Multiple errors on car dash, refusing to let me go into gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went and bought a front battery from Halfords and fitted in myself, worked fine for a day but after a cold night, the problem is back :(

many advice

It seems that your issue is either with the battery charging system (alternator etc), or with a rogue consumer that drains the battery overnight.

As Markjay says this type of fault is usually down to a parasitic drain on the battery which remains after the ignition is switched off. Modern Mercedes are full of ECUs/control units not just engine ones --- on ignition switch off they should all go thro a controlled powerdown routine but if they develop a fault they may not shut down and continue to draw current.
You may have a wiring fault- favourite sources of these on slightly older cars may be where wiring is subjected to physical stress/movement --- electrical components in doors and door hinge wiring --and electrically adjusted /heated seats are favourite sources of problems. [ and in the case of cabriolets the roof mechanism]
Another source is damp ingress from worn seals/blocked drains to vital electrical control centres or SAMS so worth checking those.
The top contender remains the alternator- either its not charging correctly- faulty regulator or worn brushes- or it may have a faulty rectifier diode which allows the battery to discharge on ignition switch off.
Time for a visit to a good auto electrician for a diagnosis before throwing more money at the problem.
ps replacing the battery was not entirely "wasted" you now have a new battery after all is said and done.

So I went to multiple mechanics and electro mechanics - none have been helpful except asking about £100 just to diagnose problem with no guarantee that they will diagnose it.
The car still works fine after 15-20 mins of turning it on etc and all error codes are gone

On the diagnostic tool, I am getting:
1) TCM - Transmission Control Module [No CAN data was received from control module N47-5(ESP and BAS control module)(171/203/209) or from control module N47-5(ESP control module) and this code is repeated a few times saying no CAN data received from control module A 80 (inteliligent servo module for DIRECT SELECT) or from control module N15/5 (electronic Selector level module (ESM [EWM])

2) Xenon Headlamp Left [XALWA_L)

3) Xenon Headlamp Right (XALWA_R) - state of terminal 56b unreasonable

I have tried clearing the fault codes - but they come back (even when the car is functioning, the fault codes are present)

Anyone advice?

I called Mercedes who also said £200 and they will diagnose the problems.

The post 2006 facelift E Class reverted to a single battery.
The best test of a battery is a load test which can be done at Halfords or any local battery supplier.
Your battery will state a CCA (cold cranking amps) on the casing and a load test will reveal whether your battery reaches this figure.
If its too low, it will indicate the battery is failing despite it being fully charged.

Do this with both batteries but don't be pressurised into buying any new ones from Halfords.
Main dealer, Tayna or ECP will beat Halfords price.

As above

I also checked the electrical voltage of the battery from Halfords (before I put it in, it said 99% power etc) now it says 66% in the front

I also checked the battery in the boot, it says 2% 13V etc

However, when the car turns on, the ECO late turns on as normal and the engine will start/stop as normal

So a year later, problem is back. Same story. Had the battery replaced last year. This is the third/fourth year of the problem now, I can’t see any leakage in car. For some reason more common in winter than any other time of the year. It does happen in summer but less frequent. Anyone advise where to start ?

So a year later, problem is back. Same story. Had the battery replaced last year. This is the third/fourth year of the problem now, I can’t see any leakage in car. For some reason more common in winter than any other time of the year. It does happen in summer but less frequent. Anyone advise where to start ?

I'm having these exact issues with my e350 17 reg. Changed the battery and now this fault is come and go. Pi55£n me off now. Had the car 4 months . Not even 13000 miles on it. I think mine is wheel speed sensor or abs module losing touch with one another . Broken wire or corrosion . I'm trying to find a good indy thats had experience with this issue. I use icarsoft mb2 in obd2 mode to clear abs faults , then the merc section to try and clear the rest. Last night the car sorted itself out after 2 mins drive. But that same day it was in limp mode all the day ...

I'm having these exact issues with my e350 17 reg. Changed the battery and now this fault is come and go. Pi55£n me off now. Had the car 4 months . Not even 13000 miles on it. I think mine is wheel speed sensor or abs module losing touch with one another . Broken wire or corrosion . I'm trying to find a good indy thats had experience with this issue. I use icarsoft mb2 in obd2 mode to clear abs faults , then the merc section to try and clear the rest. Last night the car sorted itself out after 2 mins drive. But that same day it was in limp mode all the day ...

I replaced battery and resolved for few days and then came back. I’ve had problem for 3-4 years, comes and goes and doesn’t repair. I have checked online and many people have replaced prefuse box, Mercedes will do it for about £400, not sure if I should or not

I replaced battery and resolved for few days and then came back. I’ve had problem for 3-4 years, comes and goes and doesn’t repair. I have checked online and many people have replaced prefuse box, Mercedes will do it for about £400, not sure if I should or not

Have you noticed moisture in the headlights when it's at its worst. I ask because somewhere in this mad daisy chain , the headlights always come into it. I washed my car when this crap started and today its been dry the car ran seemless both ways to work n back.

Have you noticed moisture in the headlights when it's at its worst. I ask because somewhere in this mad daisy chain , the headlights always come into it. I washed my car when this crap started and today its been dry the car ran seemless both ways to work n back.
Nope
None ever

I'm beginning to think my problems are from pressure washing the car and wheels. ???

Nope
None ever

have you had the brake light switch changed at all. since fitting my new battery im now getting only a few error codes now, all 4 wheel speed sensors , a brake light switch malfunction . i ve also read that the brake light switch is also responsible for talking to the abs unit , what im finding is communication is lost ever so slightly which in turn flags all these errors , the parts themselves will most likely be good.

Hi. Did you manage to get this issue sorted. My e350 is still playing up.

Hi all,
In my 2012 E class Cabriolet, I have been having a problem which was wondering if anyone could help with

When I put the key in, the engine starts fine but I get lots of errors on the dashboard
- Restraint Sys. malfunction consult workshop
- Cruise Control and SPEEDTRONIC inoperative
- Parking Guidance inoperative
- inoperative ABS/Traction see owners manual
- Front Left airbag malfunction, consult workshop
- Front right airbag malfunction, consult workshop
- PRE-SAFE inoperative See Owners Manual
- Active bonnet malfunction, See Owners Manual
- Run Flat indicator inoperative

My car was driving perfectly fine and has been, previously had a similar issue about a year ago, I would put the key in and turn the engine off 1/2 times and then it would just go back and drive perfectly fine. I had the car serviced and the problem went away. However, this time the problem isn't going away and I can't see what's wrong.

About 2 weeks ago, it said Engine Coolant low - but surely that can't be causing all of this? I can see there is still plenty of coolant left, its low but enough.

The car starts up fine, the fan comes on but the car won't let me change from Parking gear. It also doesn't let me turn on the computer function in the car etc.

Any advice? Doing my head in as I can't even take it to the mechanic as it won't let me drive.
I had something similar and was emailed by the club a month or so ago as one of the members had same sort of trouble as I had a couple of years ago. when I turned on the engine the fan roared flat out and I cdnt get into gear and the dash was full of error messages. I have an E220 C207 Coupe 2012. I had to lift up the leather at the rear of the auto gear stick and press down on the yellow button underneath to get it into gear. It turned out to be a RELAY which is housed under the main battery under the bonnet. You can't just buy the relay you need to pay £200 for a unit which contains it then find someone to fit it for you and all will be well... my car is still running fine.
Before I bought the RELAY, just to keep the cat going, i had to fit an in-line switch to the EARTH for the small battery under the boot floor. Every time I had the problem I just switched it off , counted to ten and turned it back on again and it worked fine.

By the way... I initially bought a new battery (£200) but it didn't solve the problem.

Just came here to add to this. Had the same issue with my 2012 C250 Coupe last week: Multiple errors on the dash:
- Restraint sys. malfunction consult workshop
- Active bonnet malfunction see owner's manual
- PRE-SAFE inoperative see owner's manual
- Run Flat indicator inoperative
- PRE-SAFE functions limited see owners manual
- cruise control and SPPEDTRONIC inoperative
The engine would start but the central display would also not power on, the fans on the engine were at full speed at I could not move the gear lever out of park. It had been driving completely normally that same morning.
I was stuck at the shop so I had to pull off the leather cover around the gear level and use the little yellow button to get it into drive
drove it the short distance home with no power steering and no indicators and the fans going crazy
Got it into my local independent Mercedes garage (East Bristol) who I use regularly and who fixed it free of charge. They told me it was a dodgy cable connection but didn't specify exactly which one. Must have been either shorting across pins, to chassis or simply going open circuit and flagging comms errors in one of the engine modules, causing the vehicle to go into some kind of safe mode.

Hope this helps anyone who gets this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom