N/S number plate bulb/wiring fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

westy2005

Car
Mercedes E300DT
Hi Guys,

just looking for a bit of help with the above. Up until recently all was working fine but overnight the bulb error came on the dash - simples - change the bulb as it was not lighting up - but this did not resolve the issue. So i changed the bulb that was working to the side that is not and still it did not light up after a bit of playing around it looks like a fault with the brown wire that goes to the n/s bulb, and this is where i get stuck.

Also to add to this the dash is now saying that there are numerous bulb faults i.e 2 squares on the display - but all other remaining bulbs work as they should.

If if run a wire over from the O/S plate bulb to the offending connector it lights up.

where do i investigate next???

many thanks

The brown wire is the earth. Remove it, clean it up with sandpaper and replace. Or just run a wire as you have done from the other light.

The brown wire is the earth. Remove it, clean it up with sandpaper and replace. Or just run a wire as you have done from the other light.

Cheers for that, already tried cleaning the contact up but no joy, the only problem with running a wire over is thati still get the error msg on the dash and would like tp try and eliminate the fault.

Cheers for that, already tried cleaning the contact up but no joy, the only problem with running a wire over is thati still get the error msg on the dash and would like tp try and eliminate the fault.

The wire might be broken.

So, you run a brown wire from the other side and it works? Its just an earth. Try another piece of wire.

eihtur said:
The wire might be broken.

So, you run a brown wire from the other side and it works? Its just an earth. Try another piece of wire.

When bridged over it works fine, except I still get the bulb error. So would I just need to trace the defective wire to where it connects and run a new to the n/s bulb?

When bridged over it works fine, except I still get the bulb error. So would I just need to trace the defective wire to where it connects and run a new to the n/s bulb?

Yes, clean both ends of the brown wire...particularly where it connects to the car.

Yes, clean both ends of the brown wire...particularly where it connects to the car.

Had it stripped down today and followed the brown wire as far back as i could get to before it goes beyond reach and still no joy, for the time being ive just put a patch wire over to enable it to work but still getting the error.

I know it all runs off a canbus system could it be a fault with the sensor??if so where is this located?

cheers

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom