My amg wheel refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimbo147

Car
C63 AMG
After much searching for replacement wheels I decided to have a go at a refurb myself.
A little searching revealed that most scratches can be removed with sanding so I purchased a Halfords set of wet and dry sandpaper, 240, 600, 800 and 1200 grit for £2.99.
Some of my scratches were quite bad and had been annoying me I purchased the car in June. Starting out with the lowest grit and working towards the finest produced a really good result, a quick squirt with clear lacquer and a coat of colignite wax and I am very happy. I did both near side wheels in about 2hrs and will keep an eye on any rusting but the car is well kept as its a weekend toy so shouldn't be a problem. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-3681788182.jpg
    image-3681788182.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image-407942967.jpg
    image-407942967.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1734408106.jpg
    image-1734408106.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-4036980510.jpg
    image-4036980510.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 117
Good work!

Well done! I might have a go at mine seeing what can be achieved.

Well done, have done this a couple of times myself, a bit cheaper as well. If you **** it up just get them refurbed anyway.

TBH Jimbo, the job looks very mediocre. However worry not, help is at hand! I am prepared to send you my wheels, FOC.......YES FOC, to practice your new found skills upon. Once you have completely refurbed them, I will cover the courier costs to send them back to me! Oh and I will even throw in the £2.99 to cover the cost of your sandpaper.It has been said before that I am all heart, and this again is another show of my generosity and willingness to help out a fellow member! ;)

(PS an absolute outstanding job! Well done bud)

Thanks for all the positive comments. I was thinking that if i screwed them up i could get them refurbed wish i had taken a few more pics during the process. Just make sure you mask off any part of the rim that does not require sanding to protect the clear coat. Just take your time and dont skip more that two grades of wet and dry. Would be happy to show / help anyone but i do live on the Isle if Wight!!!

Jimbo how did you achieve the polish finish is it autosol you use

The finish comes from wet sanding using 1200 grit paper after 240, 600 and 800. Always sanding in the same direction following the shape of the wheel. The wheels are genuine AMG twin 5 spokes. Halfords clear lacquer and colignite 425 wax.

The finish comes from wet sanding using 1200 grit paper after 240, 600 and 800. Always sanding in the same direction following the shape of the wheel. The wheels are genuine AMG twin 5 spokes. Halfords clear lacquer and colignite 425 wax.

Just sanding by hand?

Yes all by hand, its the only way to sand just the curbed parts without removing any of the clear coat on the undamaged parts of the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom