New member in Cheltenham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ddavidm

Car
Car
Evening all.
I'm Dan, and I've joined your fine forum as I'm 90% sure I'm in the market for an E class, flexible as to whether estate (if so 7 seats preferred) or saloon. Must I think be Avantgarde spec. Looking for an oil burner, likely 220 or 270, but wouldn't rule out 320.

New to the marque. Previous conquests of note include Saab 99 turbo, Lotus Carlton, Lotus Elise, and e39 M5.

Currently, I drive a Mazda RX8, and my better half a Touran auto which is used to ferry around our 2 demanding daughters, aged 9 and 6. Reason for the change is that my wife, who only has an auto licence, wants a smaller car, possibly a B class, Golf or something of that ilk. However, we still need a family sized car, so I'll be chopping in my allegedly impractical RX8. I've always liked Mercedes, and in researching, I was pleasantly surprised by the apparent value of E class cars. I'll be looking for a 2006-2008 model, for which good examples seem to command circa 9-12k for 30-50k miles models.

Having never owned a Mercedes, I'd be extremely grateful for any tips to a prospective purchaser. I did try to find this by having a look through the forum but could not do so. Perhaps as there are just too many models to cover? In particular, advice on whether there are any known issue with these models I ought to look out for. How concerned should I be on looking for low mileage models? (I'll only be adding another 8-10k per annum). Is it advised to pay the premium for a main dealer sale / peace of mind? Just how good are these cars in terms of reliability, longevity, and quality? Any thoughts on the pick of the diesel engines....is one a gem, or are they all fit for purpose? How ridiculous are servicing costs, either from MB or a good indy? What about cam belt changes (usually advised at 4-5 yrs I think...hence at about the age of car I'm looking for...) very expensive on the VW, more I imagine on an E class.

Any pearls of wisdom most gratefully received.

Dan

Hi there Dan and welcome to the forum.Use W211 to search

Folks, does this sound like a wise investment for 12k?

E220cdi a/g auto, 08 reg, 60k miles, full history (3 services including recent one), command nav, leather, bluetooth

I think I'm right in saying the W211 underwent a facelift in 2007 addressing previous issues?

Thanks

Having never owned a Mercedes, I'd be extremely grateful for any tips to a prospective purchaser. I did try to find this by having a look through the forum but could not do so. Perhaps as there are just too many models to cover? In particular, advice on whether there are any known issue with these models I ought to look out for. How concerned should I be on looking for low mileage models? (I'll only be adding another 8-10k per annum). Is it advised to pay the premium for a main dealer sale / peace of mind? Just how good are these cars in terms of reliability, longevity, and quality? Any thoughts on the pick of the diesel engines....is one a gem, or are they all fit for purpose? How ridiculous are servicing costs, either from MB or a good indy? What about cam belt changes (usually advised at 4-5 yrs I think...hence at about the age of car I'm looking for...) very expensive on the VW, more I imagine on an E class.

Any pearls of wisdom most gratefully received.

Dan
Welcome to the forum Dan, I've owned five W211's so it could be said that I know a bit about them. :)

Around mid-2005 they changed the E320 from an IL6 to the V6 CDi, also dropping the 270 CDi which was replaced with the 280 (which is a down-tuned version of the 320). The 220 stayed the same.

So you have;
E320 V6 CDi; 224bhp
E280 V6 CDi; 190bhp
E220 4cyl CDi; 170bhp

Depending on which engine you go for they're all good solid units, it will obviously just depend on how much power that you desire. They are all capable of doing 'starship' miles.

All Mercedes engines are chain driven.

Servicing is down to your own preferences IMO, the customer service at quite a few dealerships leaves a lot to be desired.

Folks, does this sound like a wise investment for 12k?

E220cdi a/g auto, 08 reg, 60k miles, full history (3 services including recent one), command nav, leather, bluetooth

I think I'm right in saying the W211 underwent a facelift in 2007 addressing previous issues?

Thanks
June 2006 was about the time of the face-lift.

Hi Dan,welcome to the forum:thumb:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Deposit just placed on......

http://www.mottramtradesales.com/107910/used-cars.htm (page 2 4th car down.....can't copy link straight to the car for some reason)

Does this look a decent purchase? Spoke to MB M'chr who did the service and they said the car had a full inspection when with them recently. Recent brake pads, new front discs, major service etc, all within last 3k miles.

Last edited:
Hello Dan
Welcome to the Forum :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom