Neutral Safety Switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

On my W124. I have noticed that I can start the engine with the Auto Gear Lever in any position, including DRIVE!!! I also have no reversing lights?

Now the gearbox has been in and out of the car a few times as we rebuilt the engine and gearbox. There are no other apparent issues and the car runs and drives fine. But it is an obvious safety issue. Starting in Drive, could leave a 124 shaped hole in the garage wall.

Does the panel suspect the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch)? From what I can find it refers to the car NOT starting in 'P' or 'N' when this switch fails? I am wondering if mine is just disconnected?

Getting under the car is not the easiest task for me at the moment, due to my creaking bones. As it is a mission to get down there I want to try and have everything to hand before going in (so to speak).

Check the multiplug which is in the passenger footwell. Although it does sound somewhat like a multiple fault because what the switch does is to make a simple circuit when the lever is in P and N. It shouldn't make that circuit to the other gear positions as well.

Last edited:
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1995/E320/SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS/5454.pdf
you may not have the startout lockout relay module the fault likely to rest with a faulty or dislodged /broken combined starter lockout /reversing lamp switch mounted on the side of the gearbox where the selector lever goes in.
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/transmission/trans_722_switch_R+R_1.pdf

I'm afraid its an under the car job. A reccy is required- on my e220 the switch arrangement was simpler and it did not require interfering with the selector lever mechanism at all It was held on with two bolts= unplug + unbolt substitute new unit --reverse operation voila!
otherwise its this
OZBENZ - Australian & New Zealand Mercedes-Benz Forums ? View topic - Replacing/Repairing Reversing Light/Starter Inhibitor Switch
details some electrical tests also

Last edited:
I would agree with Grober, most likely to be the inhibitor switch or whatever the Krout's call them. Might just be out of adjustment if your lucky, you need to have a poke about with a test lamp with Mrs M in the car moving the stick.

Trickythemerc said:
I would agree with Grober, most likely to be the inhibitor switch or whatever the Krout's call them. Might just be out of adjustment if your lucky, you need to have a poke about with a test lamp with Mrs M in the car moving the stick.
sounds like fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom