• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Smart Roadster Brabus Xclusive

This is our Herr Dreyer from the Bentley Le Mans project;)

IMG_1280.jpegIMG_1282.jpeg
Bentley CEO Paefgen had announced at the beginning of 2003 that Bentley were going to do three things that year:
  1. Complete the renovation of the Crewe facility.
  2. Launch a brand new mid-size Bentley.
  3. Oh! ...and win Le Mans! No pressure for the Project Manager then....:eek:

Up and out at 0600 this morning for a 40 minute drive - plus Starbucks pit stop - for a 0700 MoT appointment. It passed with no advisories.

The MoT tester told me that “It’s in phenomenol, phenomenol condition underneath. It’s completely perfect and has been waxed and protected, and looks better than a brand new car under there. It’s perfect in every way”. I’ll take that as his seal of approval then! Not bad for an old car!

Late today it will have the first detail in my custodianship, and it’s piling on the miles. It’s a great little car.

Having done around 800 miles - all but the first journey being with the roof open - I can conclude that airflow inside the cabin could be a limiting factor for year-round top-down use.

This morning it was 16.5 degrees (ambient) at the tail end of an min heatwave, and I had to resort putting the heater on as my (sleeveless) arms were cold, and even then it was still cool-ish!

There are two small lips on the top of the windscreen header rail to separate the airflow further, to kick it up higher of the car and reduce the amount of air coming into there cabin.

It’s not enough to be effective though. It’s not really an issue though, it’s part of the appeal of the car, its nature is a little raw. Even having the windows fully open doesn’t really make it much worse!

Temperature in the cabin might help me to make the decision to store it over the winter - which I’ve never done with any car - which might be no bad thing considering how perfect it is underneath.

Having done around 800 miles - all but the first journey being with the roof open - I can conclude that airflow inside the cabin could be a limiting factor for year-round top-down use.
This morning it was 16.5 degrees (ambient) at the tail end of an min heatwave, and I had to resort putting the heater on as my (sleeveless) arms were cold, and even then it was still cool-ish!
There are two small lips on the top of the windscreen header rail to separate the airflow further, to kick it up higher of the car and reduce the amount of air coming into there cabin.
It’s not enough to be effective though. It’s not really an issue though, it’s part of the appeal of the car, its nature is a little raw. Even having the windows fully open doesn’t really make it much worse!
Temperature in the cabin might help me to make the decision to store it over the winter - which I’ve never done with any car - which might be no bad thing considering how perfect it is underneath.
You really are a nipper, aren't you?

What's wrong with using a heater? Or a coat?

My uncle was a bomb aimer in a Lancaster. Night raids. Normal temperature at 20,000 feet? Minus 40 degrees.

(Fahrenheit or Celsius: you may say? Answer: "both")

Here from the side profile:

View attachment 157780
Pretty car! Reminiscent of the Honda Del Sol, a car that I still miss after it lost an argument with a BMW.
BTW, you do know about the Achilles heel of these cars? Once they have been driven without the filler cap it is only a matter of time before the fuel tank collapses. To save your embarrassment when it happens during rush hour in mittel england, I will gladly collect and euthanise it at no cost to you.

Pretty car! Reminiscent of the Honda Del Sol, a car that I still miss after it lost an argument with a BMW.
BTW, you do know about the Achilles heel of these cars? Once they have been driven without the filler cap it is only a matter of time before the fuel tank collapses. To save your embarrassment when it happens during rush hour in mittel england, I will gladly collect and euthanise it at no cost to you.
😀 I’ll get it trailered to you 😀

Reactions: JHS
Have you tried Evolution ? They recommend Denso
I haven’t but I’ll bear that in mind, thank you. I’m keep to maintain the Mercedes/Smart service history - because it’s very close to complete - and they won’t fit aftermarket parts. My usual dealer will (if MB cannot supply) but they’re not a Smart dealer now, Mercedes only.

You really are a nipper, aren't you?

What's wrong with using a heater? Or a coat?

My uncle was a bomb aimer in a Lancaster. Night raids. Normal temperature at 20,000 feet? Minus 40 degrees.

(Fahrenheit or Celsius: you may say? Answer: "both")

You can’t really feel the heater in Summer when the roof is open, so in Winter it will be far from ideal. I can already tell that it will be the worst car I have for top-down Winter driving - both due to the air coming into the cabin and lack of grip/traction in snow, ice and slippery conditions.

PS Minus 40 shminus shmorty. It’s colder than that right now in the Peak District.

You can’t really feel the heater in Summer when the roof is open, so in Winter it will be far from ideal. I can already tell that it will be the worst car I have for top-down Winter driving - both due to the air coming into the cabin and lack of grip/traction in snow, ice and slippery conditions.

PS Minus 40 shminus shmorty. It’s colder than that right now in the Peak District.
Let me know when you decide to sell it.

“Just saying.”

There’s top down and then there’s TOP DOWN

First is the easy way, basically open the sunroof. TOP DOWN means removing the side bars and stashing them under the bonnet

Do you not have heated seats?

Haven’t driven mine in 6 months as was hoping to sell it, but it’s insured now from next weekend as the MOT is due in Sept and no-one is going to buy a car with a couple of months MOT. Got too many cars as it is, so have to ration the driving of each of them. 3 of them too low for my 87 year old mother to get in and out (smart is probably even lower than the Elise, but a little easier to get in/out) so her weekly hairdresser trip can only be done in either of the “sensible” ones - which means the others get used even less 🤔

Guess I’ll try some new pictures and a rewritten ad, but the market does feel very slow right now for anything even slightly off piste

There’s top down and then there’s TOP DOWN

First is the easy way, basically open the sunroof. TOP DOWN means removing the side bars and stashing them under the bonnet

Do you not have heated seats?
Most of the time I drive it with the roof open and side bars in place as it’s so convenient whilst the weather has been so variable, but sometimes I drive it with the sidebars removed altogether but you need to be sure that there are no showers! When I picked it up it had the hard top fitted as it was the only way I could get it home!

I do have heated seats, although I’ve not used them much. Have you used yours in Winter?

Most of the time I drive it with the roof open and side bars in place as it’s so convenient whilst the weather has been so variable, but sometimes I drive it with the sidebars removed altogether but you need to be sure that there are no showers! When I picked it up it had the hard top fitted as it was the only way I could get it home!

I do have heated seats, although I’ve not used them much. Have you used yours in Winter?
My previous one was my daily for a year so parked outside all the time and driven to work etc through whatever weather, (dont think it snowed during that time) but I sold that one when the company bought me an EV. Certainly had to defrost the screen a few times and wait for the rear screens to clear (both mine were coupes with the glass tailgates and side windows

I actually bought the current one first, but as an unfinished project, when I realised the scale of work still needed I bought a cheap one to see how I got on with them

You did well to get both soft and hard top, my understanding is most came with one of the other, the best you could hope for with a soft top was the fittings for hard top being there too. Hardtops sell for ridiculous money, so any cheap smart with one likely to be broken😢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom