Main dealer predictability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Strange re the tyres. Audi Glasgow price match tyres with local tyre shops. The SQ7 needs 4 tyres every 8k miles .......

It is...but this is what annoys me about dealers. Why don’t they all operate the same way? Why do some (like Audi Glasgow) price match when Lookers group (who I use) try and make 100% markup. You shouldn’t have to ask. They shouldnt be ripping you off at every opportunity. Audi, Mercedes or whoever should be controlling the dealers who are the face of their brands to ensure a consistent and fair service offering. Seems to me each franchise can do what the heck it likes and this really does damage the brand associated with it.

It is...but this is what annoys me about dealers. Why don’t they all operate the same way? Why do some (like Audi Glasgow) price match when Lookers group (who I use) try and make 100% markup. You shouldn’t have to ask. They shouldnt be ripping you off at every opportunity. Audi, Mercedes or whoever should be controlling the dealers who are the face of their brands to ensure a consistent and fair service offering. Seems to me each franchise can do what the heck it likes and this really does damage the brand associated with it.
Exactly this. As an example why would 2 different MB dealers quote prices differing by £50 for exactly the same battery? It appears to be a lottery as to whether your local MB dealer can provide parts at competitive prices.

Morning. So this isn’t the usual ‘main dealer X is terrible’ thread.

But it beautifully illustrates all that is wrong with them.

My Audi needs its annual service. I take it to the main dealer as it is still under warranty so I like to avoid any question of warranty claim rejections due to non dealer servicing.

To start with the service. Fixed cost is £550 which is high but typical main dealer. That’s not my gripe.

The car needs new front tyres. I have always just gone to my local tyre shop and got them fitted there but with lockdown I figured I’d ask Audi to quote as it could be done with the service. I mean. How expensive could they be?

Car is running AO fitment P Zeros so I ask for a quote. £700 fitted for both!!!!!!!!

I call my local tyre shop. £360 for the exact same product fully fitted.

I know dealers need to make a profit but come on.....does anyone ever pay these prices? It’s just such a pi55 take.

I know we like to dealer bash on here but with good reason when prices are so out of kilter. Crazy.
Hi , well you were lucky with your tyres.

My neighbour has a V8 Audi A4 estate car Audi serviced.

Do not really know much more about it that that.

Needed new winter tyres so after a little haggling dealer fitted 4 tyres.

All tyres take little running in but he just could not get on with them so he decided to change them again.

He then went to a small local tyre dealer to ask for his opinion on good winter tyres.

Tyre inspection over and the manager came out scratching his head.

You are bloody lucky to get here said the manager , the tyres are 8 years old and rotten.Why did you buy second hand tyres for a car like this.

I did not was his reply , they are new have only been on for 3 weeks !

Well you cannot drive the car home in this state says the manager , leave the car in the depot and I will drop you home.

How can we sort the deal out for new new tyres.

My offer is down to trust on both sides says the manager.

OK says my neighbour.

Will put on 4 tyres of same spec but a different brand but for £ xxx.xx

I will send your tyres back under complaint but might need the invoice to prove purchase date.

As it happened not required.

Tyre company were non to pleased by the car dealers action and my neighbour received a cheque from the tyre manufacture to cover his loss.

I do not often deal with main/franchised MB dealers but I sometimes deal with real serious owned/franchises like KFC, McDonalds etc . Now those boys know how to run a franchise ,MB could learn a lot from them .

Imagine what would happen to a MacDo Franchisee if he started messing with prices and portion size ? he would be out the door and in court before your fries went cold , that quick.

"But Petrol , how can you compare a fast food joints with prestige car makers ?" I hear you cry. Easy , they are only in it for the money.

I wonder what % of dealerships carry a varied stock of tyres? Why tie money up in slow moving stock and expensive equipment? Normal practice is to have an account with a keenly priced local tyre supplier who collects the wheels then returns them newly shod and balanced. Discounted supply, inflated resale price and a paperwork exercise.

I do not often deal with main/franchised MB dealers but I sometimes deal with real serious owned/franchises like KFC, McDonalds etc . Now those boys know how to run a franchise ,MB could learn a lot from them .

Imagine what would happen to a MacDo Franchisee if he started messing with prices and portion size ? he would be out the door and in court before your fries went cold , that quick.

"But Petrol , how can you compare a fast food joints with prestige car makers ?" I hear you cry. Easy , they are only in it for the money.
On a high value purchase, what’s wrong with having pricing set locally, to reflect local cost base and demand? I personally don’t have an issue with that.

Maybe it’s no longer the case but McDonalds in airports and motorway service stations, I assume to reflect higher costs and shoot fish in a barrel.

Hi , well you were lucky with your tyres.

My neighbour has a V8 Audi A4 estate car Audi serviced.

Do not really know much more about it that that.

Needed new winter tyres so after a little haggling dealer fitted 4 tyres.

All tyres take little running in but he just could not get on with them so he decided to change them again.

He then went to a small local tyre dealer to ask for his opinion on good winter tyres.

Tyre inspection over and the manager came out scratching his head.

You are bloody lucky to get here said the manager , the tyres are 8 years old and rotten.Why did you buy second hand tyres for a car like this.

I did not was his reply , they are new have only been on for 3 weeks !

Well you cannot drive the car home in this state says the manager , leave the car in the depot and I will drop you home.

How can we sort the deal out for new new tyres.

My offer is down to trust on both sides says the manager.

OK says my neighbour.

Will put on 4 tyres of same spec but a different brand but for £ xxx.xx

I will send your tyres back under complaint but might need the invoice to prove purchase date.

As it happened not required.

Tyre company were non to pleased by the car dealers action and my neighbour received a cheque from the tyre manufacture to cover his loss.
Bo11ocks

On a high value purchase, what’s wrong with having pricing set locally, to reflect local cost base and demand? I personally don’t have an issue with that.

It used to be (it may still be) that there were some variations in AU car prices around the country. But there was also variation in the availability of some models - and how far people will travel.

My experience if car dealers is that you step across their threshold before you discuss price then their stratdgy is different compared with discussing prce over the phoen befire you cross the threshold.

I can't think of many interactions we've had over the years where there have not been attempts at mindgames of some sort - except where the deal has been pretty much concluded before any face to face contact.

When I initially called the main dealer who had my recently acquired Ml63 for sale,the first words from his mouth were offering me gap insurance.

The actual car sale seemed to be the last thing on his mind.

When I initially called the main dealer who had my recently acquired Ml63 for sale,the first words from his mouth were offering me gap insurance.

The actual car sale seemed to be the last thing on his mind.
His or her commission will be based upon several dimensions, selling the car being one, selling car finance another, selling insurance products another, selling paint and interior protection too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he or she gets more than £100 commission for the GAP insurance alone, it’s usually several times more expensive than buying directly from the insurer or broker.

His or her commission will be based upon several dimensions, selling the car being one, selling car finance another, selling insurance products another, selling paint and interior protection too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he or she gets more than £100 commission for the GAP insurance alone, it’s usually several times more expensive than buying directly from the insurer or broker.
Yeah he tried selling me all sorts,paint protection insurance, alloy wheel insurance, tyre insurance.

The only thing they don't sell it seems is pushy salesmen insurance.

My other reply has gone a stray but I assure you this is true.

You are entitled to your view , no hard feeling.

Again another story , again true , a friend of mine had top of the range luxury car that had electronic steering : he turned the steering wheel to turn left and the car turned right.

My other reply has gone a stray but I assure you this is true.

You are entitled to your view , no hard feeling.

Again another story , again true , a friend of mine had top of the range luxury car that had electronic steering : he turned the steering wheel to turn left and the car turned right.
So you're saying an Audi dealer fitted 8 year old part worn tyres for full price, then the tyre manufacture sent a cheque to cover his loss?
And you're saying these 8 year old/3 week old tyres were that bad, that it was dangerous to drive the car?

Sorry but I don't believe a word of that.

Why would a tyre manufacturer get involved with the finances?

So you're saying an Audi dealer fitted 8 year old part worn tyres for full price, then the tyre manufacture sent a cheque to cover his loss?
And you're saying these 8 year old/3 week old tyres were that bad, that it was dangerous to drive the car?

Sorry but I don't believe a word of that.

Why would a tyre manufacturer get involved with the finances?
Hi , as I stated before you are entitled to your view regarding my thread. If you don't believe me so be it but next time you buy tyres check the manufacturing date on each tyre.

From my understanding and I could be wrong that tyres are that are up to 5 years old are considered new.

My last MB was on a service contract and was due an MOT at the same time as the service. I knew a couple of tyres needed replacing. Got prices online and asked if main dealer would price match the particular tyres I wanted. They agreed.
Car was booked in and they had ample opportunity to get the tyres needed in to stock.
Car was left with them for the day. Late in the afternoon I received a call to advise the car had failed it's MOT due to faulty tyres. I asked why, when I had asked them to replace the tyres - the answer "we hadn't got the tyres in stock so we will need to keep your car until tomorrow, fit the new tyres then re-do the MOT" :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom