• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

New Ford Capri

Hmmm.....

Seems not a huge amount of the earlier cars DNA made it into the new one.

New Ford Capri electric SUV revealed 2024
In the words of Jim Royle:

‘Capri My Ar5e!’

I’m sure it’s a good car, bad (new) cars are rare these days. Using the Capri name won’t make it better nor will it attract more buyers, so they ought to have saved that badge for a car which could have benefitted from the badge.

As time goes by it feels less likely that Ford will ever build such a car, so maybe that’s why they’ve used it now for this. Perhaps they just don’t want to build a car which which evokes memories of the sportiness and glamour of 1970/80s industrial towns.

😎

The target market won't have heard of ye olde Capri (or The Professionals)
Only old grunters
The 'Model 2025' (or T for short) will launch in 12 months, probably....
Disagree. The industry's full of old names revived.

BMW Neue Klasse (1960's or 2020's) or BMW 328 come to mind.

You're right that the typical new young Capri buyer / lessee won't "recognise" the name, but the supply chain will.

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 08.10.28.png

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 08.12.02.png

The original Capri was a finned pillarless coupe. I should know. My first car ever in 1969 was one of these, followed by a rare GT many years later!

Disagree. The industry's full of old names revived.

BMW Neue Klasse (1960's or 2020's) or BMW 328 come to mind.

You're right that the typical new young Capri buyer / lessee won't "recognise" the name, but the supply chain will.

View attachment 158956

View attachment 158957
But the supply chain doesn't matter

They or it don't buy / lease / finance cars.

To the 25 to 35 market it's a new car and a new name more likely to associate it with the happy drink they had as kids (Capri Sun anyone?) or possibly a place influencers on Insta look great in, somewhere in Italy

The A class now is nothing like the original A class (it's much better in most respects)
Likewise this new 'crappy' will also be, as a reliable form of transport no doubt.

I agree names are recycled as that's oft down to IP and trademarks as well as a lack of either options or imagination.

That could be a new thread....
Names of cars that would work and ones that would not.

But the supply chain doesn't matter

They or it don't buy / lease / finance cars.

To the 25 to 35 market it's a new car and a new name more likely to associate it with the happy drink they had as kids (Capri Sun anyone?) or possibly a place influencers on Insta look great in, somewhere in Italy

The A class now is nothing like the original A class (it's much better in most respects)
Likewise this new 'crappy' will also be, as a reliable form of transport no doubt.

I agree names are recycled as that's oft down to IP and trademarks as well as a lack of either options or imagination.

That could be a new thread....
Names of cars that would work and ones that would not.
Fair response, I meant the "supply chain" in the broader sense, not just the logistics of getting it through the factory and onto "your" driveway.

The designers, the factory builders, the blokes on the line, marketing and sales, the maintenance guys. People who have an indirect influence on perception of the end product.

Names that last longer than a lifetime: The Ford F, the Suburban, Landcruiser, Traaannnsssittt, Crown, Corolla....

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 10.24.47.png

On 3 or 4 occasions on business trips to the USA in recent years I have been 'upgraded' to a Ford Mustang but with the 4 cyl turbo engine in them . I refuse them now , very poor choice of engine for that car (Thanks' Ford).

Plus , the blokes at work ask why am I driving my mom's/sisters car :banana:

I tend to go for a Dodge these days (Challenger or Charger) no longer offered the V8'sat my rental place, but the N/A V6 petrol is a better drive than the 4 cyl Ford.
I’m off to Virginia next week and will be collecting a car from National using their Emerald Club service - pick any car you like from the ‘Emerald Aisle’. I know virtually nothing about cars in the USA so it’ll probably be a coin toss unless there’s a Mercedes/BMW/Audi available.

I chose a Dodge Charger last time (4 years ago) and it felt as exciting as an ordinary Ford.

Wasn't that the "Consul Capri"?
Yes it was. Like the Consul Classic, Consul Cortina, and Consul Corsair. With reference to the Capri, there was no mention of "Consul" anywhere on the car, just the Capri or Capri GT badge on the rear, and a small Ford badge on the bottom of the front wing. Nearside wing only!

At least it was still a Golf based, four seat, two door coupe like the original.....so some family link. The Capri is just a recycled name.

Looks like a Polestar?
When I saw the picture in the first post, I too felt it looked like the Polestar other than the colour

Ford naming the car "Capri" is an insult to the Mark 1. I must have be aged 9/10 when I first saw the GT version then when I was about 14, the man next door got a red one, not gt but it had a vinyl roof - always wanted one especially the JPS editions then later the 2.8, I these were the last ones Ford made. Never got around to getting one.

What was the point of using the name again? Did ford think that we are fools? I get it with the retro VW Beetle as it looked something like it but this Capril, it just looks like another car, one of the millions on our roads.

When I was very young I used to take a Profeasionals toy Capri with me to play with whilst I waited for my Mom to do her various cleaning jobs in houses, apartments, community centres etc.

I’d spent hours looking and the photo and description of it in the Argos catalogue. Then one day it was mine, it was secondhand so I didn't have the stuff that came with it, but I had the Capri

10_4ee83a1d-5bae-4cac-bf6d-06c971a6e388.jpg

Then some time later the man who owned the chip shop had a brand new 2.8 in blue over silver and my goodness it looked good, and even better than the photos I now see online.

1720928803519.jpeg

But for me - and probably many people - was the 280 Brooklands which came a few years later. A chap around the corner bought a brand new one. What a handsome car that was.

capri_062.jpg

Here I am 40 years later longing for the latest incarnation of one of the coolest and most glamorous cars, named after one of the coolest and most glamours locations.

1720929790511.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom