Main Dealer Experience - Am I being reasonable?

• Thread starter Deleted member 134751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is becoming an industry wide problem, because most main agents these days are now part of large motor groups that have multiple brands, and therefore have generic customer service models. If you don't ask for, and complain when you don't get the service you want, it will never change.

I represent my employer, if the get it wrong and do a poor job, then I am a poor employee by association. And I don't want to be, so I take that complaint upstairs and step on whomever it is necessary to get it done right. (Disclaimer: my employer is American and understands luxury brands and above all luxury service. Stratstone might pretend too, but they are the same as JCT, Marshall, Arnold Clarke et all whom have absolutely no idea about luxury/prestige service). If the employment laws were not so protective in the UK, the attitude of the 'front desk nazi' and the lazy **** service advisor would change pretty rapid.

You mentioned you had a TPMS problem. The technician (I use that term out of respect) should have been able to tell you right away by looking at the TPMS valve if it needed replacing (they have clearly visible battery dates on them when the tyre is removed, 5-6 years life is reasonable, 3-4 years is recommended), and given the age of your motor the cretins should have advised you of that when you booked it in. That in itself is ground for complaining and refusing to pay for anything other than the tyre valve second time around.

MB workshop jobs are heavily time managed, they get given set minutes to complete the mechanical works according to the job cards, I would largely expect that they did complete it in time, if they didn't MB UK will have a thing or too to say about that. My dealers are very proficient with time/labour estimates but there backlog point is the washbay, I presume they washed your car also? I tell them not to bother with that as it seems to add hours to routine or simple tasks.

Edinburgh newbridge is where all our cars come from. We’ve had great service from both sales and service.
In someways still behave like old school Merc dealers like Glen Henderson in Ayr used to.

Edinburgh newbridge is where all our cars come from. We’ve had great service from both sales and service.
In someways still behave like old school Merc dealers like Glen Henderson in Ayr used to.

Used them for both of mine, absolutely clueless and inept at sat nav updates and have no qualms in telling you bare faced lies to put you off getting a FREE update.

Used them for both of mine, absolutely clueless and inept at sat nav updates and have no qualms in telling you bare faced lies to put you off getting a FREE update.
Always a level of ineptness in every business unfortunately. Lack of training and common sense.

Used them for both of mine, absolutely clueless and inept

In saying that I had the E55 into them for suspension level setting and alignment a couple of weeks ago.

The alignment machine wasn't working and they couldn't do the level setting as the airbag touched the shock (car on 2 post lift with wheels fully extended).
I tried to explain it should be on a 4 post ramp with suspension fully loaded but didn't have much success.

They still charged my £99, so easy earner for them.

In saying that I had the E55 into them for suspension level setting and alignment a couple of weeks ago.

The alignment machine wasn't working and they couldn't do the level setting as the airbag touched the shock (car on 2 post lift with wheels fully extended).
I tried to explain it should be on a 4 post ramp with suspension fully loaded but didn't have much success.

They still charged my £99, so easy earner for them.
Why did you pay them ? Get the guy in charge out and explain the idiotic behaviour of the technician !

Why did you pay them ? Get the guy in charge out and explain the idiotic behaviour of the technician !

Didn't think about it till I was back home and checked the invoice, pointless arguing as they quoted £99 to "look" at it, they would simply argue they did "look".
I started to wonder if the "alignment machine not working" may have translated to "we don't have anyone that knows how to work it".

Merc have been going for volume for a while. Premium cars and prices but not the customer service I'm afraid.

Lexus on the other hand, 3 different dealers and the service is in another level. Free courtesy cars, pick up and drop off, service done in 2 hours, tyres replaced for £10 each and in less than an hour, free puncture repairs. That's just the ones that come to mind.

Merc have been going for volume for a while. Premium cars and prices but not the customer service I'm afraid.

Lexus on the other hand, 3 different dealers and the service is in another level. Free courtesy cars, pick up and drop off, service done in 2 hours, tyres replaced for £10 each and in less than an hour, free puncture repairs. That's just the ones that come to mind.
Yes an uncle of mine has a LS 600 electric barge. He tells us how amazing CS at Lexus is.

Find a good independent; one who doesn't sell cars, so you're not paying for a flashy showroom and free coffee and wifi, just good service. All his income comes from servicing and repairs, so if he doesn't come up to scratch, he goes out of business.

Yes an uncle of mine has a LS 600 electric barge. He tells us how amazing CS at Lexus is.

Mind you, i think the prices are higher or the service intervals are lower but it's all included which I find appealling. Man dealers charging for courtesy cars I find is ridiculous

I have used MB Temple Temple Fortune twice 10 years ago and wasn't pleased.

I have recently used MB Brooklands twice and was very pleased.

Over the years I have used both Olly at PCS Horndean and Terry at Wayne Gates in Harrow on various ocassitions and they have always been fantastic, I can't recommend them enough.

But it is very difficult to understand why so many MB dealers get it wrong... over the years I have used main dealers for Toyota, Vauxhall, Renault, Kia, and Suzuki and the majority of them were either good or great.

I looked into Lexus previously to see if they suited.

Their service prices at main dealer are expensive (although no worse than the Germans), although if the service is excellent then you get what you pay for so this wouldn't bother me.

However, having tried a 62 plate LS460 (which is based on the previous model and was shyte - felt about 10 years behind an S Class of a similar vintage), a 67 plate GS300h Premier (which did ride well) and NX300h, the conclusion I came to is I felt like I had died inside driving them.

They do a job, they do it well but I felt numb driving them around. Japanese are not famed for their character-full cars, sure, but never a truer word spoken!

I'd rather drive a Merc and use an inde who cares about customer service and their customers in general.

Another bad encounter. Last Oct. main dealer inspection told I had a cracked nearside front, the tyer hadn't deflated so I figured it's not too bad, I could get it welded ok.
I've mentioned this here already but not the whole story, dealer takes sharp intake of breath and says ,welds usually fail, I ask cost of new wheel, £800, I'm often in this dealers, I have service contract and have bought cars from them, but not this one, I say that's a bit steep what about £600 ooh! can't do that much, he was ass, manager, asked his boss comes back with £700 so I say do it, they order the wheel he gives me a brand new E 220 for 2 days I'm off. 4pm next day heard nothing so ring him, ah! had a problem we've damaged your car, " how the f#ck have you managed that? " Wasn't me was the tyer fitter,I drove over, apparently he'd jacked the nearside up to remove the wheel and left the drivers door open, as the nearside was raised the offside came down onto I don't know, and folded the drivers door to a big crease across half the bottom edge,"you'll need a new door and respray, he said" I said f#@#_+-##** unbelievable#"*"*, " very sorry sir we've ordered the door should be all done in a week."I left in the E class still cursing. This was the begining of last October.
Mid November after a lot more aggravation from them and visiting their body and spray repair workshop in Maidstone, where it had only bee since the previous Tues, and didn't know it happened the month before, told me I could collect it after the weekend, took me to see it, excellent looked brand new. Dealer rings Mon, " you can collect your car Tues well ring you." I'm not making this up. He rings Wednesday I get the car, off we go,the fuel light comes on it almost empty, there's an extra 100 miles on the clock, this time my wife's apoplectic, wants answers, the body shop is a return from dealers of 40 miles, I'd assumed it would have gone there by truck, so what happened. They drove it there for repair, drove it back all done, somehow managed to scratch the new door and had to return it for another paint repair, you could not make it up.
It was only Mrs 103s interrogation of the +#*_#*#s that finally got the truth, hadn't even bothered to put a couple of litres in to get us home. I could go on, save to say after some more negotiation I paid just half price for the wheel £400 got it welded about £ 30 and sold it on e bay to someone in Greece for£125 + shipping cost.
I've still got two more services on my contract to go, so may change to another, Tonbridge used to be ok, but eventually will get an Independent.
If you've read this far , I hope you haven't been too bored and you've all I'm sure, had bad experiences with the stealers, but this for me was beyond farce. You can more or less figure out the dealers involved so I'll tell you it was Lookers. We were glad to just get the car back before Christmas! PS writing it all down some would say helps. It doesn't. :confused:

Last edited:
You've also got Alexander Foti (indepedent) on this forum now in Tonbridge I read recently - moved from Dartford.

Steve Garlick used to be at Tonbridge but now near Meopham / Maidstone as an independent I emailed him a few of years ago when I had gearbox problem, never sure quite where he is.

Another bad encounter.

That sounds pretty bad!

There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with main dealers - has anyone ever complained directly to Mercedes? And did anything good come from it?

There's also MTA Network in Woodchurch near Ashford/Tenterden, might be a bit closer than Tonbridge. They look after my C220 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom