michelin crossclimate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
here is down south for me ash !

jonnyboy said:
here is down south for me ash !

Haha, it must of just been in the Midlands

Haven't experienced the MB in snow yet, didn't fancy it back when I owned a BMW either and that was useless in such weather

I did wonder that.
The reality is that we last had snow 3 years ago here, not even much in the way of frost last year, plus we have an L200 for if/when it does fall. Was just wondering if it was worth it based on having to change 2 x tyres anyway. I don't particularly want to put 4 on for the next owner's benefit!

There are no legal obligations and no requirements from the insurance companies either, id ignore all that.

In your position i would only replace the 2 fronts as your galaxy is a Front wheel drive vehicle and thats where it needs the most traction. The rear wheels are only trailing wheels and dont really do much to help the drive or aid you in snow..

In your position i would only replace the 2 fronts as your galaxy is a Front wheel drive vehicle and thats where it needs the most traction.

Don't do this!

If you put tyres that have more grip on the front then when you have to brake hard on a slippery road the rear wheels will swing round and you will have no control over the vehicle.

Don't do this!

If you put tyres that have more grip on the front then when you have to brake hard on a slippery road the rear wheels will swing round and you will have no control over the vehicle.

No they bloody dont, not unless your bringing a pretty big trailer around with you.

In the case of this Galaxy the rears are only half worn, meaning theres more than adequate grip round the back.

In the case of this Galaxy the rears are only half worn, meaning theres more than adequate grip round the back.

The rears tyres are a different type of rubber though which will have limited grip levels in cold weather below 7°C.
The type of tread or depth has nothing to do with it.
And on a Galaxy which has high centre of gravity it will be even more unstable.

Don't do this!

It's not just braking hard - gentle bends taken at speed can cause the back-end to let go while the fronts are gripping fine. It's well demonstrated in lots of You Tube videos at surprising low speeds.

ESP in most modern cars should catch it, but some systems are better than others. It can have the effect of trying to straighten the car out while the road is still bending so it puts you on the wrong side of the road.

Update-

Ok, So I've done around 500 ish miles since having them fitted on Wednesday and I'm impressed, Obviously I've not tried them in snow and ice yet, but it won't be long!!

Dry handling,
Lots of grip, corners very well with lots of grip and the rolling road noise is very low.

Wet handling,

Lots and lots of grip!!!! it was very, very wet on the way to work this morning and I felt planted and secure driving at motorway speeds up the M62 this morning, I've hit a few puddles that I couldn't safely avoid while doing lower speeds and you don't get the 'yank' to the left hand side as the tyre hits the water.

For £250, I'm very impressed with them.

Alan

Great, it sounds like they are doing the job they were designed to do :thumb:

I bought 4 of these tyres at Costco 2 weeks ago when they had a £50 off deal and got 205.55.16v set for £228.
I have done approx. 500 miles with them and agree with AL21784 that the grip is very good on both wet and dry roads. The proof of course will be in the snow and ice with my rear wheel drive Merc

I'm getting 4 of these boots fitted to the c-class tomorrow. Will let you know how they are. So far across the whole web Iv only seen positive things about them

Well got the 4 new cross climates but ATS put the car in for alignment and couldn't find the W204 anywhere in their electronic alignment thing. The seem thoroughly confused and tried to use what the manager called "a normative figure between the two wheels". Based on some dodgie figure from auto data. I'd paid £38 in advance online so I'm going to phone them up tomorrow to complain and get my money back. Also had to do an emergency stop from 60mph on the way home. Pleased to say with some help from ABS they performed miles better than what they were replacing.

I had these fitted a few weeks ago and was complemented by the fitter for doing my research properly for this car. That weekend I needed to drive through the night in minus 2 across a very hilly west Dorset (A31) to Hampshire. Very pleased with the grip and confidence of these tyres in those conditions. Agree with the positive comments about driving in very wet conditions too. So far pretty impressive.

Little update after a few week. Well here in West Wales we have had a lot of surface flooding. Most roads have had a couple of inches of standing water. I literally wouldn't have driven my car on the old tyres. Well these tyres are the best wet weather tyres Iv ever used. So much grip in wet conditions it inspires confidence. Really comfortable and much less road noise than the Michelin energy savers. I will be fitting these to all my cars in the future. Good price too at &300 for the whole set

Had a set fitted to my wife's Civic. Early impressions are good - they certainly shift standing water much better than the Yokohamas that were on before (though you would expect that given the type of tyres they are), and they are considerably quieter than both the Yokohamas and the Michelin Primacys that were on originally.
It'll be interesting to see how long they last.

W245 se

I was considering CrossClimates for my car, a 2009 B180 Blue Efficiency, but was advised by Merc customer assistance that they were definitely not suitable. Anyone else heard this?

I was considering CrossClimates for my car, a 2009 B180 Blue Efficiency, but was advised by Merc customer assistance that they were definitely not suitable. Anyone else heard this?

Did they say why?

I could only think BlueEfficieny cars maybe have low rolling resistance ("eco") tyres and CrossClimates aren't in that category.

Thanks. I'm waiting on a reply from them. Autobild test in 2015 did give Goodyear 4seasons (which Mercedes say are OK) 9 for RR against 7 for the CrossClimates. I'll post the Merc reply when I get it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom