ML500 and ULEZ exemption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nat - only someone as idiotic as me would be looking to buy my 3rd ML63 AMG (say 2007-2010) once the ML500 is sold. It was a maddening experience with the last ML63, but only doing 1900 miles in 11 months. Real issue is I didn't fully appreciate it until I swapped for the ML500. [I think there have been love songs composed on this theme.]

Upfront price for the ML63 is (for now) only £2-4,000 more than the ML500, but all other fixed costs are much the same (insurance/VED/parking etc). And I only average 13mpg in the ML500, a smidgen worse than the ML63. (Although I did manage to get 4-6mpg in mine for several months.)

What I haven't mentioned and am avoiding are the horrendous servicing/maintenance costs with the AMG. Still haven't recovered from the MB quote of £2,700 for the front disks and pads. Yup, I know but there weren't any alternatives to the 390mm disks at the time.
Buy an ML63 with the disks and hydraulic lifters recently replaced and you’ll be in good position.

I just received a quote from Mercedes-Benz of Birmingham for the next service on mine and it’s £250. Bargain!

Tempted to part with mine. Sad to see it go but I’ve barely used this year so maybe I have to make the difficult decision. ☹️

I'm not sure if @Bobby Dazzler is still willing to sell his, but if so, your search for a ML63 could be a short and easy journey.

I purchased mine in its limited pool of availability, you could say it was the best of the not so amazing pool of ML63s out there and available to me in 2018... and its cost me a fair chunk of money and time to put right.

In hindsight I do kick myself a bit for not coming onto the forums and purchasing a well looked after example. It was also short sighted of me to not research the weak points and or flaws of the W164 (rear light seals anyone?) but then I've refreshed almost everything that could fail due to the test of time and my ML63 is the first car I've owned for over 2 years, (25+ cars over the last 13 years) the ML is the only one that no matter what I can't fall out of love with.

If it's not obvious I'm damn biased and adore my ML.
For whatever reason, whenever i parked my ML63 I would always glance back at it and loved the way it looked (but only the black ones have this effect I think)
Perhaps what we often forget as being the importance of its "street presence".
Where I live the Porsche 911 definitely doesn't have it (mainly driven by elderly from out of town) but the MB S600/S63 make themselves felt.
Sadly, the Jaguar XK is for those who can't afford an Aston Martin

For whatever reason, whenever i parked my ML63 I would always glance back at it and loved the way it looked (but only the black ones have this effect I think)
Perhaps what we often forget as being the importance of its "street presence".
Where I live the Porsche 911 definitely doesn't have it (mainly driven by elderly from out of town) but the MB S600/S63 make themselves felt.
Sadly, the Jaguar XK is for those who can't afford an Aston Martin
The W164 ML 63 AMG definitely has more presence than the W166 ML 63 AMG. The contours of the bodywork exaggerate the widened track - the compound effect of a bubble arch and a wheel arch extension, and the reflections they create do it.

I agree, black ones have more presence.

No real idea if helpful or of interest, but I was monitoring my ML500 prices in Europe as well as UK. (Lots of London buyers rely on car to return trips to home county - my buyers will be heading to Poland in New Year.)
Prices for LHD are even madder than UK, but wonder if will impact certain SUV models?
I can only assume the FInns are feeling flush

73,321​
2006​
£12,470​
Italy​
65,865​
2006​
£27,650​
Finland​
56,000​
2006​
£17,800​
Germany​
55,725​
2006​
£18,700​
Germany​
62,000​
2007​
£16,925​
Germany​
45,360​
2007​
£17,725​
Germany​
I've only just caught up with this thread. Congratulations on your easy sale !!

I haven't looked at European prices "for a while," but European prices usd to be MUCH higher for top quality used cars than in the UK.

From memory our peculiar fondness for expensive company cars results more high end vehicles being available for sale used than people want to buy, so prices achieved are lower.

In Germany the regulatory environment for used vehicles is "painful" to say the least, and that pushes up the costs for dealers and their used car sales: they're perfectionists.

In general, LHD "can" have a far longer life than UK cars, once wealthy West Europeans get bored with them, East Europeans snap them up and the vehicles gradually move east. I say "can" because that's always assuming that they don't get written off earlier: they live lively lives over longer distances than most British cars.

Last edited:
I've been (idly now, tbh; I rather think I'll keep the E500, but never say never...) watching prices for W164 ML500s on eBay, looking for the right one. It looks though the bubble has burst for M113-engined examples.

Unpopular (possibly) opinion, I went to see a black one, and I felt the lines don't pop as it's just one big dark blob. To me, I felt it looked like a tall E class or something, I feel the silver really helps bring out the lines in the body. Although this is all subjective I suppose.

The W164 ML 63 AMG definitely has more presence than the W166 ML 63 AMG. The contours of the bodywork exaggerate the widened track - the compound effect of a bubble arch and a wheel arch extension, and the reflections they create do it.

I agree, black ones have more presence.
Tut tut Mr. Dazzler, you've let the silver ML63 crew down 😔 hope you and the family are well mate.

Tut tut Mr. Dazzler, you've let the silver ML63 crew down 😔 hope you and the family are well mate.
😁

I personally prefer silver on the W164 too - mostly for the reason you mentioned, I feel it shows the contours off more - but the black does look meaner.

😁

I personally prefer silver on the W164 too - mostly for the reason you mentioned, I feel it shows the contours off more - but the black does look meaner.
full

full

Reactions: Nat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom