions. Impure and simple.

(Cough) I drove an S500Le last week. Lovely car.

450bhp, 0-60 in 5 seconds.

Annual road tax: £0.

Reactions: Ted
Its September these days.....but they only moved it to September in 2001 ....so you might not be aware yet!!
Mea culpa. What I was meaning was that the pressure is on, in August, to “empty the lot” / clear stock / push out the finance company returns / demonstrators / “empty the airfields” etc. In the face of Punter holidays, when people have got “better things to do” than phone round shopping for cars.

All in advance of the trade in returns in September.

Different to 30 years ago, when there wasn’t all our current finance company froth, when people just chopped in every 2 or 3 years to be seen in the new model.

In a slight update, the new 1.5 petrol Tiguan has just had its first long journey. Predominantly at around 65mph indicated, plus a lot of slower sections on duel carriageway and motorway due to volume of traffic. The best I've recently achieved in the old 2.0 TDI was 68mpg. On this journey, the new Tiguan achieved

That's really poor.

Honest question, is it running right?
Tyre pressures I presume are good, no binding brakes, air filter clean, no codes etc?

That shouldn't of be closer to 47mpg or more

My SLK55 has bettered that!
My E400 has also, by some margin
Our petrol X Trail just did, fully loaded at 75mph (45 mpg) yesterday

I wouldn't just take that on the chin....
What's the quoted mpg for it?

Is the Tig a manual or DSG, and is it the EcoTSi with Active Cylinder Technology?

Just been serviced for nearly everything. Seems to be running right, up to temps, very freewheeling, and I think it probably does have active cyclinder tech purely based on Eco coming up on the dash during gentle deceleration and me being able to 'feel' some change in the engine during gently deceleration.

My feeling is, it's a big car and the 1.5Tsi is so underpowered, it just struggles with anything above about 45mph. It had a loosely packed bootful, two adults and a nipper.

I'll plug iCarsoft in when I get back, but given it's just been prepped and serviced at the dealer, and the only thing I didn't check was plugging a scanner in, I'd imagine it doesn't have an issue.

All new tyres, pumped up before the journey to a slightly high 38psi (based on the fuel flap's 35) for economy.

37 seems within the range...

Just been serviced for nearly everything. Seems to be running right, up to temps, very freewheeling, and I think it probably does have active cyclinder tech purely based on Eco coming up on the dash during gentle deceleration and me being able to 'feel' some change in the engine during gently deceleration.

My feeling is, it's a big car and the 1.5Tsi is so underpowered, it just struggles with anything above about 45mph. It had a loosely packed bootful, two adults and a nipper.

I'll plug iCarsoft in when I get back, but given it's just been prepped and serviced at the dealer, and the only thing I didn't check was plugging a scanner in, I'd imagine it doesn't have an issue.

All new tyres, pumped up before the journey to a slightly high 38psi (based on the fuel flap's 35) for economy.

The Eco light comes on surprisingly often on our Leon, basically on light throttle at any constant road speed - 65mph on a flat motorway section for example.
If you wind the window down you can hear the engine doing it's '2CV' thing. As you say though, the Tig is a brick compared to a Leon estate.

That's really poor.

Honest question, is it running right?
Tyre pressures I presume are good, no binding brakes, air filter clean, no codes etc?

That shouldn't of be closer to 47mpg or more

My SLK55 has bettered that!
My E400 has also, by some margin
Our petrol X Trail just did, fully loaded at 75mph (45 mpg) yesterday

I wouldn't just take that on the chin....
What's the quoted mpg for it?
Fair challenge, but nope, that's about right. About 5mpg worse than a golf with the same engine. The issue is the aerodynamics of a brick.

(My son sold 2016 VW Golf this year with the 1.5 TSI engine which gave him mpg in the early 40's)

But all due respect with the Tiguan which is a brilliant, and wonderfully successful, VAG motor, with lots of space inside and a bright and airy feel.

More than half of the motors sold in Europe are SUV's, despite the fact that SUVs have worse fuel economy than the equivalent saloon.

Ah well, next time a KIA Niro giving 350 miles per £7 of electricity, from that overnight plug in at 2p / mile. (280 mile range)

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 12.09.02.png

Last edited:

We bought my mum a Troc 1.5 petrol a couple years ago. It’s just simply a thirsty engine no matter what it’s in.

We bought my mum a Troc 1.5 petrol a couple years ago. It’s just simply a thirsty engine no matter what it’s in.
Reading a few posts on the SEAT forums seems to back this up; certainly it seems more of a gas-guzzler than the 1.4 EcoTSi that preceded it.

Reactions: HB
Friends bought an Ateca 1.5 earlier this year, but then they're stepping out of a old 5pot Kuga so it seems positively frugal by comparison. Frankly they're overjoyed just to be getting economy figures that start with a 3.

At those speeds 37 mpg is terrible. My C180K with a 1.6 engine is about the same weight and assuming the version of the 1.5 they put in a Tiquan is 150 HP, then similar power at 154 HP. I do those speeds on the motorway on a regular basis and get 50 MPG with ease. A C180K will have a lower frontal area and a competitively low Cd figure. The Tiquan will be worse on both counts but no modern car has the aerodynamics of a brick so it hard to see that drag accounts for all of that discrepancy.

When I change car next I will be looking at somethings smaller, perhaps a Golf, A3 or Q2 with that 1.5 engine which has cylinder deactivation but not if it uses more fuel than my C180K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom