Mercedes Me adapter now Free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the manufacturers are harvesting your data and using it for to their benefit (and the detriment of yours) is far from clear.

what detriment?

I tried to have one fitted at MB Hull about a month back. Failed as problems with the MB Me site that day but they wanted £25 for fitting.

Booked today for first available slot on 18 July. :eek:
Apparently it will take an hour to plug it in and set up the system. Dial up connection probably.

what detriment?

I quoted this article before How connected car tech is eroding personal privacy

Who really knows what information in addition to that displayed on the 'app' is being transmitted to the module, and in turn pushed out to Mercedes servers.

Yes they may want your data for legitimate troubleshooting purposes, but if that data includes your journeys and speed via stored GPS data - which then is stored indefinitely, can you be sure it wont be sold or used to your detriment in the future. Maybe I will receive retrospective speeding tickets with a change in legislation? I see the module like a potential telemetrics black-box.

The Cambridge Analytica scandal should have woken up everyone to the value of your data to companies, but also to the vulnerability after the sale (or even theft) of that data and use by third parties. I for one welcomed the GDPR, and have been continuously trying to reduce, or at the very least minimize my growing digital footprint. Not surprisingly, you have to be very pro-active.

It's easy to be blase and say, "who would want that data", or "they are welcome to it", or insinuate someone is "paranoid" if people care about their digital privacy.

Disconnecting a module in your car might be futile. Or not...

I think it’s the way of the world and you can only resist for so long before another method will come along that will get the data these people need or want, just look at new Mercedes, it’s built in to them now so no adapter required!

I think it’s the way of the world and you can only resist for so long before another method will come along that will get the data these people need or want, just look at new Mercedes, it’s built in to them now so no adapter required!

People could always write to Mercedes if concerned with a 'Subject Access Request' to ask what data they have stored on them.
There is a template on the ICOs website - Your right of access

It would be interesting to find out what is being stored if any of it meets the conditions for it to be deemed 'Personal Data'.

I would assume, if they are on-the-ball that a lot of the technical data would be anonymised.

Who really knows what information in addition to that displayed on the 'app' is being transmitted to the module, and in turn pushed out to Mercedes servers.

Yes they may want your data for legitimate troubleshooting purposes, but if that data includes your journeys and speed via stored GPS data - which then is stored indefinitely, can you be sure it wont be sold or used to your detriment in the future. Maybe I will receive retrospective speeding tickets with a change in legislation? I see the module like a potential telemetrics black-box.

The Cambridge Analytica scandal should have woken up everyone to the value of your data to companies, but also to the vulnerability after the sale (or even theft) of that data and use by third parties. I for one welcomed the GDPR, and have been continuously trying to reduce, or at the very least minimize my growing digital footprint. Not surprisingly, you have to be very pro-active.

It's easy to be blase and say, "who would want that data", or "they are welcome to it", or insinuate someone is "paranoid" if people care about their digital privacy.

Not a material risk to me

Any data is recorded in the ECU, which the dealer interrogates each time the vehicle is serviced.......

I suspect the reason it is free is that MB want to get as many unis out there (critical mass) so they can determine if their software is sufficient robust, prior to going more autonomous.

I had mine supplied and fitted free a couple of months ago by MB Bristol.
Not a must have but I find it useful to track my journeys for claiming mileage back at the end of the month.

People could always write to Mercedes if concerned with a 'Subject Access Request' to ask what data they have stored on them...

Presumably it will be detailed in their Privacy Policy that you have to accept when signing-up to Mercedes Me online?

Presumably it will be detailed in their Privacy Policy that you have to accept when signing-up to Mercedes Me online?

That isn’t allowed under GDPR ;)

That isn’t allowed under GDPR ;)
I would hazzard a guess that the last time anyone logged-in into the Mercedes Me website they were given whatever options/information/opt-in screens etc etc required to ensure that Mercedes Me are 100% GDPR compliant.

In short I doubt that after 25th May MB keep or collect any data about users that the users are unaware of and haven't explicitly consented to (assuming they actually read what they click on).

I would hazzard a guess that the last time anyone logged-in into the Mercedes Me website they were given whatever options/information/opt-in screens etc etc required to ensure that Mercedes Me are 100% GDPR compliant.

In short I doubt that after 25th May MB keep or collect any data about users that the users are unaware of and haven't explicitly consented to (assuming they actually read what they click on).
Your guess is correct. And they did that long before GDPR came into effect.

Blimey Mark, 45 (46 later this year!)from Golders Green, North London, member here since 28/08/‘16 with a lovely C63 Estate 507 (your track days at Silverstone look great!), what ya panicking about!?! :p

Only kidding, ‘tis scary these days with hackers etc. I worry about my son (11yrs old) on that bloody Fortnite game, seems like a hackers dream (kids ((adults?!?)) are gullible).

Now if you can just give me your mother’s maiden name, name of you first/favourite pet/car and place of birth I’ll be on my way ;)

HeHe - yes, my point entirely.

There is clearly some information that we are comfortable with sharing - but that doesn't have to extend to everything. With forums, you are volunteering this information, to create a degree of trust with other members that you hope is mutual. This openness should create a better community within like-minded members - right?

You can choose anonymity (as you have Chugg!!) or you can be more inclusive by sacrificing some of your privacy.

Unlike forums, Manufacturers and corporations have an agenda - to make money for their shareholders. Your data, ether anonymized or personal is digital gold (well, personal is gold - anonymized is silver!) , and can be easily monetized without your knowledge.

The inevitability of your total digital self being available for anyone on on the internet may be just that, but you can reduce the rate with which the picture is created without much inconvenience. Taking it to extremes would lead to virtual paralysis and be self-defeating so there is clearly a balance.

With regards to the Me adapter - I'd prefer my journeys and speeds were not readily available. There may be other information transmitted, I would prefer not to share - my phone book details and calls perhaps.

I didn't read the MercedesMe terms and conditions prior to the GDPR as I opted-out. Did anyone read them?

I will however contact Mercedes next week an find out their policy is regarding what information is downloaded from the ECU and more importantly stored when your car is in the garage.

Interesting to read about this free adaptor. My car has been in my local dealer earlier this year for some work and just had the annual service and no mention of it. Would seem to be an easy avenue to shift some units to cumstomers booked in for work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom