New Member looking for my first Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check for rust, in the usual places e.g. wheel arches, bottom of doors and rear hatch, around windscreen seals front and rear, etc, but also check the underside of the car i.e. the suspension and cross-member etc.

Mercedes started galvanising their cars around early 2003.

Galvanised cars are not rust-proof, but they are less likely to rust.

So a late 2003 or a 2004 car would be a safer bet.

I went to see this today.

2004 Silver MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS 3.2 E320 CDI Avantgarde 5dr for sale for £3495 in Birmingham, West Midlands

It looks superb, only 85k on the clock.

Here's the description from the advert

FULL SERVICE HISTORY, WARRANTED LOW MILEAGE, LONG MOT TILL 19/09/2019, EXCELLENT DRIVE, WELL MAINTAINED, FULL MOT HISTORY, 3 PREVIOUS OWNERS, CLEAN CONDITION INSIDE AND OUT, SPARE KEY, RUN AND DRIVES PERFECT, ENGINE AND GEARBOX IN GREAT WORKING ORDER, FINISHED IN SILVER, GREAT SPEC INCLUDING SAT NAV, FULL LEATHER SEATS, XENONS HEADLIGHTS, ALLOY WHEELS, CRUISE CONTROL AND MORE, + RESERVE THIS CAR WITH A SMALL HOLDING DEPOSIT + VIEWINGS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY + FINANCE AVAILABLE + PART EXCHANGE WELCOME + NATIONWIDE DELIVERY SERVICE AVAILABLE + CALL NOW TO BOOK A VIEWING OR TEST DRIVE + ANY TRIAL/INSPECTION WELCOME + HPI CLEAR +, £3,495

Well all I can say is they've either used a different car in the photos, or it's just the photos really don't tell the truth. The photos aren't great anyway.

CLEAN CONDITION INSIDE AND OUT is a complete and utter lie.

Outside

The car has a dent in the front wing, not mentioned in the advert and oh look, they've missed the front left when taking the photos. The rear bumper looks as though they've used the rear of the car to take a wall down. Boot lid won't stay up and when it shuts, loads of trim is falling off. Wheels have scratches and chunks out of each one.

Inside

I think they've had a herd of dogs running through the car. There's more dirt and marks in this interior than I've ever seen in any car.

85k on the clock? Yeah right. Well, the MOT check suggests thats true, but if it weren't for that, I'd say this car has done well over 200k by the interior.

My Golf has 210k on the clock and hasn't a mark on the interior and the exterior has a few marks, but very few.

Amazing, I got only £4850 trade in for a 2008 E320 cdi Avantgarde with a genuine 42k on the clock 18 months ago ! Should have kept it!

This one looks nice

2005 Silver MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS 3.2 E320 CDI Avantgarde 5dr (Euro 4) for sale for £3695 in Forest Gate, Newham

Little bit of Surface rust just starting on the inner rear arch nowt a rub down and paint wouldnt sort. Nice spec too

I scanned over it quickly, but couldn't see the rust or a mention of it.

I must admit that colour interior isn't my favorite, but perhaps I could go and have a look at it.

I went to see this today.

2004 Silver MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS 3.2 E320 CDI Avantgarde 5dr for sale for £3495 in Birmingham, West Midlands

It looks superb, only 85k on the clock.

Here's the description from the advert

Well all I can say is they've either used a different car in the photos, or it's just the photos really don't tell the truth. The photos aren't great anyway.

CLEAN CONDITION INSIDE AND OUT is a complete and utter lie.

Outside

The car has a dent in the front wing, not mentioned in the advert and oh look, they've missed the front left when taking the photos. The rear bumper looks as though they've used the rear of the car to take a wall down. Boot lid won't stay up and when it shuts, loads of trim is falling off. Wheels have scratches and chunks out of each one.

Inside

I think they've had a herd of dogs running through the car. There's more dirt and marks in this interior than I've ever seen in any car.

85k on the clock? Yeah right. Well, the MOT check suggests thats true, but if it weren't for that, I'd say this car has done well over 200k by the interior.

My Golf has 210k on the clock and hasn't a mark on the interior and the exterior has a few marks, but very few.

I have to say that this is quite typical these days....

Happened to me a few times whilst I was looking to a convertible - hence I eventually bought a Coupe again! Got sick of wasting money on train fares - not to mention my time!!

Sometimes I honestly believe that they believe they themselves are telling the truth and when you point out the obvious they get all upset!

I've just put it down to a case of some peoples standards are in the cesspit!

I hope you find something soon..... ;)

I scanned over it quickly, but couldn't see the rust or a mention of it.

I must admit that colour interior isn't my favorite, but perhaps I could go and have a look at it.

Its very minor imaged nsr forward of the rear wheel, They all do it.

Its good spec lowish miles low owners and fsh , cant really go wrong. I had a e320 cdi I6 was a awesome car

47088764_10156330836867284_3369755182081507328_n.jpg

46734900_10156330837952284_1877284875996758016_n.jpg

46712868_10156330838237284_6244840684122013696_n.jpg

I have to say that this is quite typical these days....

Happened to me a few times whilst I was looking to a convertible - hence I eventually bought a Coupe again! Got sick of wasting money on train fares - not to mention my time!!

Sometimes I honestly believe that they believe they themselves are telling the truth and when you point out the obvious they get all upset!

I've just put it down to a case of some peoples standards are in the cesspit!

I hope you find something soon..... ;)

Agreed. It just beggars belief that they could honestly describe that car in the way in which they did.

Even some basic checks I were unable to complete. I always open the oil cap and take a look, but this one was on solid, as if it had been glued on - as if they don't want me to take a look.

The only others I've been considering are the E320, depending on cost.

Go for the E320cdi 2003-2005 will get you the Om648 in-line 6 diesel. Practically bulletproof. Mine is on 249K miles. I get 50mpg on the motorway, and plenty of power.

Go for advantgarde so you get the xenons, and led rear lights, as well as bigger wheels and sports suspension.

I heard from @merc85 The 320 doesn’t suffer from leaking injectors like the 270.

Here’s mine:

View media item 7907

50mpg sounds good to me. I'll keep my eyes open, but for now I will fix what needs doing on the Golf as it doesn't look as though I'm getting something else any time soon.

A point to ponder, some of you may be able to help.

The first car I saw, an E270, very clean inside and out.

Driving, felt ok, felt what was expected of a heavier car at 177bhp. My Golf has 200bhp and is lighter, so that's all I have to compare it to.

Only driving issue was when up to NSL speeds, a slight wobble was felt through the steering wheel - now this can be a mine field from wheel balancing to anything troublesome. I didn't feel it when braking and don't remember feeling it through the seat. Otherwise a silky smooth ride.

Battery was flat, so it was started with a jump starter, so electrics were all in safe mode, so nothing special worked. Would this need a reset?

Those were the only points making me cautious of the E270 I saw.

Seriously a Mapped e320cdi would eat a 200hp Golf all day long And tbh i don't why your comparing a Vw to a E-class, chalk n cheese really imho.

If you like the Vw's that much i think you should stick to that brand, Perhaps try a Passat Estate?

Seriously a Mapped e320cdi would eat a 200hp Golf all day long

What power would one of those put out?

And tbh i don't why your comparing a Vw to a E-class, chalk n cheese really imho.

Well, as I said, I have a VW, so it's all I have to go by in considering power to weight, which shouldn't be difficult to understand.

If you like the Vw's that much i think you should stick to that brand, Perhaps try a Passat Estate?

As per the first post, I haven't seen any estates I really like apart from the E class.

Well, as I said, I have a VW, so it's all I have to go by in considering power to weight, which shouldn't be difficult to understand.

But there’s more to these cars than power? What about comfort and refinement?

But there’s more to these cars than power? What about comfort and refinement?

The comfort and refinement levels are why I'm looking at Avantgarde models. I like what they have to offer in terms of the interior, a pleasing place to be.

Mine was aprox 285hp with 566 nms / 418ft lbs of Torque so in gear acceleration was very brisk. Did a 15sec 1/4 at 96mph
Kerb weight 1735kg there abouts, which is about 165hp per ton with plenty of torque to go with it.

As above there is plenty more to owning one than just usable amounts of power.

As above there is plenty more to owning one than just usable amounts of power.

Quite, as it is with any car. On some I'd looked at I hadn't even finished looking over the car before handing the keys back and not even taking it for a drive.

Just seen a new advert for an E300. Mot advisaries for 2 years state both offside and nearside steering rack joints have play.

Private seller, MOT until Feb, he could be getting rid before embarking on trouble wit the car. Wondering if I should stay away from that or at least go and see it as it's not too far.

^ Factor in the cost of the repair when making your offer if the car checks out everywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom