• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Memory upgrade Not being accepted by XP

peterchurch

Hi,
I have just installed a second 512meg chip in my laptop (Toshiba p20) the bios can see it but windoze doesn't :(
If I run a CD bootable linux disk like Gentoo Live cd, it can see the memory
anyone ever see this before.

I ran a memtest program and I got no errors. so I am a bit baffled...

any help appreciated :)

Peter

Never known that on XP.

Forgive me, but lets check the basics, how are you checking the memory in XP?

On bootup, hit delete (shift, or F2 on some mobos); enter the BIOS menu. Can you see the memory there? Next, one of the options should be something like "perform full memory test on bootup" enable this (sometimes they call it quick-boot, in this case disable quick boot). Reboot ur pc, does it check the expanded memory? Finally what type of RAM is it? some rams (RD for one) need to be installed in pairs... Something quite obvious too (you'll forgive me for covering everything i can think of) does the motherboard support 512mb chips? what speed is it? oh yeah, and how are you checking it from winodws?
Spinal

quick edit: just did a browse on google, it seems your laptop does support 512mbb chips, so thats covered. I've been browsing otshiba.com for info on a p20, but I can't seem to get help-files/manuals...
Spinal

Ok got some more info:
System memory standard : 512 MB
maximum expandability : 2,048 MB
technology : DDR RAM
Now, from what I know, RD ram (rambus) comes in coupled pairs; and if you want to install a single chip you need a blanking plate.. (as comes in most DELL's with DDR ram)... that said, Im looking for some info on DDR to check if its similar

and Im guessing this is the ram you're trying to install:
Description PC2100 / PC2700 Double Data Rate (DDR) SDRAM
Form factor PC2100 / PC2700 DDR
Module type SODIMM
Clock 333MHz

Last edited:
1) I check the bios on start up - it tests and passes 1023 meg of memory

2) Windows XP them loads and I select properties on my computer and it shows 473 meg available :( (removes 32 for the video)

3) task manager seems to show 512 less video plus the page file :confused:

I have ran the machine with just the new chip in and it shows the same...

Spinal said:
On bootup, hit delete (shift, or F2 on some mobos); enter the BIOS menu. Can you see the memory there? Next, one of the options should be something like "perform full memory test on bootup" enable this (sometimes they call it quick-boot, in this case disable quick boot). Reboot ur pc, does it check the expanded memory? Finally what type of RAM is it? some rams (RD for one) need to be installed in pairs... Something quite obvious too (you'll forgive me for covering everything i can think of) does the motherboard support 512mb chips? what speed is it? oh yeah, and how are you checking it from winodws?
Spinal

quick edit: just did a browse on google, it seems your laptop does support 512mbb chips, so thats covered. I've been browsing otshiba.com for info on a p20, but I can't seem to get help-files/manuals...
Spinal

Ok got some more info:
System memory standard : 512 MB
maximum expandability : 2,048 MB
technology : DDR RAM
Now, from what I know, RD ram (rambus) comes in coupled pairs; and if you want to install a single chip you need a blanking plate.. (as comes in most DELL's with DDR ram)... that said, Im looking for some info on DDR to check if its similar

and Im guessing this is the ram you're trying to install:
Description PC2100 / PC2700 Double Data Rate (DDR) SDRAM
Form factor PC2100 / PC2700 DDR
Module type SODIMM
Clock 333MHz

yes I have 1 512mg chip on board already I bought the second from cucial

PC2700 DDR 512mb

I only have two bays so they are now full. Linux sees the memory and the bios tests and sees all of it

peterchurch said:
yes I have 1 512mg chip on board already I bought the second from cucial

PC2700 DDR 512mb

I only have two bays so they are now full. Linux sees the memory and the bios tests and sees all of it

Hi Peter,
Is your first chip PC2700 DDR as I believe they have to be matched pairs.

Regards,
John

Hi,
Just a post to say I solved the issue by a reinstall. must have been something wrong/locked on toshibas standard build :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help :)

peterchurch said:
Hi,
Just a post to say I solved the issue by a reinstall. must have been something wrong/locked on toshibas standard build :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help :)

Not on the OEM Toshiba XP installs I have worked with, but glad it's sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom