• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My view on 204 vs 205 C63

The one with the turbo…no thanks!

It was both pre facelift and facelift I had an issue with the back which in all fairness looked like a taxi ,everything else including the interior was nice it just looked a far bigger car on the eye's even though its not on paper ,some very nice options aswell I did enquire about the silver 1 on here but was too late which turned out better for me as i found the car and spec I was after .
I even test drove the golf R but NO comparison there there was no theatr just foot down and go a 10 year old could drive 1 flat out I also drove the M4 typical BMW ,sparce on interior and nowhere near as good as the w204 let alone the 205 🙂
Heard that about Golf R's too. A friend of mine had one for a grand total of 3 days, ended up getting rid of it as he thought the same, dull and too easy to drive. He also found it way less fun than his previous car (current model Fiesta ST).

Black series has entered the chat…
Good luck finding a black series, too stiff as a daily road car but yeah the ultimate c classic 204. I'm not sure I could waste mileage on such a special model as a daily driver, but that us definitely the ultimate 204 to collect but I can't honestly see anyone using it as anything other than something you store away in a climate controlled environment ... there's one for sale, autotrader £150k with 30k miles on the clock ...

However the 507 edition... is probably more realistic but there are two w212 e63 s wagons on for around 44k on autotrader and I personally couldn't pick a 507 over a s model wagon ...

SHMEE 150s BS is probably the only 1 to rack up the miles ,he has recently returned after taking it to the nurburgring with 2 other BS

Yeah as smart AMG mentions it is the 6.2 but properly tuned to 520hp vs the modest numbers on the standard 204. Granted the 212 is heavy vs the 204, however the cabin is better, the suspension and comfort set up are actually rather excellent and it has a plush ride and excellent handling feel albeit with the weight penalty.
Looks wise the 212 pre facelift design is iconic IMO, better than the facelift but yes does lack the better intelligent LED lighting etc
With the right options you can get massaging seats etc and it is a step up from C class of that period.

Thought I'd throw the 212 into the discussion because of its 6.2 engine which is the only thing the 204 has that makes it special.
The steering of the 204 is also special, in a good way. I can't think of a modern car that has steering that comes close in terms of feel, and also perfect gearing of the rack. Not M cars, RSs, other AMGs, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches - only the 997, maybe a McLaren but that's playing in a different league. Maybe a Caterham, but I mean cars people use every day.
The last BMW M that had steering as good as a 204 was the E30 M3 and that was a long time ago. Ferrari 430, 360, 355 and 348 are better but they are two seater exotics and also a while back.
SLS and GT are not as good, quick steering for sure, better handling, but darty and lacking in feel, in the way of many modern exotics, set up for the track. I have never driven an E63/55 of any generation with steering as good as the 204 C63 AMG, although they may be better cars in other ways.

Last edited:
Good luck finding a black series, too stiff as a daily road car but yeah the ultimate c classic 204. I'm not sure I could waste mileage on such a special model as a daily driver, but that us definitely the ultimate 204 to collect but I can't honestly see anyone using it as anything other than something you store away in a climate controlled environment ... there's one for sale, autotrader £150k with 30k miles on the clock ...

However the 507 edition... is probably more realistic but there are two w212 e63 s wagons on for around 44k on autotrader and I personally couldn't pick a 507 over a s model wagon ...
The perfect road car ?

Doubt it sells at that £ -

1635492840339.png

Not that relevant to the discussion but thought I'd squeeze in a picture of my car just cause I think it's amazing haha.

I'm a full convert on the pre-facelift which I initially didn't like but now I much prefer.

Not trying to convince anyone. I have no strong feels about how anyone else feels about which cars they like or dont, it's personal preference.

IMG_20210412_141148.jpg

Last edited:
Not that relevant to the discussion but thought I'd squeeze in a picture of my car just cause I think it's amazing haha.

I'm a full convert on the pre-facelift which I initially didn't like but not I much prefer.

Not trying to convince anyone. I have no strong feels about how anyone else feels about which cars they like or dont, it's personal preference.

View attachment 120247
Handsome car 👍🏻

I agree, think the pre - facelift w212 c207 a207, is better, the front is far more, aggressive, the facelift is a softer look , but still good, but as said purely personal taste. :cool: :) 👍

I'm a full convert on the pre-facelift which I initially didn't like but now I much prefer.

View attachment 120247

I much prefer the pre FL wheels. In fact, trying to find some, but they're scarce!

Nice car 😎

Having owned both a pre-facelift and a facelift W212 E63, I also have a definite preference for the front end styling of the pre-facelift car. The rear quarters are a different matter though: the pontonesque creases are overly fussy and make the three-quarter rear view of the pre-facelift saloon look very poorly resolved. The estate doesn't suffer as badly, but the simpler lines of the facelift car are much better on both bodyshells, imo. However...

The LED multi-beam lamps on the front of the facelift car are massively better than the Bi-Xenon ILS setup on the pre-facelift car and Distronic+ works much better too. So on balance, while I prefer the front end styling of the pre-facelift car, I have to say that the facelift car was better from a driving perspective.

I haven’t said this for ages, but we really do need to arrange an MBClub day out at the drag strip to settle some grudge matches once and for all.

M156 vs M157
W/S/C204 vs W/S/C205
V8 vs I4
N/A vs FI
RWD vs AWD

Correction, make that simply

M156 W204 vs rest of the world

😁😁😁

I haven’t said this for ages, but we really do need to arrange an MBClub day out at the drag strip to settle some grudge matches once and for all.

M156 vs M157
W/S/C204 vs W/S/C205
V8 vs I4
N/A vs FI
RWD vs AWD

Correction, make that simply

M156 W204 vs rest of the world

😁😁😁

I am in! M156 W204 all the way! 💪💪💪

" haven't said this for ages"

M156 beats anything on a sound front. If it doesn't sound right, it doesn't feel right! 🥳

I have a 2020 C63 (not S) saloon on loan while I wait for my delayed new C63S and my existing 204 is in for service.

i intend to post properly about the new car when I get it. I have not driven a 205 C63 before, only the C63S saloon and cabrio. For the moment very brief impressions of the C63 vs my C63 6.2 estate are:

new car is more luxurious, more comfortable (not sports seats), far more punchy at low speeds which is all I have been doing, sounds great. Feels bigger, heavier, more saloon like. Handles really well when not pushing it. Feels muscular. Excellent traction from a standing start.

I would be lying if I said I could feel it had less power than the Ss I drove before. I really like the dark ash wood centre console and wish it had been an option on my S.

old car feels lighter, sharper, more agile, but rolls more. Engine flies when pushed but at a real disadvantage in town and suburb below 3000 rpm. Quite a lot more basic feeling inside. Feels like more of a sports car, pared down, which is hardly true on a universal basis but between these two. it's also on 19s which give the 204 a slightly crashy ride. New car is on 18s and ride is appreciably better.

once again I have not driven the new one properly on the open road so this is a very provisional and superficial observation.

so far they sound equally good, old car seems to have more "engine"/intake sound and new one more "exhaust" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom