Matts 560E project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
questions:

- How difficult is the electrics? yours was already an injection model.. mines carb so im assuming a lot of wiring?
- Mounts?
- Gearbox? did the 560 box just fit in place?

Some times I question my own sanity with the things I buy for the car. I phone call to my older brother confirms that we are only here once on earth, so why not. Some folk spend more on going to football matches etc than I spend in 5 years. All of these projects are educational, and good clean fun and do not interfere with anyone else.
Some days I feel like moving again so that I can do some more wild projects. Jay has the enthusiasm and the facilities so why not.. Do it :)

- How difficult is the electrics? yours was already an injection model.. mines carb so im assuming a lot of wiring?

Regardless of the original car, you've got to remove all the engine electrics from the W123 loom then remove only the engine management and other engine electrics from the W126 loom. To be honest, a carb'd car would be easier if anything.

- Mounts?

They're bespoke, I had a blacksmith make mine based on Martyn's measurements, they were about £50.

- Gearbox? did the 560 box just fit in place?

Yeah, it fits right in - no chopping. Even the 230E saloon gearbox crossmember fits :)

As I say, I can't take credit for much of this car's build - Martyn had all the knowledge, I just pointed the spanner where I was told to and made lots of tea.

You should definitely do it, though. It's a rad conversion. And, as you know, free pipes on 560 engine sounds sooooooo nice. Even nicer when it's coming out of a W123 :)

And six points? You're not trying hard enough!

Nice read of the car stuff. I notice you used furniture clinic for the leather treatment. I've just used some of their leather balm and sealer which seemed good.
I went to them because their advice and product range appeared good. No regrets so far.

well I have been thinking about it for years.. the only thing that puts me off is that i use the car daily... i dont want to do it and then it be sitting on the driveway rusting away for lack of use due to running costs...

The americans have been doing this conversion since the 80's...

Will give me something to think about on Honeymoon..

The diff is from a W116. 2:2:4 ratio, if memory serves. There are better diffs to use - the V8 man from Devon is experimenting with a 5-speed Getrag manual conversion and LSD. Now that's going to be fun :)

You can buy ones like mine off the shelf from Pagoda for eighty sheets.

Also, I've never heard of this conversion in the States. Have you got any literature on it? I'd love to see what I've done wrong :D

Most unusual tyres I've ever seen :D

Most unusual tyres I've ever seen :D

Oops, didn't see this thread.

I've asked a Q about the tyres..HERE

unless a Mod fancies merging the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom