• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mobile speed cameras not just checking speed!

This is not my recollection. At the time (late nineties, I think), the introduction of legislation mandating the use of a hands-free kit when making a call while driving, was focused on the physical aspect, but also mentioned that only essential telephone calls should be made, and the calls should be kept brief. The legislation discouraged chatting on the phone while driving (even if this wasn't made a specific offence).
I don’t recall any legislation mandating keeping hands-free calls brief. Presentation/publication of legislation would have highlighted the need to keep calls brief, but I doubt it could have been made law. Not because it doesn’t matter, but because it would be impossible to enforce.

And that’s why it’s not illegal to use hands-free. Many studies have proved that chatting on a hands-free phone has a negative impact on a driver’s ability, but there’s no way to prevent it through legislation. Therein lies the problem: because it’s deemed to be legal most people think it’s safe. IT’S NOT SAFE.

For many years now, legislation that’s in place to protect us has been promoted as a risk of prosecution. So what we have is people merely concerned with avoiding fines and points, and looking for ways to get around them by whatever means possible other that simply complying with the full sense of the law.

I have absolutely no idea what the fines and points are for speeding or using a phone while driving. Those penalties mean far less to me than anybody’s life. Instead of reminding us of the financial and possible inconvenience implications of getting caught contravening motoring laws, we need to be reminded of the possibilities of the physical and mental suffering that could result from ignoring them.

Mr S has an iPhone provided by her employer for solely business use. Company policy is that phones must not be used in any form whilst driving and to that end the Bluetooth on the phone is disabled before issue.
They monitor usage and take disciplinary action for transgressions.

Company policy is that phones must not be used in any form whilst driving and to that end the Bluetooth on the phone is disabled before issue.
They monitor usage and take disciplinary action for transgressions.

I mentioned before that this was a global policy where I worked ... don't know if they went as far as disabling BT on company supplied handsets though. There was some resistance in the US where even hand-held use while driving was common, socially acceptable and legal (in many states) at the time.

Note the legal advice below:

"FAQ's

Q1: Can I use my mobile phone while driving if it is hands-free?

Yes, a hands-free device, such as a Bluetooth headset or a car's built-in system, is permitted in the UK. However, it is crucial to remember that even with hands-free technology; driver attention should remain focused on the road. Keeping conversations brief and avoiding activities that may distract or impair driving abilities is advisable."

Again, while the legislation does note impose any specific time limit on hands-free telephone conversations while driving, if the phone records show that the driver was engaged in a lengthy conversation then this could work against them in the event of a crash. I.e., the argument that 'no laws were broken' will likely not constitute a strong defence against a charge of 'driving without due care and attention'.

In short, anyone engaging in a lengthy telephone conversation while driving, should be aware that, while technically not illegal, it might still work against them in the event of a crash.

Last edited:
Note the legal advice below:

"FAQ's

Q1: Can I use my mobile phone while driving if it is hands-free?

Yes, a hands-free device, such as a Bluetooth headset or a car's built-in system, is permitted in the UK. However, it is crucial to remember that even with hands-free technology; driver attention should remain focused on the road. Keeping conversations brief and avoiding activities that may distract or impair driving abilities is advisable."

Again, while the legislation does note impose any specific time limit on hands-free telephone conversations while driving, if the phone records show that the driver was engaged in a lengthy conversation then this could work against them in the event of a crash. I.e., the argument that 'no law was broken' will likely not constitute a strong defence.
I’m sorry, but I don’t give a toss what the law is - just don’t do it. In the same way that there has been talk recently about how most accidents occur within a short distance of home, the distraction of a phone conversation can and usually does happen within the first few seconds.

the distraction of a phone conversation can and usually does happen within the first few seconds.
The above
I have seen it happen several times over the years in supermarkets and other car parks, as I sometimes wait in the car: a woman reversing out using a hand-held mobile phone crashes into another car reversing out. The other car stops as it realises what is happening, but the woman on the phone does not.
Another woman reversed off a relatively long drive using their mobile and crashed into someone's car who we knew.
Seen a van driver a man do what the woman did in the first sentence of this post.

An accident takes a split-second. When we lived in another town, I must have been 10ish - I was watching the guys play tennis on the courts in front of our home from my bedroom window and next door went to do a 3 point turn and did not see the approaching car that went into the side of him - it was one of that very long bonnet, last model Ford Zephurs. (our road was rarely used by others that did not live there, so I guess the neigbour was complacent - his car was the old Vauxhall Victor, with those little wings on the back - thankfully no one was hurt.

TBH, just looking down on the a/c and or fan buttons takes at least 2 seconds, and at 30mph in a built up area, those 2 secs make the difference between an accident or no accident. I often get Mrs M to change the speed of the fan etc and tun on/off the climate control so I can keep my eyes on the road,

EDIT - Taking an important call whilst driving and trying to concentrate on that hands free call IMO, for me anyway does negatively impact my driving - therefore I pull over if I can dod this safely or just tell them to call me back or I will - often I ignore unless from our children or expecting an important call

TBH, just looking down on the a/c and or fan buttons takes at least 2 seconds, and at 30mph in a built up area, those 2 secs make the difference between an accident or no accident. I often get Mrs M to change the speed of the fan etc and tun on/off the climate control so I can keep my eyes on the road,
I’ve hardly ever touched the climate control on my car. I leave it set at the temperature I want and let it automatically change the fan speed to maintain that temperature. The only time I touch the controls is to switch on/off the rear window heater or front screen demister. But even the latter is hardly ever needed because I leave the air con on all the time.

I’ve hardly ever touched the climate control on my car. I leave it set at the temperature I want and let it automatically change the fan speed to maintain that temperature. The only time I touch the controls is to switch on/off the rear window heater or front screen demister. But even the latter is hardly ever needed because I leave the air con on all the time.
My children, all adults close to 40's and one over tell me off for not keeping the climate control on - I guess I just watch the pennies, lol but more habit I guess - on hotter days windows left open as well as boot to cool car but aircon set at lowest so when we are driving gets too cold, so its on off plus I can feel the lag with the climate control on, car feels diffenrt plus saving fuel - I'm long sighted so wear glasses for driving and have the big digitals showing car speed - but me looking down to button inc the rarely used rear screen, sight makes it a it more difficult - I tried bifocals but could not get on with them

The satnav - it can't understand my voice commands so my co-pilot, Mrs M adjusts if required but adjusting the - screen area covered by map is easy via big nob as is turning up/down temps

I believe I'm very safety conscious and do not drive away until all windows are good as clear of mist, rain, snow, not just the front like many do.

Though I watch my pennies, I do start the car a good 10 minutes in winter to warm the car interior up inc seat heaters - we live at the top of the close, wide road and only taxi/deliver and guests/residents up this way but i/we keep a close eye on the car

My children, all adults close to 40's and one over tell me off for not keeping the climate control on - I guess I just watch the pennies, lol but more habit I guess - on hotter days windows left open as well as boot to cool car but aircon set at lowest so when we are driving gets too cold, so its on off plus I can feel the lag with the climate control on, car feels diffenrt plus saving fuel - I'm long sighted so wear glasses for driving and have the big digitals showing car speed - but me looking down to button inc the rarely used rear screen, sight makes it a it more difficult - I tried bifocals but could not get on with them

The satnav - it can't understand my voice commands so my co-pilot, Mrs M adjusts if required but adjusting the - screen area covered by map is easy via big nob as is turning up/down temps

I believe I'm very safety conscious and do not drive away until all windows are good as clear of mist, rain, snow, not just the front like many do.

Though I watch my pennies, I do start the car a good 10 minutes in winter to warm the car interior up inc seat heaters - we live at the top of the close, wide road and only taxi/deliver and guests/residents up this way but i/we keep a close eye on the car
Listen to your kids. Keep the air con on. Unless you have a very small engine (<1000cc) the difference in energy consumption with modern cars (<15 years old) is negligible whether on or off. The overall costs could be even higher when turning it off because there’s far more chance of something going wrong if it’s not used. Repairs can be expensive, even regassing.

I’m fortunate in that I have a garage to keep my car in, so it doesn’t even get that cold in winter here in Cambridgeshire. I just start up, back out, shut the garage door and go. No misting up because the air con keeps it clear.

As an aside some of the controls on older cars were an ergonomic nightmare - I remember the headlight switch on my Viva HC being below the speedometer, in the instrument cluster.

The rear wash/wipe and HRW switches on our Vito are on the dashboard, at the far end of a bank of similar rockers (circled below). They're impossible to operate without looking.

Capture.JPG

Listen to your kids. Keep the air con on. Unless you have a very small engine (<1000cc) the difference in energy consumption with modern cars (<15 years old) is negligible whether on or off. The overall costs could be even higher when turning it off because there’s far more chance of something going wrong if it’s not used. Repairs can be expensive, even regassing.

I’m fortunate in that I have a garage to keep my car in, so it doesn’t even get that cold in winter here in Cambridgeshire. I just start up, back out, shut the garage door and go. No misting up because the air con keeps it clear.
On my old ALFA you could not turn the AC off....at least without turning the whole HVAC unit off. If you did turn just the AC compressor off the car would automatically turn it back on again if the car gets too hot or it sees condensation forming on the screen.....so I gave up trying!

Thanks. We have a garge but the gle is a very tight fit in there so I don't bother, nor did I with the small Mercs we had before, both C classes
My car is about 8.5 yrs old had from brand new and I am aware re air con gases but all ok -

I think I'm very sensitive to changes in the car, anything for that matter. Re car/s, I often picked wheel bearing noise before the mechanics could ID on my addi about 30 yrs ago and a droplinks on a c class well before it needed doing. Having said that I always fill my car up, to the max for just under a quarter of tank, takes 99 litres - I can feel the car labour under normal driving as I often drive very gently and not trash the car unless I o go for a run to keep the dpf in shape.

we live in London, about 1/4 mile from the river - not normally that cold here but I feel the cold and the heat, so in winter, I almost always warm the car up before going out and in the summer, open the window boot and then a few mins before we get into the car, I turn the aircon on

this car, it the longest term I've ever kept a car and now the oldest car I've ever owned but at 23k miles and FSH by MB, it sill looks good - its a 250d auick and able enough but I am considering getting a brand new gle but at over 80k, waste of good money as we've not worked for years, so may
get one that is about a year old or to 18 months - if my health had not been a concern, I would have changed 2 years ago

I am aware some makes of car allow for them to be heated and or cooled via remote and remain locked - I guess I could lock the car with the other key as it runs. A bungalow we rent out we bought for retirement has a bigger garage and if/when we move there, I think I will park the car in the garage as its much bigger, the garage not the house, :) - All in all, I am a bit lazy like that.

When driving on my own I turn my mobile telephone off. However , I find all the other toys on my car far more distracting particularly the DAB radio that cannot lock onto a radio station.

As an aside some of the controls on older cars were an ergonomic nightmare - I remember the headlight switch on my Viva HC being below the speedometer, in the instrument cluster.

The rear wash/wipe and HRW switches on our Vito are on the dashboard, at the far end of a bank of similar rockers (circled below). They're impossible to operate without looking.

View attachment 162785

Most of those switches are probably individual units clipped into a frame so the positions could be swapped around. When I had a Scania truck I swapped some of the switch positions to be more convienent and to me more logical.

Most of those switches are probably individual units clipped into a frame so the positions could be swapped around. When I had a Scania truck I swapped some of the switch positions to be more convienent and to me more logical.

Not sure how much 'wiggle room' there would be on the loom, but it might be possible. I don't know what possessed them to put something that's regularly used like the rear wash/wipe further away from the driver than the ASR or Parktronic switches (for example) ... neither of which I have ever used!

Not sure how much 'wiggle room' there would be on the loom, but it might be possible. I don't know what possessed them to put something that's regularly used like the rear wash/wipe further away from the driver than the ASR or Parktronic switches (for example) ... neither of which I have ever used!
Switch positions are probably determined for left hand drive cars, where they’re more logically placed.

Switch positions are probably determined for left hand drive cars, where they’re more logically placed.

I have this issue with my IONIQ 5, the touchscreen display at the centre of the dashboard has all the menu icons on the left side of the wide-screen display, making it difficult for the driver to reach them in a RHD car.

other than access to switches and on my car they are ok/good, its my sight that makes it a slightly bigger problem as per my previous post re glasses, the switches are of good size and temp knobs and sat nav knobs good, easy access. I find the massive front pillars a big problem when turning out into roads and especially rounabouts eg, so many drivers drive a lot faster than the 30mph limit and take roundabouts at speed and don't indicate - the blind spot is big as it can at a certain distance blank out smaller cars and those idiots on ebikes/scooters and add to the woes those that don't indicate etc..

The other day a man aged probably about 50+ was riding out of a side road on a bend to my left into a one-way road that is relatively wide as I negotiated the bend at 20mph in the 20 zone, the next time I saw him he was heading my way, ie wrong way - he panicked/wobbled and I quickly moved my car to the right - he must have approached the junction close to 20mph - I then saw him hit the kerb but he remained upright and carried
on the wrong way up the road. The wider pillars do not help. Thought the inbred was at fault, he would have damaged my car if he had hit me and caused me problems. Incredibly, a few mins up the road, I saw the same inbred ride past me at the red lights at a pedestrian crossing, he just road through the red lights.

It's possibly a factor, but the heated seat switch (which does get used a fair bit) would be furthest from the driver in LHD!

I have this issue with my IONIQ 5, the touchscreen display at the centre of the dashboard has all the menu icons on the left side of the wide-screen display, making it difficult for the driver to reach them in a RHD car.

That's crazy - you'd think they'd include an option to display them on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom