• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mac's Tech car

Fantastic! I’m planning on going to Brands in July for the Superprix, assume you’ll be there as well?

I’m helping my dad sort his pre-litigation Westfield 7 at the moment that has a 1600 crossflow. The engine is a bit of a mystery as we only have some details on the build. It was built as a hill climb car car but seems to have quite strange jetting so I need to find a rolling road nearby so we can get it set up properly now I’ve bought a new 32/36 Weber for it. It’s got a big valve head, 234 cam, lightened flywheel and we think maybe 1300 pistons. It’s become my new project! It’s immense fun at not silly speeds.
The Crossflow was Henrys best. I had one in my narrow body Westfield, lovely engine.

The Crossflow was Henrys best. I had one in my narrow body Westfield, lovely engine.
Yes, it has been powering Formula Ford cars for over 1/2 a century now:eek:
We had a m-m-misfire in the first race this weekend and discovered one of the brass floats had come adrift in the carb:doh:
A new float assy. and a back row start for race 2 saw a charge up the 6th at the flag😬

Summer is here and the i3 seems to enjoy the sunshine. Not only is it fed a fresh diet of sparks from home grown Norfolk sunshine, but the ambient temperature means that the range is frequently well above 200 miles. My average m/kWh has been 5.0 for the last 1000 miles, which is 25% above the claimed figure. The average speed is a pitiful 33mph, but this is the car we use for all local and town work.
The opposite end of the scale is the 69 mph average I saw on the long distance Macan last Sunday on the way back from Donington to Norfolk...before I turned off the A11 and onto the local Norfolk roads. That's as close as I want to get to a legal average speed.

IMG_1255.jpeg

The BMW i3 continues to show more efficiency as the warm weather continues with my average mi/kWh now up to 5.3.
But better than that, it seems I now have both a house and a vehicle which are energy cost zero! :banana:
In the few years we have had the house we have learned to 'drive' it more effectively mostly by timing when we do energy intensive tasks and generally cutting down on energy usage. Air fryers and 'crowaves now do the majority of our cooking. The dish washer usage is down to about once a week and the tumble dryer largely redundant now we have a drying rack above the heat store. We don't have gas here but the difference between the electricity we sell to the grid and the amount we use covers the modest fuel oil bill.
With the arrival of the i3 our electicity usage has increased an average of just 12% by doing vast majority of car charging whilst the sun is shining and we have surplus solar energy. I tend to leave the car plugged-in in the garage and just tap the phone app when I see defined shadows outside. Simples!

Last month I changed to a new lower rate energy tariff with Scottish Power which means I'm now paying the same monthly amount for electricity as I did last year.
So now both the house and the BMW have zero energy running costs. :cool: The previous X3 BMW had approx £1400 pa more fuel and VED costs.

I'm not a real zealous 'green' person but I do enjoy the cost saving and given I have spent a large proportion of my life rushing around the globe to make cars rush around in circles, I feel I am at least doing a little to offset my previously large carbon footprint. Some years in the 80's and 90's I was spending over 2 weeks of my year above 35,000 feet:eek:
Now looking for ways to achieve that with the Macan.....a much more difficult one!

The BMW i3 continues to show more efficiency as the warm weather continues with my average mi/kWh now up to 5.3.
But better than that, it seems I now have both a house and a vehicle which are energy cost zero! :banana:
In the few years we have had the house we have learned to 'drive' it more effectively mostly by timing when we do energy intensive tasks and generally cutting down on energy usage. Air fryers and 'crowaves now do the majority of our cooking. The dish washer usage is down to about once a week and the tumble dryer largely redundant now we have a drying rack above the heat store. We don't have gas here but the difference between the electricity we sell to the grid and the amount we use covers the modest fuel oil bill.
With the arrival of the i3 our electicity usage has increased an average of just 12% by doing vast majority of car charging whilst the sun is shining and we have surplus solar energy. I tend to leave the car plugged-in in the garage and just tap the phone app when I see defined shadows outside. Simples!

Last month I changed to a new lower rate energy tariff with Scottish Power which means I'm now paying the same monthly amount for electricity as I did last year.
So now both the house and the BMW have zero energy running costs. :cool: The previous X3 BMW had approx £1400 pa more fuel and VED costs.

I'm not a real zealous 'green' person but I do enjoy the cost saving and given I have spent a large proportion of my life rushing around the globe to make cars rush around in circles, I feel I am at least doing a little to offset my previously large carbon footprint. Some years in the 80's and 90's I was spending over 2 weeks of my year above 35,000 feet:eek:
Now looking for ways to achieve that with the Macan.....a much more difficult one!
Good to hear.

Any immediate thoughts on the Audi Q4 E-tron as an alternative to the Macan?

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 10.18.23.png

Good to hear.

Any immediate thoughts on the Audi Q4 E-tron as an alternative to the Macan?

View attachment 158294
Other than the fact that the new Q6 E-ton and the new Macan share a platform, not really. I suspect I will be keeping a foot in both EV and ICE camps for the time being. One reason is that whilst the house has surplus energy to power one small EV, but not two. I'd end up paying fuel bills for the next one!
The Macan is fine at the moment, but just suppose you had project managed Bentley's only Le Mans win in the past 90 years and engineered the current diesel landspeed record, where might one's thoughts be headed to celebrate that?:dk:....and no!...a JCB Fastrac will not fit in the garage!

Other than the fact that the new Q6 E-ton and the new Macan share a platform, not really. I suspect I will be keeping a foot in both EV and ICE camps for the time being. One reason is that whilst the house has surplus energy to power one small EV, but not two. I'd end up paying fuel bills for the next one!
The Macan is fine at the moment, but just suppose you had project managed Bentley's only Le Mans win in the past 90 years and engineered the current diesel landspeed record, where might one's thoughts be headed to celebrate that?:dk:....and no!...a JCB Fastrac will not fit in the garage!
Fair point.

My thoughts would be towards copying Jane Weitzman, if I had the garage space. Starting with the 220, obviously but then....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very good......but at least you will be able to start paying VED for ir in a few months!!.....thats something to look forward to!!

Very good......but at least you will be able to start paying VED for ir in a few months!!.....thats something to look forward to!!
Yipee!:banana:🥳

Fair point.

My thoughts would be towards copying Jane Weitzman, if I had the garage space. Starting with the 220, obviously but then....

That is a fantastic collection of cars, some real crackers there! But my aim in the past few years is to reduce my collection and have just two vehicles. I'm fortunate that I can borrow the odd XJ220 now and again and not have the responsibility and costs of ownership.
When it comes time to replace the Macan, it must be a practical, usable, refined, luxurious long distance vehicle which does not cost the earth to run.

That is a fantastic collection of cars, some real crackers there! But my aim in the past few years is to reduce my collection and have just two vehicles. I'm fortunate that I can borrow the odd XJ220 now and again and not have the responsibility and costs of ownership.
When it comes time to replace the Macan, it must be a practical, usable, refined, luxurious long distance vehicle which does not cost the earth to run.

Of course you're right.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 15.16.07.png

Fair point.

I saw Jane having a passenger lap around Silverstone in the XJ1: last week.

Any thoughts on potential contenders which meet all of those criteria ?

Any thoughts on potential contenders which meet all of those criteria ?
I'm going to narrow it down even further by hoping the car will celebrate my work at Le Mans with Bentley and getting the diesel land speed record!
That leaves me with probably a car was only built for about a year, and then I don't want it black in either the outside or inside....
So the contenders are only really a very few cars in the country.....at least, that is my current thinking:eek:

What's not to like when it's blue and cream, but this ain't no diesel....

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 08.32.37.png

They do a Bentayga Diesel.........but being blind is the only excuse to buy one!!!

1280px-2017_Bentley_Bentayga_V8_Diesel_Automatic_4.0_Front.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom