My new W212 E63 - ex Mercedes press car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You think the 5.5 is thirsty πŸ™„ the 6.2 would drink it under the table, or should we say, fuel station roof πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Smiles for miles is what I say 😁

Love an E AMG πŸ‘

but remains entirely happy burbling around town when necessary

Something I take for granted in my E63, but am reminded how good an all rounder it is when I drive some of my other cars which are awful round town and/or low speed maneuvers.

You think the 5.5 is thirsty πŸ™„ the 6.2 would drink it under the table, or should we say, fuel station roof πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Smiles for miles is what I say 😁

Love an E AMG πŸ‘
Surprised you say that, they’re too close to call in my experience.

Really? It's well documented that the 5.5 will do about 5mpg more for similar usage on a run.
I have driven a few miles in the W164 M156 ML 63 and the W166 M157 ML 63, and both return pretty much the same fuel consumption in the same or similar conditions.

In fact the difference between the two is no more than the variance for the same car on different days or at different times of year, and hence why I said it would be too close to call.

Whilst they are two different generations, they’re very close in many respects - even running the same size wheels and identical Pirelli PZero tyres - the engine being the biggest diffence.

Would the barn door profile and extra drag of a 4wd system prevent any benefit there? My old Toyota Amazon used to return 20mpg pretty much however you drove it.

Wondering whether the 212, being not so encumbered might be able to leverage any efficiency benefits where the MLs cannot

Seems likely as it's the E63 where I've seen plenty of reports of getting mid to high twenties mpg without much difficulty on a run, something the M156 won't do unless you're sat at low speed with nothing corrupting that.

Best I got was 23mpg on the motorway when I bought it never seen that figure again πŸ˜†

Best I got was 23mpg on the motorway when I bought it never seen that figure again πŸ˜†
I managed 29.4mpg from my M157 E63 so maybe they are more economical in the E class compared to the M156.
@350cls What's your best mpg?

I’ve not really taken note of the mpg as just accept it’s unlikely to be great! However, can well believe the M157 may nudge 30 if extreme restraint is used.

My experience of the M156 is consistent with the β€˜hole in the tank’ description (brilliant btw) :)

A few of us from this parish did a trip to Afalterbach and Obersalzberg in 2014. There were a couple of hot 55K cars, a C63 saloon, a C63 coupe and my E63 Biturbo. We were travelling as a group, mainly in convoy, had a few sessions at or close to vmax on the autobahns plus driving more β€œnormally” on the Alpenstrasse.

Everyone was astonished at how little fuel the M157 used compared to the other cars.

I managed 29.4mpg from my M157 E63 so maybe they are more economical in the E class compared to the M156.
@350cls What's your best mpg?

Wouldn't honestly know, never have the cluster on that read out. Dont think I would drive the car if I did πŸ˜‚

I think the m156 can do a decent high teens around town when you behave yourself. 18mpg is easily doable. I call it smiles per inverse gallon since I'm a cheapskate.

the motorway I dont find it liked going above around 22 usually

the m157 gives high 20s on the motorway and that's the difference which is quite significant if you drive a lot on the motorway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom