• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My 'cheap' High Mileage W211 E55 AMG Project

91dm

MB Enthusiast
Car
A few
Here’s my new to me, 2003 E55 AMG with 230k miles.

Almost full-service history up to 220k miles, serviced at Mercedes almost every 10k miles for the first 150k miles and by Mercedes independents after. HPI clear and a good MOT history. After a quick inspection and drive, I made a deal for the cheapest E55 I could find. Unfortunately not a very high spec, I wish it had cooled seats!

I thought this might interest people looking for ‘cheap’ AMG’s and what to expect! I will continue to update progress as I go:

Collection day, I thought it was safer and cheaper to collect on a trailer!

A stack of bills and service stamps, the book is completely filled!

Interior is fairly good, clean and doesn't really look like 200k+:

First job I found was water inside the boot. Nothing above the plastic tray seemed wet so I put it down to a bad previous attempt of sealing around the tray. I stripped all back and resealed, hopefully this will keep the water out. While in here I noticed someone had fitted a leisure battery, so swapped this out for a spare battery I had and tidied up the terminal connections. £5 for a tube of sealant.

Second job was a new supercharger bearing. How nobody noticed this I can’t understand? I managed to squeeze in a 24mm socket by taking off the four 10mm bolts on the slam panel. Getting the old bearing out was a bit of a pain as the inner part fell out. All back together and sounds much nicer on idle now! £35 for a new bearing.

I don’t know exactly who was working on the car last but I wouldn’t let them near it again! It had a new air compressor fitted which is good news however I can’t understand how it was left the way it was. One bolt was missing and held up with lots of cable ties. The one bolt was twisting the bracket so it was pushing on the arch liner! I stripped all down, cleaned and found another bolt, all back to together as it should be. I’ve a replacement arch liner on order. £24 for a arch liner.

As I was looking around the car I noticed the back seat didn’t clip in, taking this off revealed another disaster of workmanship. The plastic ring to hold the pump down was barely on half a thread, as soon as I touched it flew off splashing petrol around. As they couldn’t get the ring on, the cover wouldn’t fit so they botched this with sealant and left the bolts loose. I cleaned everything off, got the seal in and ring back on without any issues. I was lost for words looking at this as there was nothing wrong! £Free cost

I gave the brakes a clean up all around checking on pads and discs, all ok here but the brake pipes need doing very soon! £Free cost (brake cleaner and copper grease)

The front undertray had a split which I repaired with some cable ties. It turned out stronger than I expected so might leave this depending on the price for a replacement. £1 for cable ties

The rear tyres were down to the limits so got some new Continentals fitted, the front has recently had new Continentals which are like new. £160 each for 265/35/18.

Some new bulbs to highlight the AMG! £1 for bulbs

eBay special removed for cleaner look! £Free cost

A second hand sensor fixed the parking sensors, easy plug in/out fix! £9 cost

Car is pretty much ready for the test on Friday now, fingers crossed for a pass!

Thanks for looking!

Could the boot leak be seals around the rear lights? Or the plastic pop rivets holding in plastic trim over the rear wings where the boot closes?

Another tip, I hold a selection of cheap stunt sockets (cheapest Draper) that I grind down on the face to reduce the height for tight fit spots like that 👍

That AMG Badge was not an ebay special?

Is this confirmation that the M113K mill is bullet proof?
Are there any major costs for it in your history files? Just interested to get clues on what to expect on my 95k miler CLS55.
You've started a great thread.

Could the boot leak be seals around the rear lights? Or the plastic pop rivets holding in plastic trim over the rear wings where the boot closes?

Another tip, I hold a selection of cheap stunt sockets (cheapest Draper) that I grind down on the face to reduce the height for tight fit spots like that 👍

Everything seemed dry on the inside around the lights/carpet so think they're ok.

That AMG Badge was not an ebay special?

I couldn't tell? It feels cheap and had white sticky tape under the middle of the A so assumed it was a copy. I didn't throw it away, think it looks better without.

Is this confirmation that the M113K mill is bullet proof?
Are there any major costs for it in your history files? Just interested to get clues on what to expect on my 95k miler CLS55.
You've started a great thread.

Nothing in the history for engine or gearbox related work, just regular oil changes and one gearbox oil change. I take it that the engine is standard but haven't driven another to compare.

Looks like it’s in remarkably good shape apart from the easily-fixed bodges. I wish I was handier with the spammers to take a few punts on cars which need some love.

Enjoy 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Million dollar question is .....how 'cheap' is cheap?! Prices for all the bits but, unless I missed it, not for the actual car.

Just curious 🙂

Nothing in the history for engine or gearbox related work, just regular oil changes and one gearbox oil change. I take it that the engine is standard but haven't driven another to compare.
In that case it's bullet proof. Can't remember without going to my files but mine has had at least 2 each of atf, rear diff and gearbox lube. These aren't expensive and I think MB schedule them too far apart. My engine is mildly mapped to 502bhp and 770nm torque . + vmax derestrict.

Million dollar question is .....how 'cheap' is cheap?! Prices for all the bits but, unless I missed it, not for the actual car.

Just curious 🙂
It was advertised for £7150 and we agreed £6000.

In that case it's bullet proof. Can't remember without going to my files but mine has had at least 2 each of atf, rear diff and gearbox lube. These aren't expensive and I think MB schedule them too far apart. My engine is mildly mapped to 502bhp and 770nm torque . + vmax derestrict.
I can't see any record for a diff or supercharger service so I have them on the to do list.

Really nice work. Good to know it's so reliable. You're lucky there's no wheel arch rust! How did you trace the parking sensor? I am very tempted to de-badge my cls55 too as i like the clean look but not sure i have the nerve 😅
I've a iCarsoft which actually said front right outer which saved a lot of time! You can go in and read individual sensors etc.

Thanks for comments!

It was advertised for £7150 and we agreed £6000.

I can't see any record for a diff or supercharger service so I have them on the to do list.

I've a iCarsoft which actually said front right outer which saved a lot of time! You can go in and read individual sensors etc.

Thanks for comments!
According to my information there is no service required for the supercharger. I'm going to change the oil on mine. Easy enough job if you take your time. It's hard to get small quantities of the special oil at the right price. Only need 150 mil.

Lovely work! Don’t google about oil pump pick up tube O rings, or you’ll stop sleeping at night…
023-A7765-221-E-446-F-A5-B1-E9-E7-A6059-A8-B.jpg

I did…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom