• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My Name is Phil, and I’m addicted to…

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
…E63’s

Almost two years ago I bought a Biturbo E63. I rationalised it by telling myself that it was an itch that had to be scratched. An act of minor insanity that meant I could, at some time in the dim distant future (I hope!), go to my grave saying “remember when?”, rather than “I wish…”.

And then it hit me. I had lived day to day with the surreal nature of the AMG beast; the incongruous blend of luxury saloon and supercar performance. And I was hooked. Every visit to the filling station was a guilty pleasure: each 75-litre fill of 99RON wasn’t just a financial transaction. It was buying another ticket to the illicit fun fair. Every litre pumped was accompanied with a frisson of excitement: the potential for a relentless shove in the back when the loud pedal is prodded; the ability to make a noise like a WWII fighter 'plane whenever the fancy takes; the conversion of rubber to smoke. The hordes of company car drivers, fixated on CO2 emissions and BIK calculations, looked on with envy. The yoghurt-knitting enviro-mental-ists looked on with ill-disguised distain.

Then the doubts crept in. When the time came, what could replace it with? My head said I should return to the world of the sensible CDI, but I secretly knew that would be an unsatisfying path. A grumbling 40mpg oil-burner, however sensible, just isn’t the same as a 500+ bhp petrol V8. So, as approached my self-imposed two-year ownership limit, it was time for some serious man math’s. With an impending need for a(nother) set of tyres, replacement of front discs and pads – at the eye-watering price associated with AMG’s red calliper PPP composite discs – and rear brake pads too, there were already some serious benefits stacking up in the “get rid” pile. But a replacement was still a difficult prospect. How could I preserve access to the fun without the potential for financial ruin?

The W205 C63 is undoubtedly a fine car and definitely a future candidate but, due to its relative youth, used prices are still very strong. And once the plethora of rental cars start hitting the market when they come off lease in another year or two their value will take a big hit. The CLS is lovely, but at the end of the day it’s still an E-Class in an expensive posh frock. So… we’re back to the E63. The underrated gem of the AMG world.

While my current car is loaded with options, many are of limited worth – as a trade-in offer will confirm. Garage door opener? My garage is full of a motorcycle and a work bench; Carbon-fibre engine cover? Carbon-fibre mirror pods? OK, so they provide bragging rights (and add 1mph to the top speed in the shade), but that’s about it. Rear sunblind? In England? Haha! Illuminated door sills? Qué? So what options are really worthwhile? It boiled down the Driving Assistance Package (Distronic Plus, Active Blind Spot Assist, etc.) and the frankly wonderful Ventilated Dynamic Multi-Contour Seats. So the search started.

And all of the above is a long way of getting to the fact that I pick up next Friday an 11-month old, ex-dem 2015 E63 in Diamond White with Keyless Go, Night Package, Ventilated Dynamic Multi-Contour Seats and Driving Assistance Package. Mileage: 845. Yes, that’s right, under a thousand miles on the clock. It’s a new car :rock:

It’s missing a Reversing Camera (COMAND.co.uk can fix that) and an LSD (Mr. Quaife might come to the rescue on that one), but comes with two years’ servicing thrown in too and more than £30k off its starting price.

Chuffed? You bet :D

Piccies to follow once I collect it – if it ever stops raining :cool:

It's an affliction I know only too well Phil and one I have no intention of trying to cure...

The E-Class AMG is my favourite and I'm very close to buying the same as you but an estate, white with panoramic roof.

There's realistically no alternative I guess. It's either 500+ hp V8 monster or 350cdi. It's a shame there's such a limited model range in the UK but that seems to have been created with our tax and fuel situation and diesels became king. That looks like it's changing.

That's why I think the incoming E43 in 12 months or so is going to fill a huge yawning gap and sell in droves. Which may have the added effect of making E63's a little less common and a bit more special.

Sorry, but I've got the forum's allocation of E63 with Diamond White with Night Pack colour scheme. You'll have to chose another. :mad:

:D excellent choice and an amazing deal! :bannana:

Nice one Phil. I'm not surprised you're going for the same again in the slightest, especially as near as makes no difference to brand new.

I'd probably do the same in your position, I've had mine just over two years now, but with all the bits I've done to it I'll keep it a bit longer now.

Good luck with the deal, and I'm looking forward to seeing it when you pick it up, or pictures of it at the very least. Before you start with the mods... :D

Nice one Phil :thumb:

Looking forward to your views on the prefacelift-facelift

I still miss mines alot even though I got a sore as as I didn't find the seats that comfortable :(

The E-Class AMG is my favourite and I'm very close to buying the same as you but an estate, white with panoramic roof.
My (obviously unbiased :D ) view is that the W/S212 E63 is totally underrated and therefore an absolute bargain.

It doesn't have the kerb appeal of the W204 C63, but instead is a more complete and accomplished car. Yes, it's big, but its road manners are a country mile ahead of the relatively unruly C-Class and its ability to switch between luxury cruiser and ballistic missile is extraordinary. Interior-wise it's a massive step up too. The daft thing is that there are literally 10 times as many W/S204 C63's out there in the UK compared to the E63 yet the C63 has significantly better residuals, and not just in %-age terms: a well-spec'd 2012/13 E63 will make no more money than a basic C63 of the same vintage, and probably less. All the better for people like you and me who appreciate the bigger car :thumb:
There's realistically no alternative I guess. It's either 500+ hp V8 monster or 350cdi. It's a shame there's such a limited model range in the UK but that seems to have been created with our tax and fuel situation and diesels became king.
The UK market, as a result of an arguably misguided tax regime, is heavily stacked against large petrol engines, but with the VW emissions cheating scandal and the current low fuel prices, people (and politicians) are starting to re-evaluate the situation. I think you're right that if MB UK don't bottle it and actually allow us access to the "AMG lite" large capacity petrol cars there will be a ready market.
Sorry, but I've got the forum's allocation of E63 with Diamond White with Night Pack colour scheme. You'll have to chose another. :mad:

:D excellent choice and an amazing deal! :bannana:
Haha! You still have exclusivity with wardrobe carrying potential though Peter :D

I must admit that I'm pretty pleased with the deal too. I know that the W213 is just around the corner but I wouldn't be in the market for a new E63 anyway, so the deal I struck makes sense - in the sense that any AMG purchase decision can be rationalised, anyway ;)

Good work Phil. You know it makes sense.. :D

Cheers,

Gaz

Nice one Phil. I'm not surprised you're going for the same again in the slightest, especially as near as makes no difference to brand new.
Thanks Dave.

I really did think hard about going to a W205 C63S as I was very impressed when I drove one last year, but even my best man-math's couldn't make the numbers work - especially when I know that used prices on them will soften dramatically in a year or so once the first batch start coming off lease.

I plan to keep this one for at least two years but more likely three. Or maybe more, as I look after my cars. I would have liked the "S" model, but there are hardly any about and finding one with my "must have" options of the ventilated dynamic the seats and Driving Assistance Package has proved more difficult than locating a bucket of rocking horse poo. I did find one a couple of weeks back, but the dealer's unwillingness to get to a cost to change number I was happy with plus the fact it had Magno paint which would be a nightmare on a daily driver meant that I gave it a miss.

I'll post up some photo's next weekend, but you'll get to see it in the flesh soon enough :thumb:

What a fantastically entertaining OP Phil. Makes such a change from the normal threads on here. I really enjoy reading about people's passions and obsessions.

I'll never own a car anything like yours but there's not one ounce of jealously from me. Just admiration.

Enjoy it pal. :thumb:

Ant.

Thanks Ant, and never say "never".

I thought I'd never own a Mercedes-Benz, and certainly not an AMG model but sometimes the stars align and it all happens :thumb:

Great car well done.

It's probably in estate form one of the best cars in the world. As a 4matic, it is.
Looking forward to the pics.

I'm not going to be ill again - I'd completely missed this Phil.

I can see an outing to Bicester being the maiden unveiling voyage :thumb:.

Bostin.

What a great read, what a great car, what a deal and what a great find too. Life is for enjoying. Enjoy

Looks like you found yourself a bargain there Phil. Hopefully catch up with you at PCS or MSL later this year for a good look.

Hi Phil.

Like Developer John I missed this thread as well. Thanks for sharing the inner workings of your mind, how many of us wrestle with these same thoughts in our spare time, nicely brought to life.

My current torment is deciding on the new C63S, do I jump in early without seeing one in the flesh, does waiting mean you won't see a car till 2017, will these hold their value for any longer than the saloon? But I hardly use my CLK63 and it's in such good shape that if it went and I regretted it I doubt I would find one like it, maybe I could afford both? I mean with fuel prices where they are currently .....well I could go on.

Maybe we just can't make sense of if and reflecting that we are only this earth once means I should just follow my heart rather than my head

Look forward to seeing the new beast at the PCS event. Enjoy the car.

Greg

Thanks all. After some of the more argumentative threads that seem to have been prevalent just lately I thought I'd try to lighten the mood a bit and provide a hopefully more entertaining post.
Maybe we just can't make sense of if and reflecting that we are only this earth once means I should just follow my heart rather than my head
A good friend of mine who is just a year or two older than me was diagnosed with stage 4 liver, bowel and spinal cancer a couple of weeks before Christmas, which does tend to concentrate one's mind on matters of mortality. I'm not suggesting that all financial prudence be abandoned, but you never know what the future holds.

All being well, we can all meet up either at Charles' Bicester meet, or at Benz on the Green, or both :thumb:

Last edited:
Good luck with the pick up tomorrow. Don't forget to use today wisely in getting the last out of the brake pads and tyres, as you'll be still gently running in the new one tomorrow. ;)

It's a great OP and one which I thoroughly agree with having just picked up my first E63 biturbo at the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom