• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

MPG not what I was told! E Class estate SE 2016

The question is whether the OP told the salesman that he'd be travelling at 60 - 80 mph when being desirous of achieving 61 - 68 mpg. I'll bet 68 mpg is achievable by a more considerate driver.

My 2014 E220 Estate AMG Sport averages 51mpg on regular trips from Staffordshire to Anglesey at speeds of between 55/70mph. Around town average 37/39mpg - for a large heavy vehicle I am quite happy with this.

61 - 68 is stated in the brochure...what should the salesman have said?

I had a 67 plate E200 diesel saloon on loan a week ago.I did a 54 mile round trip including dual carriageway (average speed 65mph) about 6 or 7 miles country lanes and a few miles urban. Onboard computer read around 57 to 58 mpg

I know it’s a disappointment, but when did anyone to do with selling a car ever tell the truth?

My 535d should get 50mpg average according to BMW, our Discovery 4 35mpg according to Land Rover.

The BMW won’t do more than 37mpg, and interestingly the Land Rover will do 35mpg if driven with great care.

To be honest I’d be happy with anything above 40mpg on a large 4 cylinder diesel, I can’t pinpoint when we all thought that physics changed and we all deserved 50mpg when ragging along at 80!

Person buys car

Person views average mpg after only one journey in their ownership

Person complains about it, moans to the dealer

Oh dear! Google tells me I can average 21mpg in mine. I get 14, haven’t slept in weeks...

I doubt that you will get anywhere with your complaint by saying you were travelling over 70mph

Driving style and external factors such as tyre pressure, tread depth, electrical loading and weather play a huge part in your mpg.

Enjoy the car and drive it often. Then you will know how to get the best from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
Few questions....
- We're you driving in Eco??
- similar driving conditions, topology etc?
- extra passengers?
- is the aircon/climate on?
- new car isn't a 4matic?

My C250d ok remapped but I get just under 50mpg cruising upto 80mph through to Edinburgh..... But its averaging since we got it 34mpg as we do loads of short fast journeys.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

I think the question here is whether the dealer mislead Lorri66.

I'm not surprised that a heavier larger car does less - but *if* the dealer had told me it would be better (and no doubt stated new more efficient engine etc) then I would be mighty peed off if that was not true - especially as this was clearly part of Lorri66's buying decision.

I think your recourse is with the dealer. Calculate the lost ££ based on current fuel prices and 52mpg vs 48mpg (i.e better that the C class which is what he promised), 4 years of driving (you changed your last car when it was 6.5 years and the new is ~2 already, I don't know if you owned the C class from new) and your average mileage and tell the dealer's sales manager to re-imburse you the difference or you will return the car ..

My quick calculation says that's 60 odd gallons at 10k miles per annum, so a few hundred quid ...

Cheers
Richard
Doesn’t that say it all - a difference of 4mpg for 10k / year costs an additional £ 100 or £ 2 / week. Considering the cost of the car can vary £ ‘000’s across dealers and px’s will differ significantly, the right deal could buy decades of 4mpg differences !
Would the OP have bought the car if the salesman had said he didn’t the know the real life mpg ?

Bigger car, same engine.

Buyers remorse ?

no I didnt, but never did on my other car.

48mpg just seems too low for this car ands its claims of 61-68mpg. Like I said I wasn't expecting to get 68mpg by any means but was hoping for at least 58 ish.

Have just spoken to Mercedes customer services who say it should be 65 combined but they are their perfect garage testing conditions so 48 is pants.
Could be “new car syndrome” - you might be (subconsciously) driving it that bit harder.

I know that what the books state you should always lessen for mpg but I was expecting to get at least 55mpg on this type of journey in comfort mode if not more. am I being unrealistic and has salesman not been truthful? thank you

Not a hope in hell of getting 55+mpg on a 60-80 mph trip home. Fuelly, the main mpg logging website, expects a 220d to deliver early 40's mpg, based on six different drivers for a 2017 model 220d.

And a quick glance at 220d's from other years shows similar numbers.

Here's their data:
2017 Mercedes-Benz E220D MPG - Actual MPG from 6 2017 Mercedes-Benz E220D owners

"60 mpg: you'll be needing a much smaller, and lighter car, sir. A 2017 Prius will give you early 60's mpg, sir"
2017 Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 190 2017 Toyota Prius owners

I get 55mpg regularly on my E320CDi 3.2L IL6 estate on motorway drives.

This is with the cruise control set to 70mph though.

I rang Mercedes direct, my car is newer shape and newer engine model, she quoted 67.26 for combined journey. 48mpg is not right and I am not being unrealistic in my expectations especially when I got more out of older c class.
Spoke to the dealership and the head of customer service looked into it by asking the service team there. Apparently 48mpg sounds too low for 120 mile trip mostly motorway and I'm not being unrealistic in expecting around 55 -60.
Car is going to be checked, she said something about software and other stuff but we will see. Booked for end of November.

Got just about 52 yesterday on an hours trip, again mainly motorway and dual carriageway and I kept to 70. In fact on the motorway I just got to about 48mpg after 40 mins and it only increased once coming off and doing much slower speeds towards home on normal roads. This combined journey surely should give more than that. Good driving conditions.

Richard, yes I do feel mislead, these cars boast about fuel economy and thats a factor when lots of people upgrade. Apart from this I really like the car.

How many miles do you drive a year?

I DON'T EXPECT TO GET 67!! but do expect more than 48. Motorway journeys are always less if doing 80 constantly but I wasn't, same driving conditions going as coming home.

This is supposed to be a more fuel economical engine, thats what the newer cars are about. the Mercedes sales rep said I would get more without any hesitation, he said the ones he's driven he's got at least 60mpg on motorways and was surprised I didnt.

Was in comfort mode, a/c yes but not high (same as driving old car) same passengers, but we ate lunch so I guess thats it!! No its not 4matic. Its had 4 new tyres fitted by Mercedes and service before I took the car.

I don't think it matters how many miles I do a year, but I do under 10k. It matters how much I fuel I use each time I go out, around the village or town I'm not expecting to get a proper mpg as journeys are much shorter.

I'll leave this now as some of you are helpful and some are just a bit mean and sarcastic, which I don't think is called for when I asked a genuine question and help for my new car.

I hope you get it sorted :)

I DON'T EXPECT TO GET 67!! but do expect more than 48. Motorway journeys are always less if doing 80 constantly but I wasn't, same driving conditions going as coming home.

This is supposed to be a more fuel economical engine, thats what the newer cars are about. the Mercedes sales rep said I would get more without any hesitation, he said the ones he's driven he's got at least 60mpg on motorways and was surprised I didnt.

Was in comfort mode, a/c yes but not high (same as driving old car) same passengers, but we ate lunch so I guess thats it!! No its not 4matic. Its had 4 new tyres fitted by Mercedes and service before I took the car.

I don't think it matters how many miles I do a year, but I do under 10k. It matters how much I fuel I use each time I go out, around the village or town I'm not expecting to get a proper mpg as journeys are much shorter.

I'll leave this now as some of you are helpful and some are just a bit mean and sarcastic, which I don't think is called for when I asked a genuine question and help for my new car.

No one has been mean or sarcastic, they may have been blunt in pointing out a few facts you seem keen to not take on board.

You have said that you were driving at 60-80mph in one post, changing speed and driving at 80mph will never produce the published figures. Your new car is significantly larger than the previous car, it takes more energy to accelerate that greater mass.

The weather has been cold, diesels do not produce their best performance in cold weather, also figures quoted by MB are averages.

You have owned the car less than a week, you cannot really comment on fuel usage until you have had several re-fills and calculate this on a tank to tank basis

The overall annual fuel cost between what you are getting in this car to what you seemed happy with in the previous caris so small overall in terms of the running costs.

To be honest instead of being that headache customer that dealers hate, sign up to Fuelly and monitor it after a full week

You aren’t going to get an average in such a short time

Driver200 in disguise?

+1 ^^^^^^ Sign up to Fuelly, and track your actual usage against all the other E220's on there.

The other cars on there are all early 40's actual mpg. See how you do.

Here's the link: Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom