• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

New to me E500 sport

Stevepen

Car
E500 Sport
Hi everyone. Just picked up my first Mercedes an E500 sport. Great condition and drives like new. They seem pretty rare and took ages to find the right one.
3c3be85affdeeb43cb8af044cf306974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, that looks very nice :) Is that a chrome cover on the wing mirror? Sorry but the eBay special wing badges need to go ;)

Looks very smart , congratulations

Congrats, that looks very nice :) Is that a chrome cover on the wing mirror? Sorry but the eBay special wing badges need to go ;)

Yes, well spotted. The wing mirror covers and badges need to come off. There is an AMG badge on the rh side of the boot lid and not sure if this should stay. It doesn’t look like an eBay one.

Yes, well spotted. The wing mirror covers and badges need to come off. There is an AMG badge on the rh side of the boot lid and not sure if this should stay. It doesn’t look like an eBay one.

I’d remove it personally.

Congratulations.

I was going to buy that one myself (sic) , but have been snow birding for a couple of months so wasn't able to see it to do the deal. (It's annoying because he'd had it in stock since September and I only noticed it after I'd gone away but hey ho, there'll be another along...sometime)

Loved the condition, mileage, alleged service history, and overall appearance, for what seemed like a low price.

It's rare to find a 5.5 with that kind of provenance, let alone an AMG sport version

Those wing badges are correct original 5.5 facelift spec, as is the bonnet badge, I think, for a rare AMG body optioned car.

The chrome mirror covers are odd - haven't seen those before - would think they're just an ad hoc ad on, possibly an AMG body option, but I'm not certain. Personally, I'd live with them for a while to see how they settle.

Here's the 2006 CAR review of the facelift car. Note the 5.5 wing badges on the black E500 at the top of the article (see image below):

Mercedes E500 facelift (2006) review

eclass_1_560px.jpg

And here's the write up of the £5000 AMG sport option that you've got there. The engine is fundamentally the same as the normal car, but there are some interesting tweaks to the 7G sport gearbox settings, exhaust, etc. Your car is not exactly the same (see the wheels), but that's fairly normal as the dealer or first owner would have personalised it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/20/mercedes-benz-unleashes-amg-sports-package-for-e-class/

101821706c1736_058.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting to see the Wing badges! Didnt know they were standard Mike :)

The 5.5 litre E500 is rare, with only about 25 in the country, according to the (slightly unreliable) Howmanyleft. So you wouldn't have seen many of those badges.

(And there will only be a handful of AMG Sports in the UK.)

But as a styling cue, it's consistent with the side badges on the E63 etc going forward.

Mike that's a regular sport not an AMG sport. Note, no bodykit, no amg wheels either.

My 320cdi has the package and from what I can see you get the perforated contoured steering wheel, AMG front and rear bumper, AMG exhaust tips and wheels.

Just FYI the car in the top pic is an E63 AMG, the grey S211 is an AMG sport. Front bumpers are different along with all the other E63 bits.

This is what you're referring to, though the AMG badge on the centre console obviously has been added on:
Saved Adverts

Here's another (same as mine): Saved Adverts

Stevepen that's a stunning car you've got there, chuck the badges and the chrome caps and it's a winner. Real sleeper with near 400 bhp! :)

All what Abdul said :)

There has never been a W211 with wing badges other than AMG models - either “V8 Kompressor” for the E55K or (even though it’s actually a 6.2) “6.3 AMG” on the E63.

The AMG kits fitted to non-AMG models on the pre-facelift is the same as the E55K except for the quad exhaust, but on the facelift E63 the front bumper is different to the non-AMG models in that it’s got vents on the side.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if the arches were rolled but that’s another issue!

Mike that's a regular sport not an AMG sport. Note, no bodykit, no amg wheels either.
Stevepen that's a stunning car you've got there, chuck the badges and the chrome caps and it's a winner. Real sleeper with near 400 bhp! :)

I stand corrected

I was going by the seller's original description which described it as AMG Sport pack, and showed photos of the AMG badging and what I thought to be extra AMG elements like the AMG oval tail pipes, "drilled" pedals, Nappa leather and flappy paddles..

28870942.jpg

Here's the link to the original ad
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class E500 Sport £8,000

In any case, a quick VIN look up will give you the full build detail of the car - from Nappa leather seats to panoramic sunroof.

Others on here can explain that process.

Last edited:
In any case, a quick VIN look up will give you the full build detail of the car - from Nappa leather seats to panoramic sunroof.

Others on here can explain that process.
Yes, I've checked the VIN. It doesn't refer to AMG anywhere and still on air and not steel springs as the AMG sport has. It lists 952 sports package. Looks like they were based on the Avantgarde with sporty extras added.

Ah man that’s a nice car, welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom