• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mac's Tech car

As I'm sure you know the dba reading is that of drive by noise not what comes into the car. The numbers do give some indication of what we might expect, but do not adequately convey the transformation of tranquilly, not only in quantity and quality of noise, but in comfort, grip and control.
The little EV is so quiet at low speed that tyres make a larger difference than one might reasonably expect.😁
I think you have 19" alloys, mine are 20" and i suspect the ride on my i3 is a tad firmer than yours but entirely fine to live with.

Last edited:
I think you have 19" alloys, mine are 20" and i suspect the ride on my i3 is a tad firmer than yours but entirely fine to live with.
Best you don't try the upgrade to ride quality that can be achieved with Evolve's dampers, you might change your mind. That could be expensive🤣

I've been considering one of these for my tip/dog car.

Any pointers? I've seen some 21 plate ones under £15k.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Google search bmw i3 options and read the july 2020 pdf it explains all the options etc, go for the largest 42.2kwh battery, your budget gives you supreme choice.

My little i3 tripped over 10K miles today. That makes 5k miles in the year we have had it. It was serviced for around £200 locally a month ago at a local garage and that has been it's only running costs in that year. Fuel has been courtesy of the excess solar energy from our house. Insurance is £450.
I have gifted the car a set of Michelin tyres and a Evolve dampers, but I should include that in Capex, as it was discretional, but has completely sorted any reservations about the ride quality.
A year on and it is still our perfect local car.

My little i3 tripped over 10K miles today. That makes 5k miles in the year we have had it. It was serviced for around £200 locally a month ago at a local garage and that has been it's only running costs in that year. Fuel has been courtesy of the excess solar energy from our house. Insurance is £450.
I have gifted the car a set of Michelin tyres and a Evolve dampers, but I should include that in Capex, as it was discretional, but has completely sorted any reservations about the ride quality.
£540 for two services at BMW.

1722366119807.png

The smart meter requirement is part of a pricing package.

I believe that issue is that you can "buy" a low headline price for off-peak and/or EV, but end up with a higher peak price, so the saving isn't quite as good as you expected. (I'm told by my house bookkeeper, by all means disagree if anyone has other experience).
OVO Charge Anytime means you can set a departure time (e.g. 8am) and the car will be charged overnight at 7p per kWh. All other appliances will be on your regular tariff, not an increased one. But you need either a compatible home charger, or car, with half hour smart meter.

@Mactech - with a few miles under them, are you still pleased with the Evolve dampers? They now do a set of special Billies for the BMW F30/31 platform tuned to give a more acceptable ride on UK roads and for the money look rather tempting.

@Mactech - with a few miles under them, are you still pleased with the Evolve dampers? They now do a set of special Billies for the BMW F30/31 platform tuned to give a more acceptable ride on UK roads and for the money look rather tempting.
Very much so! They are also Bilstein dampers valved to Evolve's own spec. They are certainly the biggest step forward in the ride and handling I have made on the i3, followed by the change to much more recently developed Michelin tyres.
I first had my eyes opened as to what Bilstein could do with dampers back in 1978, when we did some testing with them at Nurburgring with an F2 car on the way back from Hockenhiem.
Two weeks later we pitched up and won the race!

Very much so! They are also Bilstein dampers valved to Evolve's own spec. They are certainly the biggest step forward in the ride and handling I have made on the i3, followed by the change to much more recently developed Michelin tyres.
I first had my eyes opened as to what Bilstein could do with dampers back in 1978, when we did some testing with them at Nurburgring with an F2 car on the way back from Hockenhiem.
Two weeks later we pitched up and won the race!
Thanks for the input and apologies for sidetracking the thread slightly :rolleyes:

Oh! You were bang on topic. Just because it's not a EV vs ICE comment doesn't mean you have to say it twice....😂🤣

From 11.11

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Whilst topping the EV up with 'fuel' I've become aware that I'm using a very familiar unit...mph!
On my home 'granny' charger, the one connected to the home solar supply which gives about 2.5 kWh when the sun is out (+/- 25% depending on cloud density) it charges the car at a very sedate 10mph. That assumes I'm getting about 5miles per Kh (+/- 25% depending on temperature !)
Next week I will use a 50kWh fast charger for only the 3rd time and expect to fill at 200mph!
That sounds really quick, and I hope not to be stopped for much over half an hour.
I wonder why manufacturers don't use this unit. They know the miles per Kw the car is likely to do, the maximum charging rate and doesn't then leave Jo Public with the maths to do as the how much they should charge?
It would certainly dispel the myth that EV can't travel long distances if you have something that will charge at 400mph.....:dk:

Whilst topping the EV up with 'fuel' I've become aware that I'm using a very familiar unit...mph!
On my home 'granny' charger, the one connected to the home solar supply which gives about 2.5 kWh when the sun is out (+/- 25% depending on cloud density) it charges the car at a very sedate 10mph. That assumes I'm getting about 5miles per Kh (+/- 25% depending on temperature !)
Next week I will use a 50kWh fast charger for only the 3rd time and expect to fill at 200mph!
That sounds really quick, and I hope not to be stopped for much over half an hour.
I wonder why manufacturers don't use this unit. They know the miles per Kw the car is likely to do, the maximum charging rate and doesn't then leave Jo Public with the maths to do as the how much they should charge?
It would certainly dispel the myth that EV can't travel long distances if you have something that will charge at 400mph.....:dk:
“Can charge at speeds up to….”

Important to be clear that charges don’t actually charge at the headline top speed, just “speeds up to..”

And, of course, charge speeds are higher from 20-50%, then slow somewhat, and then slow dramatically past 90%.

Not that people use high speed chargers very often, unless they’re in the 40+ thousand miles per year trades

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom