• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My 1st service on W203

Uncle Fester

Car
C220 CDi (S203) auto 175k
This weekend I did an oil and filter change, my first time on this car (or any other MB for that matter)
Having never done it before it took me a little longer than normal, as I had to get accuainted with getting the covers off.
The car is quite low to the ground so I needed to jack it up to get under to remove the two bottom covers, to gain access to the sump drain plug (10 screws/bolts in total) although now that I know where they are, this may not be necarsary.

Drained out oil and removed filter cap (special tool required for this, which I didn't have, so I improvised)
I would recommend the purchase of the filter removal tool to make the job easier and I will be sourcing this for the next time.
The oil filter is located at the front, top of the engine, and is very easy to get to.

The hand book stated that the car needs 6.5 litres of oil including filter(although only 5 litres drained out) whereas the Haynes manual stated 7 litres, so I put 6.75 litres in.

I had a couple of other things to sort out (leaking washer bottle and wheel arch liner that got damaged from hitting debris on the motorway) so did them at the same time.
I also checked the brake pads and discs for wear, but they were fine.

The only niggles with servicing this car were getting the engine covers off the top and bottom (obviously the bottom ones are much easier if you have a lift ) but other than that it was as straight forward as any other car really. (except Nissan who put oil filter underneath the inlet manifold!)
Also the oil drain plug reuires only a 13mm socket to remove it, no special tools.

Since changing the oil I have twice had a waring "reduce oil level" on 2 separate journies, but only whilst on the motorway and not a consistant thing, and nothing shows at idle or rving in any other situation.
So I guess the MB handbook was correct at 6.5 litres.

I did notice a "ticking" injector at idle, and have put some "redex" in the tank in the hope that it may help, any advivce would be appreciated.

So all in all I had a productive day, and learned a bit about the car that I drive.

Since changing the oil I have twice had a waring "reduce oil level" on 2 separate journies, but only whilst on the motorway and not a consistant thing, and nothing shows at idle or rving in any other situation.
So I guess the MB handbook was correct at 6.5 litres.

It is 6.5L and the dealers usually put a bit less in to prevent the high oil level warning.

What year is the car? On the late 2004 onwards facelift W203's there's a trick with the cluster display to make it show the exact (always assuming the system is accurate, of course) oil level.

It seems quite a few owners use vacuum oil extractors to save messing about with the underneath covers.

Hi, it's a 2001 (51 plate)

Personally I would prefer to use the drain plug, then I know for sure I've got All the old oil out, it's only about 20-30 mins more work, and it's peace of mind.
So would you recommend draining a litre of oil out again, or leave it and see how it goes?

Hi Rory, mine is a 2003, what is the trick?? Can it be done on mine? I am relying on the cluster to tell me that my oil is 'OK' but would much rather see the amount!

Thanks

I would be minded to leave it unless it keeps coming on.

The drill on my car to see the oil level is:
1) switch ign to pos 1 and select total miles
2) press trip reset button 3 times quickly - it will beep and cluster display changes to an engineering mode
3) Scroll through display (3 pages, I think) and find the one with "oL" (oil in German) and the bottom of the page
4) turn key to pos 2 and in a few seconds it will show oil level.
5) take key out to reset display.

Souns like a palava but you can do it very quickly once you get the knack.

I'll give it a go Rory, thanks!

Thanks Rory!
just checked, and its curerntly sitting at 4.2L... :(
Top-up tomorrow!

How much does a C200K hold? If it was very low then you'd have been getting warnings to top it up.

I would go carefully and add oil a small amount at a time. Who knows of the oil level indicator is accurate? Only time you could really tell (without a dipstick) is to check after the car has been serviced and see what it reads then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom