• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mac's Tech car

What is the Auxiliary Heating System?
Heating in an electric vehicle is sourced from electric power because there is no combustion engine to provide thermal energy. This is why the BMW i3 comes with an optional heat pump, which is activated automatically and extracts energy from the air around the car.

Congrats Slim. Who'da thought;)

So the electricity costs are roughly equal to a 30mpg ICE car. (100 miles £20)
That all depends how you charge it! If you use home grown Norfolk sunshine, the costs are negligible.
If you have to use those sparks which come from the national grid, then that depends on what tariff you charge the car on!
Since April mine has done 5.4 Miles per kWh on short hops with Michelin tyres. BMW claim 4 :dk:

Congrats Slim. Who'da thought;)

So the electricity costs are roughly equal to a 30mpg ICE car. (100 miles £20)
For those unable to run a cable from home, office, or industrial unit.

For most EV owners, who don’t have to pay for that service it’ll be electricity cost roughly equal to a 90 mpg ICE car.

And then there’s the RFL and maintenance cost savings

But it’s still probably only a grand a year. In fuel, tax and servicing.

Unless you’re in a new company car, where the savings are in the thousands.

Insurance

Confused £655

Go compare £502

The last service at Bmw cost £235.25 - £30 of that figure was for the Mot

Front and rear bmw advanced eye cam 2.0 camera supplied and fitted at Bmw for £475

Last edited:
My neighbour pays 7p per KWh on his EV tarrif...so at his usual 3.5 mile per kwh (Pug 308 EV) thats 2p per mile.....my 45mpg derv works out at around 15p per mile......its not even close.

My neighbour pays 7p per KWh on his EV tarrif...so at his usual 3.5 mile per kwh (Pug 308 EV) thats 2p per mile.....my 45mpg derv works out at around 15p per mile......its not even close.
Yep i need to check the Ovo tariff but the !!!!!!!!!!! only offer it with a poxy smart meter.

Last edited:
So what?....nothing wrong with that....had one since they first came out as they offered a short term discount to encourage me. Don't believe all the nonsense you read online about them. I have them on my gas and leccy meters. I don't use the little screen though....using extra electricity to power the screen to try and save some seems a bit silly.

The smart meter requirement is part of a pricing package.

I believe that issue is that you can "buy" a low headline price for off-peak and/or EV, but end up with a higher peak price, so the saving isn't quite as good as you expected. (I'm told by my house bookkeeper, by all means disagree if anyone has other experience).

The smart meter requirement is part of a pricing package.

I believe that issue is that you can "buy" a low headline price for off-peak and/or EV, but end up with a higher peak price, so the saving isn't quite as good as you expected. (I'm told by my house bookkeeper, by all means disagree if anyone has other experience).
The balance between electricity consumption in the house and car will determine whether an EV tariff works out more cost effective or not.

In our case, our EV doesn’t use enough electricity to make it worthwhile. I suspect that will change when we have a second EV.

My neighbour pays 7p per KWh on his EV tarrif...so at his usual 3.5 mile per kwh (Pug 308 EV) thats 2p per mile.....

Mentioned before, but although it's very common to see EV mileage priced up on the basis of kWh consumed when driving this isn't accurate. Home charging is relatively inefficient - losses of around 20% are quite normal (that's what @Mactech reported here), but can be as high as 30%. So you are actually using more kWh than the car reports. Still cheap mileage of course (even more so if you use your own solar power to charge).

Yes - 68A is superb, the dunlops on my 204 are 69 and they are supremely quiet.

View attachment 159528
As I'm sure you know the dba reading is that of drive by noise not what comes into the car. The numbers do give some indication of what we might expect, but do not adequately convey the transformation of tranquilly, not only in quantity and quality of noise, but in comfort, grip and control.
The little EV is so quiet at low speed that tyres make a larger difference than one might reasonably expect.😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom