• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mac's Tech car

V2H is on its way but more likely to feed the home evenings from solar harvested during the day AND from the grid overnight.

It’s a key efficiency that the grid wants to create, but the economics are still some way away
Yes, and the fact that the energy undergoes 2 x 'less than totally efficient' AC/DC conversions on the way to home use again. I know I will have to have energy in the car to drive it, so I'm happy with the energy loss from free Norfolk sunshine to car propulsion, but it makes little sense for me to use more Capex to pump more energy back to the house.
Just to give an idea as to how good our present house is, our daily average use from the grid is 6kWh, in our former Georgian 'draughty castle' it was 36 kWh per day....:eek: .....and that's before we factor in an average of over 10kWh per day export on our FIT tariff.

Last edited:
Yes, and the fact that the energy undergoes 2 x 'less than totally efficient' AC/DC conversions on the way to home use again. I know I will have to have energy in the car to drive it, so I'm happy with the energy loss from free Norfolk sunshine to car propulsion, but it makes little sense for me to use more Capex to pump more energy back to the house.
Just to give an idea as to how good our present house is, our daily average use from the grid is 6kWh, in our former Georgian 'draughty castle' it was 36 kWh per day....:eek: .....and that's before we factor in an average of over 10kWh per day export on our FIT tariff.
Another good example of how "most" can "probably" educe more CO2 through more efficient home heating than through EV conversion alone.

26kWh / day saving? That's 40,000+ miles a year in your new Mactech

Another good example of how "most" can "probably" educe more CO2 through more efficient home heating than through EV conversion alone.

26kWh / day saving? That's 40,000+ miles a year in your new Mactech
Indeed, but I'm only on about 5k miles per year now on each of the two cars. Long gone are my 30k miles a year days of chasing around the world to see other cars racing around in circles....
That said, I am at Donington on Sunday;)

Indeed, but I'm only on about 5k miles per year now on each of the two cars. Long gone are my 30k miles a year days of chasing around the world to see other cars racing around in circles....
That said, I am at Donington on Sunday;)
That Macan will have to go....

In round figures our annual electricity usage from the grid is 3 kWh per day, with 7 kWh exported. Ours is an odd house with 7 rooms downstairs and 4 upstairs, plus 5 outbuildings with mains power. Mostly 1990s extensions to a 1790s 2-up / 2-down (which has solid walls & floor).

LED lighting is a huge saving ... almost all the bulbs we have now are just 3-4 watts. I also replaced 11 fluorescent tube units and 6 halogen floodlights with LED equivalents. Our biggest consumer from the grid is almost certainly my son's PlayStation (around 200 W, almost always at night when there's no solar power) :D

LED lighting is a huge saving ... almost all the bulbs we have now are just 3-4 watts. I also replaced 11 fluorescent tube units and 6 halogen floodlights with LED equivalents. Our biggest consumer from the grid is almost certainly my son's PlayStation ...
Fwiw I find that the other "constant load" that is difficult to resolve, is fridges & freezers. I think a of consumers like us who have done the usual LED substitutions etc.. are stumped when it comes to reducing refrigeration costs (apart from making sure the appliances are kept fairly full) ??

Fwiw I find that the other "constant load" that is difficult to resolve, is fridges & freezers. I think a of consumers like us who have done the usual LED substitutions etc.. are stumped when it comes to reducing refrigeration costs (apart from making sure the appliances are kept fairly full) ??

We have a reasonably big fridge/freezer in the kitchen plus a chest freezer in the barn ... both are about 3 years old and appear to be fairly efficient (i.e. the compressor doesn't seem to run all that often or for long periods). There's an LED display in the kitchen showing the real-time total consumption for the house ... last thing at night this typically shows 2-4 watts, which seems OK if it's accurate! We have the router and DVR powered up 24/7 (although the latter goes into 'sleep mode' overnight), and there's usually a phone charger or two on overnight. Interestingly our LG TV doesn't have an on/off switch, so that's in standby unless you turn it off at the socket (which we don't normally do).

A while ago I bought a number of tapo energy monitoring plugs for various items around the house like the dishwasher, washing machine etc, good bits of kit but I'm not convinced about their software, just looked at the results from the plug on our dishwasher, it shows last month it used about 3Kwh but looking at the graphed useage it was more like 30Kwh! However, the probably biggest user is our hob/oven, and as these are on a dedicated supply from our consumer board (which itself is more complicated than normal as we have 3 phase power supply!) I have no way of monitoring their elec useage - and forget a smart meter, we're 3 phase domestic and so far there's not a SMETS2 domestic 3 phase jobbie available (thankfully!!). ATM our elec useage is about 17Kwh/d.

Historic racing?
Classic Formula Ford.
JS 003.jpg
It's a car I ran 'in period' in 1979 (and photos were still black and white!)
A small group of us now run the car in the Classic Formula Ford Championship.
....which we have won on 3 occasions in the last few years.
Not, of course, that we are in any way competitive.;) :cool:....much!

Classic Formula Ford.
View attachment 157663
Fantastic! I’m planning on going to Brands in July for the Superprix, assume you’ll be there as well?

I’m helping my dad sort his pre-litigation Westfield 7 at the moment that has a 1600 crossflow. The engine is a bit of a mystery as we only have some details on the build. It was built as a hill climb car car but seems to have quite strange jetting so I need to find a rolling road nearby so we can get it set up properly now I’ve bought a new 32/36 Weber for it. It’s got a big valve head, 234 cam, lightened flywheel and we think maybe 1300 pistons. It’s become my new project! It’s immense fun at not silly speeds.

Classic Formula Ford.
View attachment 157663
I remember you mentioning Formula Ford, very cool 👍🏻

We have a reasonably big fridge/freezer in the kitchen plus a chest freezer in the barn ... both are about 3 years old and appear to be fairly efficient (i.e. the compressor doesn't seem to run all that often or for long periods). There's an LED display in the kitchen showing the real-time total consumption for the house ... last thing at night this typically shows 2-4 watts, which seems OK if it's accurate! We have the router and DVR powered up 24/7 (although the latter goes into 'sleep mode' overnight), and there's usually a phone charger or two on overnight. Interestingly our LG TV doesn't have an on/off switch, so that's in standby unless you turn it off at the socket (which we don't normally do).
Firstly, sorry for the thread distraction Mactech.

Further to my observation about our inherent lack of energy saving options for freezers, I was thinking last night...
With (ground source) heat exchanger powered systems, I wonder if it be feasible to incorporate circuits on the source side to plumb into fridge/freezer units ? (thereby utilising what would be waste).

I remember you mentioning Formula Ford, very cool 👍🏻
Classic Formula Fords are great fun, offer very close racing and are almost affordable (pun intended!) to run.
Just sometimes, it doesn't go quite according to plan...

32770e0a-427a-4628-b708-d3b976771742.jpg
This is the car I first built (in Norfolk) in 1979. It needed a new chassis after this in 2017.

Firstly, sorry for the thread distraction Mactech.

Further to my observation about our inherent lack of energy saving options for freezers, I was thinking last night...
With (ground source) heat exchanger powered systems, I wonder if it be feasible to incorporate circuits on the source side to plumb into fridge/freezer units ? (thereby utilising what would be waste).
I have avoided ground and air source heat pumps, mainly due to my son's poor experience of them and the power they use to operate.
I'm sure what you propose is quite feasible, you just have to balance the 'risk vs reward'
My home uses at least 100w on 'tickover' at night. That is mainly due to the fan on the heat recovery unit, all the stuff we leave on standby, 2 x fridges, 1x freezer and the operating systems of an eco house!
Fortunately, that is all covered as soon as we have daylight by the solar panels which brew up to 4kWh in bright sunshine.

......but Kane scores on the rebound......

1717673572018.png

Classic Formula Fords are great fun, offer very close racing and are almost affordable (pun intended!) to run.
Just sometimes, it doesn't go quite according to plan...

View attachment 157671
This is the car I first built (in Norfolk) in 1979. It needed a new chassis after this in 2017.
😳

I’m wondering whether I can fool Mrs D into thinking we’re going to Garage 39 for breakfast and happen to notice the track action 🤔

I do like a Garage 39 breakfast…

😳

I’m wondering whether I can fool Mrs D into thinking we’re going to Garage 39 for breakfast and happen to notice the track action 🤔

I do like a Garage 39 breakfast…
We should be camped just the other side of the scrutineering bay from Garage 39;)

We should be camped just the other side of the scrutineering bay from Garage 39;)
🏎️🏎️🏎️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom