• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

New to me E500 sport

Great car, welcome to the E500 club! Enjoy...

Had it for 3 weeks now and still love it. Quite amazed at the mpg. I’ve had 2 fill ups and done 350 miles from each tank full. Any ideas on getting a deeper note from the exhaust? Just bit too quiet [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had it for 3 weeks now and still love it. Quite amazed at the mpg. I’ve had 2 fill ups and done 350 miles from each tank full. Any ideas on getting a deeper note from the exhaust? Just bit too quiet [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes economy is generally regarded as very good for the size of car and engine. It’s perfectly possible to get over 30mpg and thus well over 400 miles from a tank on long motorway trips.

I agree about the quiet exhaust, I have not changed anything but the accepted approach is to remove the centre resonator from the exhaust, Torqueflow in Birmingham are the acknowledged experts at this though other decent exhaust shops may be able to help too. If doing this the resonator should be replaced by a small H pipe that achieves flow balancing between the two cylinder banks.

Great car m8 no go and give it some ? Them v8 engines love it m8

Yes economy is generally regarded as very good for the size of car and engine. It’s perfectly possible to get over 30mpg and thus well over 400 miles from a tank on long motorway trips

Blast from the past! Do you still stand by this, SW18? That's mighty impressive.

Blast from the past! Do you still stand by this, SW18? That's mighty impressive.
Hello, yes indeed! My brim-to-brim mpg is just over 26mpg across almost 30,000 miles now, though to be fair I do use the car mostly for long-distance journeys.

My worst brim-to-brim reading was just under 17mpg from a number of local trips, and the best was just a shade over 30mpg from 400 miles of mostly motorways.

The onboard trip computer over-reads a touch and the long-term number stands at 27.3mpg at the moment.

Hello, yes indeed! My brim-to-brim mpg is just over 26mpg across almost 30,000 miles now, though to be fair I do use the car mostly for long-distance journeys.

My worst brim-to-brim reading was just under 17mpg from a number of local trips, and the best was just a shade over 30mpg from 400 miles of mostly motorways.

The onboard trip computer over-reads a touch and the long-term number stands at 27.3mpg at the moment.

Thanks, that seems mighty impressive in comparison to the M113. What's the avg speed?

Thanks, that seems mighty impressive in comparison to the M113. What's the avg speed?
It’s showing 38mph.

I’ve always understood that the M273 is about 10% better on fuel than the preceding M113, but that the later M278 is about 10% better again.

It’s showing 38mph.
I’ve always understood that the M273 is about 10% better on fuel than the preceding M113, but that the later M278 is about 10% better again.
Sounds right, with the caveat that as the engines have got more powerful, "we" become less efficient in their use, particularly near urban environments.

430bhp isn't an efficient way of getting a kid to school or heading to Westfield, so although the more powerful engine is more efficient than the 300bhp, not all of the potential gain gets achieved if you're pootling about.

Lovely car. Had one for six years before the cls55 and loved it. Plenty fast enough (and mine was a 5.0 so yours is a good step up in that department) and so smooth, quiet and comfortable. 211 still looks good today

Talking of E500s, I passed this example on Blackheath a few weeks ago. It was great to see a 17-year-old example going strong. I’d describe it as ‘patinated’, bearing plenty of scars, but clearly a well-used workhorse!

04B57FE0-52C3-4B4C-A674-A4F84FC91361.jpeg

Good spot! Only 86,000 miles so must just be an urban creature - speaking of low mpg!

Congratulations.

I was going to buy that one myself (sic) , but have been snow birding for a couple of months so wasn't able to see it to do the deal. (It's annoying because he'd had it in stock since September and I only noticed it after I'd gone away but hey ho, there'll be another along...sometime)

Loved the condition, mileage, alleged service history, and overall appearance, for what seemed like a low price.

It's rare to find a 5.5 with that kind of provenance, let alone an AMG sport version

Those wing badges are correct original 5.5 facelift spec, as is the bonnet badge, I think, for a rare AMG body optioned car.

The chrome mirror covers are odd - haven't seen those before - would think they're just an ad hoc ad on, possibly an AMG body option, but I'm not certain. Personally, I'd live with them for a while to see how they settle.

Here's the 2006 CAR review of the facelift car. Note the 5.5 wing badges on the black E500 at the top of the article (see image below):

Mercedes E500 facelift (2006) review

eclass_1_560px.jpg

And here's the write up of the £5000 AMG sport option that you've got there. The engine is fundamentally the same as the normal car, but there are some interesting tweaks to the 7G sport gearbox settings, exhaust, etc. Your car is not exactly the same (see the wheels), but that's fairly normal as the dealer or first owner would have personalised it.

Mercedes-Benz unleashes AMG sports package for E-Class

101821706c1736_058.jpg

Apologies if I am repeating myself.

Back in the mists of time, I had my C43 estate featured in Performance Car. The journo was Dan Trent and we got talking about my next car. I was thinking about either a C32 or E500 (pre-facelift). Dan agreed about the C32 but told me to forget the E500 5.0 and go for the facelift 5.5 instead. He'd recently been round the Ring in one and had been posting stupid times. Said the new steering/suspension/handling/power took it to another level.

In my head, the facelift 211 E500 is the stepping stone to the 212. Brilliant car.

Six months on from buying my very very pretty CL, I still think I should have kept the S212 E500 (5.5): more compact, plenty fast enough etc.

Not the first chap to have had his head turned by a pretty colour, I guess. And it's cheaper than an SL55 and an E500

Six months on from buying my very very pretty CL, I still think I should have kept the S212 E500 (5.5): more compact, plenty fast enough etc.

Not the first chap to have had his head turned by a pretty colour, I guess. And it's cheaper than an SL55 and an E500
😂

And there was a lovely S212 E500 on sale last Autumn too, you could have had that one. Oh, wait....

There are problems and then there are good problems... :)

There are problems and then there are good problems... :)
Kind of. To make it worse I've done about 2,000 miles in six months where normally I would have done 10,000. Mad. And no end in sight.

Kind of. To make it worse I've done about 2,000 miles in six months where normally I would have done 10,000. Mad. And no end in sight.

Had mine serviced today. I've done 900 miles in 6 months:-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom