• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Need urgent help! I am unable to see service history of my car and think I am getting ripped by MB.

Is there any way a user can access the service history? I looked at mercedes me and have to say it is the most unhelpful portal I’ve come across.
Yes you can in Mercedes Me, but only the services you have paid for. You are given a code with every service through a main dealer which allows access to it on line through Mercedes Me.

Yes you can in Mercedes Me, but only the services you have paid for. You are given a code with every service through a main dealer which allows access to it on line through Mercedes Me.

When I had the C180 I was able to see on the Mercedes me portal the full service history of the car all the way back to year 1, including the services carried-out before I bought it second-hand when it was 4 years old.

However I sold the car last year and things may have changed since.

When I had the C180 I was able to see on the Mercedes me portal the full service history of the car all the way back to year 1, including the services carried-out before I bought it second-hand when it was 4 years old.

However I sold the car last year and things may have changed since.
You might be correct, I'm the only one who's serviced my car, maybe that's why I only see my services.

Well, any good recommendations in Bromley area? 😊
Look further afield. I drive 60 miles to my Indy. There's a well-thought of Indy in the Tonbridge area who is also active on this forum. Many Indy garages can provide courtesy cars.

Almost not sure if this is a wind up thread or not 😊🤣

Car is due service every 12 months, OP unhappy they serviced it 3 months before collection?

OP - Speak to dealer when booking service in, ask for previous service details. You will also get a code with the most recent service paperwork that allows you to access the DSB for that vehicle, and will show previous dates, mileage and service performed.

Re the spark plugs, I have read somewhere that MB will remove the plugs clean the the threads and replace them to ease removal when the time comes for renewal, in my case 50k or there about ( a procedure I have done myself at about 35k ) Without googling I wouldn't know if the GLE has the Renault engine ( pardon my ignorance ) so plug life could be shorter.

My experience is that they simply replaced the spark plugs at 4y/40,000m (in my case, twice during the 5 years I had the car), and didn't touch them in between.

Almost not sure if this is a wind up thread or not 😊🤣

Car is due service every 12 months, OP unhappy they serviced it 3 months before collection?

OP - Speak to dealer when booking service in, ask for previous service details. You will also get a code with the most recent service paperwork that allows you to access the DSB for that vehicle, and will show previous dates, mileage and service performed.
Ha! Now you put it that way, it does feel like I wrote a wind up post 😂.
Thanks for the feedback. The service from dealers in my area is shocking.

Also, I called up service plan contact centre and they told me that there is already a service plan active on my car. I can only assume it was paid by the previous owner but I am not sure if Mercedes would cover my service under that plan. 🙃

Sevice plans are transferrable. If it was paid upfront then it will cover you for any unused services on the plan.

Sevice plans are transferrable. If it was paid upfront then it will cover you for any unused services on the
Sevice plans are transferrable. If it was paid upfront then it will cover you for any unused services on the plan.
I just spoke to MB service contracts team. They advised its not transferable as I bought an approved used car and I have not paid for the service plan and the previous owner did. Very contrary to what I have read on forms including here. 🤦🏽‍♂️

I just spoke to MB service contracts team. They advised its not transferable as I bought an approved used car and I have not paid for the service plan and the previous owner did. Very contrary to what I have read on forms including here. 🤦🏽‍♂️
Just book it in and tell them it has an active service plan (can ask them to confirm/email for record if you like). Plan goes on the car, not the owner AFAIK.

If the plan wasn’t active the previous owner would have had a refund, partial or otherwise. Sounds like a try on to me.

Bear in mind that some dealers/groups also offer (or did) their own service plans, as well MB UK's plans, and they might have slightly different t&cs.

I sold a car last September that had one service left on a service plan.
The new owner booked it in and had the service done without question.
It was however a private sale, not that should make a difference. The plan is paid for. Full stop.

What the previous owner should have done is cancel the plan when he sold the car, and get a partial refund for any unused services.

If they hadn't done that, then you can get the car booked in and serviced under the plan (and free to you).

What the previous owner should have done is cancel the plan when he sold the car, and get a partial refund for any unused services.

If they hadn't done that, then you can get the car booked in and serviced under the plan (and free to you)
Thanks. MB customer service said the plan is still active so that would mean the previous owner has not cancelled it. I will get it booked in. Cheers!

If they hadn't done that, then you can get the car booked in and serviced under the plan (and free to you).
Wouldn't the new owner need to continue the monthly payments? In other words, if they haven't set up the payment before purchased from Approved Used Dealer would that invalidate it going forward?

I am unable to see service history of my car

Always best getting this information before purchasing.

and think I am getting ripped by MB.

You will be getting standard dealer rates, always more than a decent Indy and usually less personal.

Wouldn't the new owner need to continue the monthly payments? In other words, if they haven't set up the payment before purchased from Approved Used Dealer would that invalidate it going forward?

Firstly, the service plan may have been purchased via a one-off payment.

Then, the previous owner might not have stopped the direct debit and the payments continued. E.g. if the previous owner is deceased then the balance of payments was from his/her estate made by the will's executors. Etc...

But even if the previous owner stopped the direct debit payments, the service plan is essentially a financial product and as such does not cancel automatically in the event of non payment, instead the debt keeps building-up and will eventually be chased.

Either way, the OP bought the car 9 months ago, so you'd assume that whatever might have happened, the current situation will not likely change now

However, the OP may potentially be risking committing the offence of 'Obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception' - just a thought (I am not a lawyer). The 'victim' here would be the previous owner who will be 'robbed' of his ability to cancel the plan and obtain a (belated) partial refund. But I digress..... :D

At any rate, from the MB dealer's perspective, if the computer shows that the car is covered by an active service plan, they'll service it.

(Unless, of course, the OP was given incorrect information by MB when he enquired about the service plan - not exactly unheard of...)

My experience is that they simply replaced the spark plugs at 4y/40,000m (in my case, twice during the 5 years I had the car), and didn't touch them in between.
Why would you change the plugs on a time basis eg 4 years if like me you do between 3/4k a year. Milage yes I agree but if a plug is not being used it's not wearing out, re my previous point on taking them out and putting them back in My SL 350 is roughly 10 years old and has covered 43k the plugs according to MB don't need renewing til 50k No one got back to my question if the op's car had the Renault engine in it so I might be barking up the wrong tree here.:confused:

Why would you change the plugs on a time basis eg 4 years if like me you do between 3/4k a year. Milage yes I agree but if a plug is not being used it's not wearing out, re my previous point on taking them out and putting them back in My SL 350 is roughly 10 years old and has covered 43k the plugs according to MB don't need renewing til 50k No one got back to my question if the op's car had the Renault engine in it so I might be barking up the wrong tree here.:confused:

My understanding is that the spark plugs are removed every 4 years in order to prevent them from seizing (in the olden days we used to clean and re-gap them every 3000 miles then replace them every 6000, but these days spark plugs are good for 40000 miles, and so they don't get removed regularly).

In theory, you could clean them and continue using them, but he plugs themselves are not extensive, and the logic is that if they are already out, you might as well just put new ones in.

Furthermore, modern cars will have all sorts of things that need to be disassembled for access to the spark plugs, and on V6 and V8 engines getting the inner plugs out is a bit of a nightmare, all these things mean labour cost, and in the UK parts may be cheap but labour is expensive - and so replacing the spark plugs while they are already out does make commercial sense, even if technically they could survive a few more years or miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom