• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ML 270CDi - Black Smoke when accelerating!!

smifster

Car
ML 270CDi on 22's
Hi Guys

Please help!!

I have just bought a ML 270CDi on a 02 plate with 92K on the clock and full MB history. I have had a number of issues with the ML including the 22in alloys it came with being held on with a couple of the wheel nuts having string wrapped around them!! but I'll leave that story for another thread!

The problem I need advise on it:

When I accelerate my ML puffs black smoke, when idling there's no sign of any smoke. If I gently accelerate there is a very small amount of smoke and if I accelerate hard there's quite abit....not a big thick cloud of smoke but enough that I can see it in my mirrors.

I had the ML serviced recently (not by MB) and they plugged it into a diagnostic machine but the only faults they found where bulbs blown and a couple of faulty sensors.. They said the smoke could be:

1, it may have been used for short journeys by the prevoius owner so need's a good couple of runs
2, It has been chipped (previous owner) so probably runs rich!
3, it has a oil leak near the turbo which could be the turbo!! and, if it is the turbo thats leaking that would cause it to smoke....:O(
4, it's age

I have been looking at other ML's as they drive past and most dont seem to smoke!

The ML does look like its been looked after and does have full MB history although most services have been late. I've only had it for about 3 weeks now and its been in and out of the place I bought it from so I haven't really had much time behind the wheel

Is it common for 270CDi's to smoke when you accelerate?
should be worried!

Hello

All dervs if you really plant it seem to smoke even newish ones. My brothers X type in third gear on a slip road especially when its just going dark almost hides the car behind you if you give it beans....

Some engines are better than others mind.

If you have only had it three weeks and done few miles in that time it may require a good heartly run to clean out all the crud. Does it only happen on kick down (pretty hard accelerating) or normal accelerating.

I think given the millage and the nature of derv engines it shouldn't be too much to worry about, unless it gets worse?

Welcome to MB Club.

Unless it's really excessive it's quite normal.

Give it an italian tune up, and a dose of Forte for pudding ...just for good measure.

It maybe caused by either a leaky boost pipe, a faulty egr valve or a faulty air mass sensor.

Thanks guys for the feedback,

judging by what you have said maybe its not as bad as I first thought!
And in answer to the question by A210AMG it only realy seams to smoke on hard accelerating. When the ML is ideling or ifr I accelerate slowly there doesnt seam to be any smoke....if if there is I can't see it so it can't be that bad!.

When I was going through the paper work I got with the ML I found the original sales recipt with said there is a Brabus chip fitted, would, could this cause the smoking?

The Brabus chip may well be making the smoke more noticeable.

Let me know if you don't want it!! :devil:

When I was going through the paper work I got with the ML I found the original sales recipt with said there is a Brabus chip fitted, would, could this cause the smoking?

Check the chip is still there !!!

Cata-Clean

Worked in my E320 CDI 02, worth spending £14 on a 500ml bottle ;-)

Its simple to tell if the chip is still fitted if it drives nicely and has loads of power even from low rpm its chipped:D, if its a gutless bag of poo and needs loads of revs to go and has no extra power up a long steep hill its standard.
Bear in mind its a 2 plus ton car with a peewee diesel engine.

Google says std 0/60 12 seconds, brabus 9 seconds.

Lynall

Last edited:
Its simple to tell if the chip is still fitted if it drives nicely and has loads of power even from low rpm its chipped:D, if its a gutless bag of poo and needs loads of revs to go and has no extra power up a long steep hill its standard.
Bear in mind its a 2 plus ton car with a peewee diesel engine.

Google says std 0/60 12 seconds, brabus 9 seconds.

Lynall

Hi Lynell

Must still have it as the ML seams to have plenty of power, havent tried the 0 to 60 yet but will do and let you know the outcome

My last car disco TD5 was chipped/ intercooled and all sorts of clobber, std drove fine just a bit flat not to keen to rev absolutely no smoke ever, chip in went very wel:)l revved like the clappers also smoked not badly but noticable especially in the winter with the dark nights and everyones headlamps on.

Lynall

Im wondering if my Passat TDi is chipped having read previous comments. It to went like the clappers and got superb economy but smoked when i floored it. Its been sat since May when i got my SLK. Must get the battery charger out sometime. Best truck i ever owned.

Alan

check your intercooler pipe, it might have cut in it.taking in hot air and causing it to burn diesel.

I put a bottle of Cataclean in with the diesel and am down to 1/4 of a tank and its still smoking!

I have bought another diesel treatment but am waiting until I have filled up again and run the tank down again as I don't want to mix the treatments..

will keep you posted

I clean the egr valve recently and it is smoking a lot less, also my mpg gone up,it is a easy job, 3 star screws and a spring and it will come off, i use brake cleaner and gunk to clean mine.

I put a bottle of Cataclean in with the diesel and am down to 1/4 of a tank and its still smoking!

I have bought another diesel treatment but am waiting until I have filled up again and run the tank down again as I don't want to mix the treatments..

will keep you posted

Ohh down to 1/4 tank erm, according to the instructions the ratio is 15lts to 500ml bottle treatment. Not full tank of diesel.

You've diluted the treatment far to much mate.

Ohh down to 1/4 tank erm, according to the instructions the ratio is 15lts to 500ml bottle treatment. Not full tank of diesel.

You've diluted the treatment far to much mate.

I followed the instructions on the bottle

I run the tank down till the light came on, put in the cataclean, run the ML for about 15miles then filled up....

That aside it still didnt work :0(

I noticed that Halfords sell a diesel treatment to stop black smoke so might try that next, Think I will give it a couple of weeks for the cataclean to work its way out the tank first thou

Last edited:
Use Millers DSP4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom