New (for me) E320 CDI Sport Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A very nice S211.... loving the rare TV in the rear... is it DVB-T or is it analogue TV on this model/age out of interest?

My friends Citroen C4 did that and the engine went up in a cloud of black smoke out the exhaust ;)

You've got it - thats exactly what happens when a diesel starts running on its sump oil - not much you can do about it once the engine is racing away - actually if you avoid crashing the car and you only have a wrecked engine then thats about the best you can expect.

Or if your tail pipes are sooty. Pan Man thats strange, mines the facelift and hasn't got the " Sports" logo, and the other one i looked at in the dealers didn't have them either. Got me going now, i'll be looking at every Sport i see.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, I've seen loads and loads of Sport models and have never seen a sport badge on any of them.

A lot didnt have the DPF. An extra you could do without IMO.

Thats my conclusion as well Jay. I think it is a technology rushed to market to get the emissions down without too much attention paid to the basic engineering principles or the poor user - excess fuel being dumped into the sump of a highly engineered high tolerance modern diesel engine? Even without the nasty side effect of the engine running away out of control on its own sump oil you would never dream of contaminating the engine oil like that.
My guess is that it will get removed and a new DPF version 2 will come along without the nasty side effects; meantime I would stay well away from any car with this "extra" fitted.
So I now have SBC brakes and DPF on my black list.........

In all fairness, you don't hear of many problems with MB DPF's unlike most other make, and i believe they don't need to put them on most MB's because they managed to get the emissions down to Euro 4 without having to use one. Please correct me if i'm wrong.:rolleyes:

Yes, I have had trouble working out which of my V6 diesels has a paticulate filter.
The best way I have found is to look at the V5! If it has got one then the particulates will be in the region of 0.004, if it hasn't then about 0.02.
Simples!:D
Nice car by the way, I have only had the engine/ gearbox combination upto 40K miles so I will be interested to hear how they feel 'midlife'

Thats my conclusion as well Jay. I think it is a technology rushed to market to get the emissions down without too much attention paid to the basic engineering principles or the poor user - excess fuel being dumped into the sump of a highly engineered high tolerance modern diesel engine? Even without the nasty side effect of the engine running away out of control on its own sump oil you would never dream of contaminating the engine oil like that.
My guess is that it will get removed and a new DPF version 2 will come along without the nasty side effects; meantime I would stay well away from any car with this "extra" fitted.
So I now have SBC brakes and DPF on my black list.........

lol I have both SBC and DPF. I can't say I'm bothered to be honest.

lol I have both SBC and DPF. I can't say I'm bothered to be honest.

Nothing to be bothered about - the SBC system is very good but an unnecessary piece of technology that will cost £££££ at some point in the future when it needs a new pump - and as has been said the Mercedes DPF system does not appear to have the same gremlins as some others - type in mazda dpf and see what comes back.

I have to agree re the SBC system. I really liked the features on my old 2003 e-class. This new car still has the'hold' feature, however I liked the one that you can use in traffic to slow you down without using the brakes (sorry forgot the name). I thought they were the best brakes that I have ever used.
I suppose the pump is expensive when not covered by MB, and also the brake fluid changes were expensive.

SBC Stop.

The brakes are very good, but I came from a brand new Renault Sport Megane F1 R26 with Brembo 4-Pots which had razor-sharp brakes, steering, tyres the works.

what was your average speed to get 39.6 over 220miles. I never seem to get above 32-35mpg only done 40K miles though

I wouldn't worry if I were you, I've seen loads and loads of Sport models and have never seen a sport badge on any of them.

The E-class Sports models DO NOT have a 'sports' badge on the front wing trim where classic/elegance/avantgarde do. Don't know why, they just didn't. It's the same with the Executive trim line they offered on some of the outgoing W211 saloons (maybe they were both UK specific model lines?). If prm has seen such a badge, it would have been a DIY mod.

what was your average speed to get 39.6 over 220miles. I never seem to get above 32-35mpg only done 40K miles though

Sorry I have reset the trip now. However, I set the cruise to 75mph on the main A roads and Motorways, so I would think the overall the speed including the town work would have been around 50 mph.......not sure though

The E-class Sports models DO NOT have a 'sports' badge on the front wing trim where classic/elegance/avantgarde do. Don't know why, they just didn't. It's the same with the Executive trim line they offered on some of the outgoing W211 saloons (maybe they were both UK specific model lines?). If prm has seen such a badge, it would have been a DIY mod.

Not me, The Pan Man reckons he's seen them.:dk:

sounds like a DIY job to me. Afterall I've seen a C220 CDI with an AMG and Renault Clio 'Sport' badge on it.

I spoke to MBTECHNICIAN (Richard at Gemtech)this morning whist servicing my car. It does not have the DPF and apparently if you have one, you can tell because you will have a sensor going into your airbox.

Anyway the car will need brake pads all round soon, but showed no fault codes, and is over 15,000 miles away from the next service (Mobil 1) so I am very happy with it so far.

I have not run Vredestein on 18" wheels on the 211 estate but I have used:

Dunlop SP01 Good all round tyre.
Conti Sportcontact2. Good grip and wear but noisy when worn.
Goodyear FI. Quiet with good grip, but poor fuel economy.

Many on here speak very highly of the Falken 452 and there are some reports of the Vredestein being a little noisy.
The Toyo Proxes are a little known tyre which I have the 4x4 version on my ML and is the best tyre I have driven that type of car on. The 'saloon' version gets very good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom