• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mercedes W124 M103 no start read on ....

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Car under cover till May . Went to start her up and i hear this humming sound, i have never noticed this before at any time in 8 years of my ownership .Right away i thought pims are on the way out . But then today i needed to move the car for workers to do work on my drive ,.So she startted right up no hum and stopped right away .....So any idear whats wrong ? i used another good known FPR along with spark tool and it check ok for spark .Still no start up ..fuel pumps or what ? All electrics HT side serviced by me 2 years back .

Does the 2.6 have twin fuel pumps? I wonder if one of them is siezed :thumb:

Time for old school diagnostics. Pull a plug and check for fuel - in absence or abundance.

Yes twin pumps . And as for the usual things to check i have done it .. FP relay changed for the spare i took out after new one purchased ,,,checked spark ,its fine OVP fuses checked ok .Just no fuel .CPS works or there would be no spark ....it made a humming sound started up and stoped right after .I recon its been running on one pump for some time . Let you know how i get on adter i use Starter Fluid . It will prove if no fuel is getting up to the FD .

Bet the pumps are gummed up, possibly the strainer will be similar - 35 years old if they’re original and modern fuel with ethanol probably doesn’t help.

These fuel systems are getting old now - even if fuel pumps are running there’s a good chance parts of the KE-jet system are sticky - eg fuel distributor. They don’t like sitting unused for long periods of time anymore.

You can pour a trickle of fuel into the intake and see if it fires? :)

Will Thanks . I use RED X on every fill up , Would not think it was gum . Waiting for a tin of Quick Start to come ,,other half is picking one up as we talk ..And yes Ethanol might come in to it if it wont start after i use it . But pumps are old so changing them will do any harm .​

I’m not sure if redex will counter the effects of E10 fuel though, it’s still likely to draw in moisture and corrode/gum up the fuel system if left standing.

I would recommend more regular use, and try and use premium petrol with the lower ethanol content.

When did you last put fresh petrol in the car - I understand it doesn’t get used regularly anyway? Could be worth draining the tank if so and replacing the strainer, especially if you’re going to be putting new pumps etc in.

But i cand do jobs like i used to . I have problems with my health 80 next year . I get one fair day out of two . Thinking of changing my password to Waiting For God lol ..

Tonye This car keept me active from the day i had it 8 years ago .Spent an arm and a leg on it .And it keeps me doing things as well ...I think if she goes it will be the end of me also .

Any grand children interested in the car, pass it on to a family member maybe.

Dont have any siblings .And relations are tucked up in a world of their own ..Once i get this problem sorted out it will time to let her go ...so many parts in the garage for it, and those will go with the car .The Quick starart came yesterday , but after garden work was done i have very little time to evaluate if its the pumps or the FD is gummed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom