Manual Clutch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbob35

Car
C180 W203 Coupe (2003) 1.8L Petrol, Manual.
Hello all,

When the engine is cold my clutch is producing a 'lumpy' sensation in the way it transmits power to the wheels.
Its more noticeable when im putting a reasonable amount of power down.

Its not the engine, as when the clutch is fully dis-engaged its smooth to accelerate, but during the initial 'bite' of the clutch all the way to fully dis-engaged during moderate/hard acceleration its a little lumpy..

Any idea? Thanks

Hi,
When my slave cylinder was going my clutch pedal felt strange, might be worth checking it for leaks, mine was wet/leaking inside the bell housing of the gearbox, so it might be worth releasing from the gearbox (only two bolts) pulling it out (you can leave it connected) to inspect it.

Sounds like the dual mass flywheel. Not a cheap component.

Thanks for all the responses. Food for thought..

With regard to slipping, i've never had a problem coasting along in first gear and then flooring it. Would this be the best test to determine clutch wear?

Sounds like the dual mass flywheel. Not a cheap component.

Eeek indeed.
Are there any other symptoms of a worn DMF?

The only thing I've ever experienced like that is a warped clutch.

The dual mass flywheel is there to smooth out the clutch feel. If you can feel it pulsing then that'll be the cause.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Food for thought..

With regard to slipping, i've never had a problem coasting along in first gear and then flooring it. Would this be the best test to determine clutch wear?

Eeek indeed.
Are there any other symptoms of a worn DMF?

To check for slippage. drive in first gear at a steady high number of revs, then keeping the revs on slip the clutch. If it is OK it will instantly pick up again, if not you will hear and feel it slipping. This will also test the DMF too.

I performed your test, it resulted in a huge jolt as the engine and wheels were forced into running at the same speed again. No apparent slip.

I also did a few tests of my own, specifically: 3000rpm at stationary followed by a quick release of clutch; no apparent slip and a slight squeal of tire.
Interestingly the 'lumpy' sensation was not apparent on these 'tests' but i think that's because they don't seem to happen when the cars warm.

Any further advice welcome, as always :)

The only thing I've ever experienced like that is a warped clutch.

Saying that - this got worse as the clutch got hotter (say in traffic).

I don't think this is your issue in hindsight!

Apologias!

I performed your test, it resulted in a huge jolt as the engine and wheels were forced into running at the same speed again. No apparent slip.

I also did a few tests of my own, specifically: 3000rpm at stationary followed by a quick release of clutch; no apparent slip and a slight squeal of tire.
Interestingly the 'lumpy' sensation was not apparent on these 'tests' but i think that's because they don't seem to happen when the cars warm.

Any further advice welcome, as always :)

I assume when you said it jolted back in that you just let it in by a quick lift-off? The correct test is to release it slowly and see when it bites, if it slips you will notice it if it just picks up it is OK.

I would say that the DMF may be worn, but not bad enough to worry about -yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom