Mercedes c220 2015 water damage through windscreen water leak through off all electrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sgreen93

Car
Mercedes c220
Hi guys,

Right so I have a c220 and unknowingly to me my windscreen was fitted but a fool before I bought it and it's been leaking water into the car for the last probably 12 months.... only noticing it when I was started my car one morning and the message read "without changing gear consult workshop" the car would not move out of park (auto). So with a bit of online investigating, I decided the best thing to do with to look for the electric plug for the selector stick (possibly in the footwell of the passenger side). So I pulled up the carpet to discover a mass amount of water I'm talking litres, how it hadn't left made the surface of the carpet I will never no. I dryed it all with a towel and investigated on the driver side too... same thing there completely soaking wet...
Now almost everything you can think of electronically has came up on the dash when starting the car, just flicks through multiple faults. Spoke to a friend of mine auto electrian he said get it all dry and then we will look at the codes and it's pointless doing it whilst it wet. 2 weeks of having heater in the car on and off and I am sure it is now completely dry. Got my friend back round and none of the code will clear still. So either something is broke and it affecting everything.. or.. only a merecedes approved person will be able to get into the cars ecu and try and clear the codes?

Any suggestions? I'm in the Birmingham (rubery, rednal)

Cheers

The bottom of the carpet is foam (noise damping), and hold significant amounts of water. The only way to get these back to being dry enough for your car to be safe in the future (if you can repair it now, see below) is to take them out and put them in an industrial drying oven (we get the local body shop to put carpets in there over-night).

Sadly under the carpets are wiring ducts and CAN bus distributors and a number of control units and a huge amount of important connectors (connecting the body loom to the dash loom to the engine bay loom) - theres also some battery related stuff in passenger footwell at the bottom of the fire-wall which are behind the carpet (and foam) and probably got wet too.

My suspicion here is that you are going to need a lot of electrical work, and you need to talk to your insurance company, because if it has been as wet as it seems on both sides, it is likely to be a write off. If the connectors have got more than slightly damaged then you're talking about new looms everywhere. (so possibly a write off too)

Sorry
Richard

The bottom of the carpet is foam (noise damping), and hold significant amounts of water. The only way to get these back to being dry enough for your car to be safe in the future (if you can repair it now, see below) is to take them out and put them in an industrial drying oven (we get the local body shop to put carpets in there over-night).

Sadly under the carpets are wiring ducts and CAN bus distributors and a number of control units and a huge amount of important connectors (connecting the body loom to the dash loom to the engine bay loom) - theres also some battery related stuff in passenger footwell at the bottom of the fire-wall which are behind the carpet (and foam) and probably got wet too.

My suspicion here is that you are going to need a lot of electrical work, and you need to talk to your insurance company, because if it has been as wet as it seems on both sides, it is likely to be a write off. If the connectors have got more than slightly damaged then you're talking about new looms everywhere. (so possibly a write off too)

Sorry
Richard
We can of course take a look and assess how much is knackered for you but we are a bit away from you in Lightwater in Surrey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom